The Express employee massacre continues.

bbsam

Staff member
We heard from a local Express guy they run less than a third in volume than we do every day. Except for peak season and special time delivery and pickup situations, we could absorb that tomorrow.

dezguy

16 weeks severance for 30 years employment is an absolute insult.

Are employment laws that much different down south because they would not get away with that in Canada. A 30 year employee would be owed much more than 16 weeks.

Feel horrible for the people affected.

MAKAVELI

We heard from a local Express guy they run less than a third in volume than we do every day. Except for peak season and special time delivery and pickup situations, we could absorb that tomorrow.
Sure you could, but at the cost of service. Until your guys are running around like a bunch of 🐓. Getting paid peanuts compared to UPS and quitting left and right, you'll never get it.

!Retired!

Are employment laws that much different down south because they would not get away with that in Canada. A 30 year employee would be owed much more than 16 weeks.

I still have lots of friends with the company and hate what might happen to them. I've gotten a few phone calls asking me what their options are regarding pension, 401, etc
Severance is not required by law. Most states are 'at-will', which means they could just let people go and save a lot of money. I've seen the photo of the paper going around and, until someone actually posts they actually received some kind of severance, still don't believe it.

bbsam

Staff member
Sure you could, but at the cost of service. Until your guys are running around like a bunch of 🐓. Getting paid peanuts compared to UPS and quitting left and right, you'll never get it.
Maybe. Maybe we add another 20 routes in the building, shrink areas and make it doable.

Now the bit about “paid peanuts compared to UPS”, when has that not been the case?

bbsam

Staff member
I still have lots of friends with the company and hate what might happen to them. I've gotten a few phone calls asking me what their options are regarding pension, 401, etc
Severance is not required by law. Most states are 'at-will', which means they could just let people go and save a lot of money. I've seen the photo of the paper going around and, until someone actually posts they actually received some kind of severance, still don't believe it.
Oh. Like the two stage pay increases?

MAKAVELI

Maybe. Maybe we add another 20 routes in the building, shrink areas and make it doable.

Now the bit about “paid peanuts compared to UPS”, when has that not been the case?
So you're willing to hire more drivers, buy more trucks, fuel and labor for nothing more than the extra volume? Good luck with that. Lol
The comparison of pay has always been there but now by absorbing Express your guys would be doing the exact same job as UPS.

MAKAVELI

By the way I don't know if you Ground guys didn't notice the plan to use third party airlift for deferred freight. That freight will most likely arriving later than the priority freight to the stations. Good luck with that. 🤣

bbsam

Staff member
So you're willing to hire more drivers, buy more trucks, fuel and labor for nothing more than the extra volume? Good luck with that. Lol
The comparison of pay has always been there but now by absorbing Express your guys would be doing the exact same job as UPS.
That’s probably the stickiest point the company will have to figure out. Their brand is on the line. They will have to increase settlements to protect it. I don’t know if they’ll get it right immediately but I doubt it. What I do know from watching them pay out contingency mone is that they will pay damn near anything they have to to do it. Ground has a lot of underlying problems that money does fix. They’ll try everything possible to ignore that fact but eventually that’s where they end up. Sad part is that if they thought through the issues first, they could save billions just by not being cheap tyrants.

As far as myself, I already have the trucks. I was one of the lucky ones who was forcibly downsized due to crappy performance after the 2021 peak season.

bbsam

Staff member
By the way I don't know if you Ground guys didn't notice the plan to use third party airlift for deferred freight. That freight will most likely arriving later than the priority freight to the stations. Good luck with that. 🤣
Contractually speaking, we have a 9:45 cut time.

What does that mean for contractors? It means that beyond that point, late freight is they’re problem.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
That’s probably the stickiest point the company will have to figure out. Their brand is on the line. They will have to increase settlements to protect it. I don’t know if they’ll get it right immediately but I doubt it. What I do know from watching them pay out contingency mone is that they will pay damn near anything they have to to do it. Ground has a lot of underlying problems that money does fix. They’ll try everything possible to ignore that fact but eventually that’s where they end up. Sad part is that if they thought through the issues first, they could save billions just by not being cheap tyrants.

As far as myself, I already have the trucks. I was one of the lucky ones who was forcibly downsized due to crappy performance after the 2021 peak season.
Maybe they're trimming/leaning down for an attractive purchase by a company in Seattle that needs and Airline Operating Certificate and some better delivery infrastructure.

bbsam

Staff member
Maybe they're trimming/leaning down for an attractive purchase by a company in Seattle that needs and Airline Operating Certificate and some better delivery infrastructure.
That’s been a rumor for years and probably makes more sense now than before. I think Amazon may have underestimated what it takes to build a delivery network.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Contractually speaking, we have a 9:45 cut time.

What does that mean for contractors? It means that beyond that point, late freight is they’re problem.
Uh, you mean their problem. Anyway, aren’t you forgetting that FedEx could amend that 9:45 cut off time to their liking? Nothing in your contract is binding.

bbsam

Staff member
Uh, you mean their problem. Anyway, aren’t you forgetting that FedEx could amend that 9:45 cut off time to their liking? Nothing in your contract is binding.
Correct. “Their”.

My experience in 2021 wa that when 9:45 came, we shut the doors and left.

FedexCares

Welcome to the USA where corporations control the politicians and have for decades now. Both sides are responsible for this. The blue collar worker has absolutely no power anymore, we are completely at the whim of our corporate overlords.