thanksgiving and the day after..?

pkg handler

are we required to work ...? are we off or do we have the option to work for time and a half or something how do both these days work ?

dillweed

At my center we are off on Thanksging and get paid for it if we have acquired seniority.

Friday is a small sort and only a few people are needed. It's straight pay. Our sort only takes a couple hours but we can stay and clean or something to get our 3 1/2 hours.

They ask from the top down and force from the bottom up for people to work it. Rarely does it get to the point of forcing anyone to work. Lots of folks need the extra $$ for the holidays.

pkg handler

At my center we are off on Thanksging and get paid for it if we have acquired seniority.

Friday is a small sort and only a few people are needed. It's straight pay. Our sort only takes a couple hours but we can stay and clean or something to get our 3 1/2 hours.

They ask from the top down and force from the bottom up for people to work it. Rarely does it get to the point of forcing anyone to work. Lots of folks need the extra $$ for the holidays.

so is there work thanksgiving if you want it ..and so is it extra or just base pay..? im there from 3:40 to about 8 :40 everyday and for the day after too

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The Friday after Thanksgiving is different if you are a Package Driver. You get paid eight hours for the holiday, then double-time if you come in and deliver Next Day and Second Day Air. In a way, you are making triple time. You can demand eight hours if you like. I haven't done it in a few years, but it is easy money. A Bid List is put up and usually we have enough volunteers. I have got to the point now that four days off straight is more important than extra cash to me. I could use the rest and I have family coming in from out of state.:sleeping:

pkg handler

The Friday after Thanksgiving is different if you are a Package Driver. You get paid eight hours for the holiday, then double-time if you come in and deliver Next Day and Second Day Air. In a way, you are making triple time. You can demand eight hours if you like. I haven't done it in a few years, but it is easy money. A Bid List is put up and usually we have enough volunteers. I have got to the point now that four days off straight is more important than extra cash to me. I could use the rest and I have family coming in from out of state.:sleeping:

lol i hear ya 4 days off sounds great ..but im just a preloader and my hours are 3:40- 8 :40 am ...so if i were to work thanksgiving and the day after it would be fine i wouldnt miss out on the holiday and would be able to make some extra cash too... i just wanted to know for p/t's like myself if i could work both days ..and if so ..is it at base pay ?...for refrence i work in pa

IDoLessWorkThanMost

lol i hear ya 4 days off sounds great ..but im just a preloader and my hours are 3:40- 8 :40 am ...so if i were to work thanksgiving and the day after it would be fine i wouldnt miss out on the holiday and would be able to make some extra cash too... i just wanted to know for p/t's like myself if i could work both days ..and if so ..is it at base pay ?...for refrence i work in pa

I'm pretty sure they'll have work, but the question is how much seniority do you have...usually they pick from most senior down....then again, most people want the days off, so you should be able to get work.

pkg handler

I'm pretty sure they'll have work, but the question is how much seniority do you have...usually they pick from most senior down....then again, most people want the days off, so you should be able to get work.

well we seem to be a pretty big hub ( philadelphia ) and its a huge facility and they expect alot of volume * more then expected for this time of yr and compared to last yr * and i could see how ppl wouldnt want to work on thanksgiving too ...but i should have work the whole week mon - fri ..question is...is there any special pay for the thur(thanksgiving) and fri ?

DorkHead

Thanksgiving day is a holiday, Friday is a holiday. 1DA, 2DA, 3DA delivered on Fri. Full time drivers have choice to deliver. Paid straight time. So, straight time for a few hours + 8 hours holiday pay = double time for the hours you work. This is in New York State.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

well we seem to be a pretty big hub ( philadelphia ) and its a huge facility and they expect alot of volume * more then expected for this time of yr and compared to last yr * and i could see how ppl wouldnt want to work on thanksgiving too ...but i should have work the whole week mon - fri ..question is...is there any special pay for the thur(thanksgiving) and fri ?

Well if you don't work the holiday, you should get straight time both days. If you work Thursday, you get double time and a half for the holiday and working. As for friday, if you work, I believe it's double time and a half, as well.

30andout

Could it be that you know you are going to get more overtime in the next four weeks than you want?

Johney

Here they only have to pay you double time if you are forced to work,so if you volanteer they aren't required to pay double only straight time for hours worked and can't requst 8 unless forced.

20atPHL

If you're a hub pkg handler at PHL you are not working Thanksgiving Day. Some ramp crews will be in, and feeder dispatch people and thats all. Friday Preload and Twi will be there; I'm not sure about the Night Hub, but I don't think so. Saturday Night Hub will work as usual and Monday the only out-of-the-ordinary is that the Day Hub is off.

ikoi62

1DA, 2DA, 3DA delivered on Fri.
correct me if im wrong but 3da service is a ground service.
i remember when we started that service the first thanksgiving holiday the made us deliver them and the a few months later we got a grievance check for delivering grounds on a holiday.

Pollocknbrown

correct me if im wrong but 3da service is a ground service.
i remember when we started that service the first thanksgiving holiday the made us deliver them and the a few months later we got a grievance check for delivering grounds on a holiday.

It depends on where is being shipped to and from. If i was to send one to Texas from my home (buffalo) it would go on an air plane and get off somewheres in between. If it was to go to say, Illinois would go on a truck.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
It's called 3 Day Select and it does not matter if it's been on an airplane or not, it should not be delivered on a Air Service only holiday!

PAS'd out

This ain't rocket science
are we required to work ...?
Depends, they are both UPS holidays so you are only required to work if there are not enough volunteers to work. The remainder of positions needed are filled in reverse order of seniority.

…are we off or do we have the option to work for time and a half or something…
I imagine that depends on your supplement. Article 40, section j of the Master Agreement is somewhat vague. Full time package drivers, forced or not, receive holiday pay based on what their supplement calls for. Up here we get paid 8 straight hours for the day and then time and a half for the hours that are worked that day.

Now here is a great story from our building. At PCM on Friday our center manager gave us the rundown (in his world) on how the day after Thanksgiving would work. As I stated above we get paid time and a half for our hours worked the day after Thanksgiving and New Years Eve Day plus 8 hours straight time whether we volunteer or are forced. Prior to this contract, which is in its fifth year, if you volunteered it was straight time, if you were forced you would get time and a half, both in addition to the 8 hours of straight time holiday pay.
So he informs us that if we volunteer for the day after Thanksgiving we will receive air driver pay but if we are forced to work we will receive time and a half. Our BA called him on it to which he said that he never said that. Funny thing is three of us called the union that day, unbeknownst to one another, with the same story. My take is that he was trying to discourage senior drivers from working that day to save a buck. My understanding is that he was the only manager in the division to pull that stunt.

Gee, wonder why our management team scores so poorly on the ERI surveys in terms of trust.