The Big Reveal

Thebrownblob

You've answered your own complaint.....AFTER taxes. You've got a damn nice pension if you are by law law subject to backup withholding and it would appear that is his case. Backup withholding is usually 25%. If this is the case then he would gross about $4800 a month which is about the average.
I don’t know any retired ups driver getting 7K a month just from his/her pension at least where I am.

bacha29

Exactly. A career UPS driver is retiring with probably an average about 6k per month pension. That's going to vary, of course, with years of service, position etc. I have a few friends that drive for a local Teamster company that has a contract similar to UPS and 30 years of service/PEER is about 7k. Plus, they get retiree medical for their spouses under 55.

At FedEx you get basically nothing but a 401k match, and your benefits suck, so money you could possibly be putting away into retirement goes to pay bills. There's really no comparison. Over the years, FedEx killed their pension, profit sharing, employee stock purchase, and made their medical and dental plans a joke. There's much more, but I don't want to fill the page.
You think that's bad Ground's even worse. Rates and settlements based in terms of total dollars available to pay contractor employed drivers is at best about 60% of the average UPS driver compensation.
Now to make the job look more attractive that it actually is contractors will front load it with cash leaving nothing at the back end in terms of employer funded health insurance and pension making the job itself a complete sham .

The other little scam they run is pay by stop. It's 21st century sharecropping. You give the box donkey a tiny share of what the box grosses thereby relegating the driver to literally killing himself trying to run enough stops in the day just to survive and barely at that. And in the process destroying every muscle and joint in their body until they can no longer plow enough acres, chop enough cotton or shock enough wheat in a day to keep in the good graces of their "massa" and plantation owner.

Indeed, it is disturbing to see what's going on with that company. It's a matter of public knowledge that shippers have transformed Ground into a moving and storage company and an appliance. delivery, installation and setup company....If that isn't outrageous enough Fat Freddy has now burdened it with a growing share of Express volume.

There's talk of a boycott of some type on March 20. Lots of bombastic talk leading up to it. We've heard it all before. Come 3-20 it will completely fizzle.....Fortunately come 12:01 AM on August 1 2023 the UPS boys might have the chance to show the FDX people how an organized, prepared and united labor force can impact the terms until which it is willing to work.

btrlov

Most FedEx managers wouldn't last a day at UPS. In fact, in earlier days a lot of Express managers had been terminated by UPS and then hired for their "experience". You are so correct about "trinkets and bagels". It's a lot cheaper to have pizza parties, BBQs, and bagels rather than pay competitive wages. You'd be surprised how many employees fall for this and think "Wow, what a great company!! A free BBQ lunch and donuts!!". The $15 or so they spent on your lunch saves them millions in wages and benefits. Ever notice that whenever a FedEx Freight location (NLRA) threatens to go union, the BBQ Squad is dispatched from Memphis and a team of managers suddenly gets "concerned". They toss out a tiny raise and the drivers think they "won". In fact, they just lost again. Bigly.

Agreed on the inability to organize right now, even though conditions are ripe for it. A revolving door workforce doesn't have much skin in the game, and The Teamsters know it. They won't touch Express. And, no, there is little foresight on the part of most employees. It was so frustrating to see so many people be so ignorant of their situation and be willing to take zero risks to possibly improve the working environment. Scared sheep go willingly to the slaughter.

A topped-out UPS driver is well into 6 figures with OT and has an outstanding benefits program, including a real pension and medical plans.
thank you for your 85 years of service. here is your fedex paperclip (to keep ur resumes together and to remind that you have no marketable skills and are trapped here with no progessing wage). Oh yeah, acknowledged this OLCC for punching in 15 seconds late (even tho the whole sort is chronically late because the pilots run the show anyway). Oh yeah when u get off the road "come see me", u have do this totally "anonymous" survey that i will "annoymously" collect back from you and see all ur answers when i get it back(because telling a subordinate "look out for me" totally encourages honest feedback)

Ok guys lets start stretch and flex because i care about ur well being while ill collapse ur route and give u double the work. When u guys get back we have Hamburgers ready on grill at noon( because noon is when the drivers come back!?). And Yes we will serve u( we dont trust u to serve urself, u might take a extra portion of overcooked hamburger)

Can anyone else name some interesting fedexism?

lilwizbiz

Exactly. A career UPS driver is retiring with probably an average about 6k per month pension. That's going to vary, of course, with years of service, position etc. I have a few friends that drive for a local Teamster company that has a contract similar to UPS and 30 years of service/PEER is about 7k. Plus, they get retiree medical for their spouses under 55.

At FedEx you get basically nothing but a 401k match, and your benefits suck, so money you could possibly be putting away into retirement goes to pay bills. There's really no comparison. Over the years, FedEx killed their pension, profit sharing, employee stock purchase, and made their medical and dental plans a joke. There's much more, but I don't want to fill the page.
So max out the 401 match and in 30 years you’ll have over a million in there. I don’t see what the problem is.

bacha29

So max out the 401 match and in 30 years you’ll have over a million in there. I don’t see what the problem is.
You might be able to do that but it would require that you sacrifice even the most basic of life experiences. You know, marriage, children, personal residence, working vacation weeks taking the money instead, working a side gig job. So on and so forth.

Yes, it's doable but it exacts a heavy toll.

Aquaman

thank you for your 85 years of service. here is your fedex paperclip (to keep ur resumes together and to remind that you have no marketable skills and are trapped here with no progessing wage). Oh yeah, acknowledged this OLCC for punching in 15 seconds late (even tho the whole sort is chronically late because the pilots run the show anyway). Oh yeah when u get off the road "come see me", u have do this totally "anonymous" survey that i will "annoymously" collect back from you and see all ur answers when i get it back(because telling a subordinate "look out for me" totally encourages honest feedback)

Ok guys lets start stretch and flex because i care about ur well being while ill collapse ur route and give u double the work. When u guys get back we have Hamburgers ready on grill at noon( because noon is when the drivers come back!?). And Yes we will serve u( we dont trust u to serve urself, u might take a extra portion of overcooked hamburger)

Haha it’s almost like you’ve worked here a long time.

El Morado Diablo

Today was the last day for one of our couriers. He was running late so our manager was asked if he was going to give him an OLCC. He said no, but admitted he had to give the guy an OLCC last week because he missed a batch. No free passes, even for people who have already given notice. ;)

AB831

“The World on Time” LOL

bacha29

“The World on Time” LOL
Might be the public slogan but over at Ground it goes something like this:

With the mail RD stands for rural delivery. With us it stands for rightfully delayed.
They're out there because they choose to be... Not because they have to be.
And if you can't truck it.... friend!*@K it!.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I openly attempted to organize under The Teamsters. I notice how you've deflected (again) instead of answering any of my previous questions. Typical. Reporting the unethical and/or illegal at FedEx usually results in the termination of the reporting party. It's then up to the legal system to bring FedEx to justice. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen nearly enough.
LOL, you're so full of crap it's coming out your ears.

I'm sorry for not wasting my time answering every dumb intemperate question you can think of. They've all be asked and answered before by me and others. Don't take this the wrong way but you just post the same old dumb crap over and over. You just want to pee and moan about the company like you have for the past 15 years.

bacha29

LOL, you're so full of crap it's coming out your ears.

I'm sorry for not wasting my time answering every dumb intemperate question you can think of. They've all be asked and answered before by me and others. Don't take this the wrong way but you just post the same old dumb crap over and over. You just want to pee and moan about the company like you have for the past 15 years.
The problem is that you're the one who's answering the questions.....or you think you are.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
And in thirty years a million will be equal to about 200,000 today.
How does someone barely making it on FedEx money save $1M in 30 years? They don't. That isn't very much even now, given the cost of retirement. Being a millionaire isn't a big deal any more, nor is a million a particularly large sum.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
How does someone barely making it on FedEx money save $1M in 30 years? They don't. That isn't very much even now, given the cost of retirement. Being a millionaire isn't a big deal any more, nor is a million a particularly large sum.
Seven thousand or so per year for 30 years will get you a million if you can get a decent rate of return, which isn't hard to do.

fatboy33

You might be able to do that but it would require that you sacrifice even the most basic of life experiences. You know, marriage, children, personal residence, working vacation weeks taking the money instead, working a side gig job. So on and so forth.

Yes, it's doable but it exacts a heavy toll.
There's two types. One's who enjoy life as they save money and the other who only saves spending nothing. IMO, the latter folks are just cheap and use "saving" as an excuse not to spend :happy-very:. Most of us enjoy life while we can still walk upright. But we have this one who boasts about how much he has in his retirement and savings accounts. He does nothing. Even his wife will fly back to see her family overseas and he still won't travel. His life to live but Im so glad I don't have to.

bbsam

Staff member
I think it might be if there’s a catastrophic recession around the corner.

Last edited:

bacha29

There's two types. One's who enjoy life as they save money and the other who only saves spending nothing. IMO, the latter folks are just cheap and use "saving" as an excuse not to spend :happy-very:. Most of us enjoy life while we can still walk upright. But we have this one who boasts about how much he has in his retirement and savings accounts. He does nothing. Even his wife will fly back to see her family overseas and he still won't travel. His life to live but Im so glad I don't have to.
In every individuals life there are several dramatic and completely unforeseen turn of events that can and often does transform their lives into something they never dreamed possible.

As a number of financial planners have noted a divorce on average will cost you 10 of your peak earning years. When you factor in litigation costs with property settlements that are often liquidations for "take it off your hands" prices, that 10 year number is not excessive.

Then you've got healthcare costs. The driver most responsible for the creation of the ACA was the fact that 86% of all personal bankruptcies were due to medical costs. And companies today are doing everything they can get away with in order to divest themselves of "legacy costs" and principal among them are retired employee healthcare costs. And nursing home costs? Medicare only pays for the first 21 days followed by and additional 100 days less a very sizeable deductible.....After that....it's all on you. And with social programs under constant daily attack from MAGA's and the so called "Freedom Caucus" it's becoming less and less likely that they'll still even be around to throw you a lifeline.

410K? The only retirement plan whose deposits are federally insured is Social Security. The rest including 401k"s are at the mercy of the marketplace. And we've all seen just how volatile they are, have been in the past and will continue to be in the future.

Some people do have a certain "here today...gone tomorrow" approach to life. That's fine. Trouble is in this time and age there is no gone tomorrow because more often than not it was gone the afternoon of the previous day.

No matter your family structure.....in the end.....the only person you actually have to count on....is yourself.

Aquaman

Who’s genuinely happier?….. the guy who has to spend money to “live life”. Or the guy who doesn’t.