The Express employee massacre continues.

What'dyabringmetoday???

If UPS was making much higher profits because they paid similar to FedEx Ground, with few if any benefits, and the employees had no chance to unionize, they'd have constant turnover. The guys who have stuck with UPS for decades have done so because they can make a good living and take care of their families. They work very hard in return. And it takes character to stick with it. Anyone who sticks with Ground long term is likely there because they don't have alternatives. Either they live in areas with few opportunities or they can't compete in areas that do for whatever reason. Pointing to exceptions to the rule won't lessen the turnover.
Most of the FedEx ground people I see appear to be homeless. I guess it is better than welfare though.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Oh, man, he said he'd seem them all and it was supposed to be announced at the Sept. investor shindig with implementation to follow shortly thereafter. He went into great detail about what was going to happen, and how. Turns out there was nothing, the two systems were almost entirely imcompatible from a tech standpoint, let alone from an operational one, and the whole concept was nothing more than an intemperate idea.

He was the version of crazy that can pass for maybe sort of normal until he just can't do it anymore and the dam breaks. Unlike you know who.
Grand Master Shill, meet Stockholm Man.

Artee

A couple of years ago, I discussed how Express was getting ready to consolidate some smaller stations into larger 'mega' stations. You can pull up the postings, its all here for all to read. I actually saw blueprints for a number of these planned stations, which were state of the art facilities.

Then something happened - they didn't get built with the exception of those that were REALLY needed (smaller stations in leased property which were forced out, leaving Express with no choice but to go forward).

This was yet again another business plan of Express which they dithered on, and in many cases put off indefinitely. The reason was cash flow. They had other things in mind back in late 2011 (I wonder what....) for their cash in 2012 and 2013. The money went to aircraft, and the current employee buyouts...

Express WILL consolidate many of their smaller stations into larger mega-stations. They've got Office to provide the 'customer service' for Express product (written extensively about this), so Express doesn't need to have WSCs spread out like they needed 10+ years ago. In addition, with the increasing span of control being forced on operations, having mega-stations ensures that at least one operations manager is present at all times. In some of the smaller stations right now (that have undergone a reduction in the number of ops managers), there are times when there isn't ANY manager on-site when operations are happening. This is usually in the PM during the reload, but Express doesn't like to have an operation running without at least one manager present.

Express knows that it can't continue to retrofit old buildings and have that be cost effective. So the 'plans' are to build mega-stations out in some empty field (low land acquisition cost), then build a facility which they believe they can get 30 years of use out of. The layout of the facility is optimized for traffic and package flow through the building, with optimized loading docks for CTVs. The buildings AREN'T placed to facilitate easy customer access (many of them are planned to be MILES outside normal commercial districts), they are placed to minimize land acquisition cost and more or less to encourage customers to utilize FedEx Office as their pickup and drop off points for shipments.

I'd look for Express to push ahead with this starting with the beginning of FY 15 (June 2014). They'll have the expense of the buyouts pretty much behind them at that point, and will be looking at the next phase of the reorganization to put cash into. They'll also have a better idea of just how big they need to have these stations, with all the part-time routes being run out of them (more vehicles needed), along with a better computation of the additional stem times involved (station consolidation by definition will result in an INCREASE in total stem time incurred in getting volume into and out of the larger consolidated station). An increase in stem time will mean an increase in routes - all to insure time commitment is met..

Mutineer

Mr. Mutineer, When the NAFTA treaty came up for a vote in Congress the majority of the Democrat members actually voted against the bill. But that's not the real issue here.

I have never disputed that. There are many members of BOTH parties to blame for NAFTA.

I was very much more often in agreement with the Democrats of thirty years ago. During the same era, the beginning of the Clinton regime is when my current opinion of that party began an uninterrupted, downward spiral.
What we're seeing here is an ongoing devaluation of a labor force employed in an essential industry.

You are really preaching to the choir on that subject. It's easy to see how labor is devalued. That happens when jobs are exported, and labor is imported.
UPS knows that the continued viability of the industry requires the employment of high character, high productivity, high integrity individuals and procuring such people will cost money in order to maintain the standard.

Fat Freddy and Raj think that they can maintain the standard using low wage labor drawn from and it's time we finally have to say it from the lowest echelons of American society.

I agree with that assessment as well.
And I think that on this subject; the philosophy of Fat Freddy and Raj will prevail, and UPS will eventually follow suit.

Except the "standards" are going to be rewritten to accommodate their workforce of choice.

Last edited:

Guitarman01

Yeah idk. I delivered 20k cancer medication today. I have a few on my route getting that unfortunately. It's serious enough the cancer can mutate if they don't get it on time. I couldnt imagine the risk that FedEx would be taking selling that to an outside source. I don't think it's going to happen.

yadig

Yeah idk. I delivered 20k cancer medication today. I have a few on my route getting that unfortunately. It's serious enough the cancer can mutate if they don't get it on time. I couldnt imagine the risk that FedEx would be taking selling that to an outside source. I don't think it's going to happen.
It’s gonna happen and they don’t care. You a newbie?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
FedEx already has their money, what do they care?