Telematics-Whats the REAL reason?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I love life , love the life ups has given me , I just want the old ups back 10 yrs ago ups . I loved my just 10 yrs ago

I think all UPSers (except the retirees) feel that way to some extent.

The world has changed and UPS along with it.

A wasted wish it seems.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
b s we are honest are we woulndnt have been there maybe you have a problem
Really? If all drivers were honest that driver in FLA? wouldn't have been arrested for stealing. That is just one incident. I'm sure there are hundreds of others. If all drivers were honest and and worked like they are supposed to then 1/3 of the drivers that I work with wouldn't have been called into the office for seat belt violations.

rocket man

The irritating thing I have seen in my center was a driver being pulled aside and being told he was over-allowed on certain stops. They went back, looked at the trace and they were stops that had long driveways that the driver walked off because we had been instructed to stay out of residential driveways.

We also had other drivers that were taking phone calls and not punching out for break. No problem says you???? 15 minute phone calls, while parked should be break time.

The biggest surprise to me is that UPS buys telematics from another company. I am not positive, but I would imagine that also means that every center that is using telematics has to buy for the license out of savings from what Tmatics finds.
i dont no who has time for 15 minute phone calls i sure dont i keep my phone in back of pkg car and check it on break

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Cobra, if the hair salon is a known closure on Modays, you can either ask the PDS to have it built in to the system to be held on Mondays or you can sheet the stop as CLO H. This can be done at any time during the day, including 12-1.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Cobra, if the hair salon is a known closure on Modays, you can either ask the PDS to have it built in to the system to be held on Mondays or you can sheet the stop as CLO H. This can be done at any time during the day, including 12-1.

Sorry, Dave. Around here, CLO H can only be used on holidays (like this past Monday) and not between 12 and 1 nor after 5.

brown bomber

brown bomber
what's MODAY....is that a political statement, or one regarding your own life style

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I learned something about telematics yesterday, that I did not know and had not heard anyone here mention. Our center manager told everyone, yesterday, to make sure their lunch and break times were entered and not to deliver during them as it red flags those stops. This was the best news I had heard. Of course, we all know that we have customers that will 'walk up' to get a pkg and it's not a big deal but we also have R&G's that work thru lunch and breaks. Maybe, just maybe, this will finally put an end to this problem (NOT HOLDING MY BREATHE).

Griff

Our building is full of morons who run all day and skip their breaks and we have been on telematics for years now. I believe the theory behind telematics is two pronged. One, to catch the "worst offender" drivers in the country for unsafe actions and theft of time/bonus. Two, to reduce the number of operations managers needed (main reason, imo). In the future you will see 1 center manager managing multiple centers, less oncar supervisors and a much more automated system of management.

thessalonian13

I have been racking my brain over and over again trying to figure out the REAL reason for telematics. IF its true that they cant discipline over things that are found out through telematics then whats the point? They cant dispatch worth a hoot right now and keep people from 9.5 and all telematics is going to do is slow drivers down so guess what. 9.5 days are going to go up. You guys already running this am I right in thinking this at all? I just dont see the point in spending millions of dollars on something that we just flat out dont need. UPS is talking about cutting costs and such then why spend money on something such as this? We are already watched, spied on, and manipulated enough! Anybody out there know the REAL reason???
BECAUSE MANAGEMENT IS CLUELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can give them all the tools you want and they still will screw everything up. My job as a package car driver now is fix all of management's screw ups. I have stopped trying to reason with them. They just don't get it or want to get it. The only thing I can control is my safety. I don't rush and work safely.