Termination

UPS087

Hello, so I’m currently terminated from UPS after being loyal to the company for close to 10 years. Here is why (still fighting)

I delivered a package to a house with a longer driveway that had a circle drive. While pulling in a noticed two dogs running along side of the truck but nothing concerning. Proceeded to make the delivery. Closed both doors and windows (raining and cold that day). As I look in my left mirror I see one dog by my back rear driver side wheel but not too close to truck. Look in my left and see the other dog by garage. I take off and proceeded to my next delivery.

Two days later I get a call saying they are taking me out of service because I hit a dog and there is video proof of it. So they pull me off route at 2pm and tell me to talk to union rep. I didn’t sign anything or nor did they say I was terminated.

Fast forward the following week (last week) for the hearing and they had their minds up before the hearing even started. Everything I said or my union rep said they were not buying. (In the video when I start to pull off, the dog that was on my left rear sneaks up all the way around my front left tire, never making contact with it and that’s when it gets hung up and choked under the truck and then at the end you see the dog laying at the end of the driveway).

I will be traveling 5 hours to my next hearing to fight for my job but it’s pretty self explanatory and the video speaks for itself.

What do y’all think? Please be positive as possible as im still shook from the whole thing. (I’m a dog lover)

Also let’s add that my union rep doesn’t think I’ll get back pay for this.

In my short time with the company, ive heard of people getting their jobs back who probably had no business getting it back (from what I heard). To be fair, this will probably be one of those things where you're likely to go back to work but unlikely to get back pay. Are FT drivers allowed to even pull up on a driveway? Either way, just an unfortunate bad choice. We all make them.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Hello, so I’m currently terminated from UPS after being loyal to the company for close to 10 years. Here is why (still fighting)

I delivered a package to a house with a longer driveway that had a circle drive. While pulling in a noticed two dogs running along side of the truck but nothing concerning. Proceeded to make the delivery. Closed both doors and windows (raining and cold that day). As I look in my left mirror I see one dog by my back rear driver side wheel but not too close to truck. Look in my left and see the other dog by garage. I take off and proceeded to my next delivery.

Two days later I get a call saying they are taking me out of service because I hit a dog and there is video proof of it. So they pull me off route at 2pm and tell me to talk to union rep. I didn’t sign anything or nor did they say I was terminated.

Fast forward the following week (last week) for the hearing and they had their minds up before the hearing even started. Everything I said or my union rep said they were not buying. (In the video when I start to pull off, the dog that was on my left rear sneaks up all the way around my front left tire, never making contact with it and that’s when it gets hung up and choked under the truck and then at the end you see the dog laying at the end of the driveway).

I will be traveling 5 hours to my next hearing to fight for my job but it’s pretty self explanatory and the video speaks for itself.

What do y’all think? Please be positive as possible as im still shook from the whole thing. (I’m a dog lover)

You didn’t feel a thump
I ran over a few dogs in my time and always felt a thump

If you are fortunate enough to get your job back you will definitely not get any back pay.
And you better be completely honest at the hearing

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
You were pulled off your route and are driving five hours to hearings because you hit a dog?
Me thinks they want you gone for something else.
Dogs that are not tied up, off leash, and running free are fair game. I never hit a dog that was tied up.
When I did hit a dog, the owners were pissed of coarse and would call in, but there was never anything done.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Time to lawyer up. Dogs are property. You can't be fired for property damage you had zero knowledge of. You might also have a suit against the dog owners. They are responsible for keeping them from chasing vehicles

Time to lawyer up. Dogs are property. You can't be fired for property damage you had zero knowledge of. You might also have a suit against the dog owners. They are responsible for keeping them from chasing vehicles
Even when you're on the owner's property?
It'll be a different story if it wasn't on owner's property

One day at a time

You were pulled off your route and are driving five hours to hearings because you hit a dog?
Dogs that are not tied up, off leash, and running free are fair game. I never hit a dog that was tied up.
When I did hit a dog, the owners were pissed of coarse and would call in, but there was never anything done.
Hitting a dog on their property in their driveway and not reporting it is bad. In the street no problem.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.

Should be lucky they just got you fired...

Dog wasn't attacking you and you ran it over.

They should have just waited for their next delivery from you.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Even when you're on the owner's property?
It'll be a different story if it wasn't on owner's property
My state has laws that require the owner to keep control of their dogs. The owner requested delivery, therefore it is reasonable to expect them to keep the dogs out of harms way, especially those with strong chase instinct.

My state has laws that require the owner to keep control of their dogs. The owner requested delivery, therefore it is reasonable to expect them to keep the dogs out of harms way, especially those with strong chase instincts.
Another question is was he allowed to drive up that driveway or was he supposed to walk it off
Just playing the devil's advocate here

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
This was my exact thought. If you don’t want your dogs ran over then don’t have free range dogs. This is on the homeowner.

The fact that UPS is taking such a hard stance on this makes me think this guy has had other problems or generally is just a major headache to management so they’re trying to hang him out to dry. We are told that if an animal runs in front of you, hit it. Don’t abruptly change lanes and risk hitting another motorist or risk losing control of the vehicle. Pump the brakes a little, sure but don’t lock them up. Something stinks here.