The MD11

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
im a doctor but i work at Fedex lol

Here's one for you. I know I'm hopelessly out-matched by your brilliance, but please answer this question, OK? Your username is FedEx Driver, but you're a foot courier, and not a driver at all? The biggest thing you "drive" is a handtruck. That's probably a good thing for the rest of us.

bbsam

Staff member
Your lack of aviation knowledge is pathetic. Do a little research on the MD11 and get back to me with an informed opinion instead of a weak attack.
Not an attack. Simple observation. MD11's take off and land every day quite safely, no? I'd say if anything were a systemic problem it's the under-paid and aging air traffic control system. And never have claimed aviation knowledge nor do I care much about it. Simply noting where your posts went on two similar tragedies. By other posts today I'd say others notice the same thing.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Not an attack. Simple observation. MD11's take off and land every day quite safely, no? I'd say if anything were a systemic problem it's the under-paid and aging air traffic control system. And never have claimed aviation knowledge nor do I care much about it. Simply noting where your posts went on two similar tragedies. By other posts today I'd say others notice the same thing.

You know nothing about the MD11. I have talked with an engineer who helped design it. From the get-go, it was a compromised aircraft that was inherently unsafe. In order to increase fuel efficiency, the engineers reduced the surface area of the tail, helping to create the Deathstar scenario I've talked about in high wind and/or crosswind situations. If you don't believe me, ask the pilots who fly it, and determine how much confidence they have in the plane in questionable weather situations. That's what happens when you try to apply 1990's technology to an airframe designed in the late 1960's (the DC-10, on which the MD11 is based). Your "analysis" that the problem lies in the air traffic control system is ill-informed and proves just how little you know about this airplane,and commercial aviation in general.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
im a doctor but i work at Fedex lol

Where's your answer? You remind me of Paul Blart, the mall cop in the movie. You have no idea of what it's like to be real courier who drives a truck (not a cart) and deals with icy streets, pit bulls, rude and aggressive drivers and all the rest of the fun of being an "actual" courier. When it's snowing 6 inches an hour outside, you're inside your 72 degree high-rise discovering which receptionist has the biggest boobs. No comparison. Matching wits with you is like a razor blade versus a cube of quivering Jell-O. No contest.

bbsam

Staff member
I've talked to a highly placed web designer with Microsoft, but I still have no idea what his actual job is.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I've talked to a highly placed web designer with Microsoft, but I still have no idea what his actual job is.

This engineer actually helped design the aircraft. Big difference. His actual job was to create the shape of the wings on a computer. Definitive enough for you?

bbsam

Staff member
This engineer actually helped design the aircraft. Big difference. His actual job was to create the shape of the wings on a computer. Definitive enough for you?
I can't even describe the things this guy (my brother) designs.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I can't even describe the things this guy (my brother) designs.

I'm sure he's one smart guy, just like the fellow who created the shape of the MD11 wing. According to him, MD-Douglas was very upfront with customers that the stability of the aircraft would be compromised in return for increased fuel efficiency. The airlines didn't think that it would be that big of a deal. Obviously, they were wrong. The only major passenger airline still operating the MD11 is KLM. What should that tell you about the MD11?

Also, you paint a picture of me as being uncaring about the loss of our 2 pilots. On the contrary, I was very upset, and their unnecessary deaths are the big reason I've objected to FedEx continuing to use the MD11. Even when it was very apparent that this was a dangerous airplane, FedEx continued to buy more of them because they were inexpensive. In addition to the 2 that actually flipped, there have been many other incidents with our MD11's. Unfortunately, I fully expect there to be more problems. It is a defective product, plain and simple.

quadro

I'm sure he's one smart guy, just like the fellow who created the shape of the MD11 wing. According to him, MD-Douglas was very upfront with customers that the stability of the aircraft would be compromised in return for increased fuel efficiency. The airlines didn't think that it would be that big of a deal. Obviously, they were wrong. The only major passenger airline still operating the MD11 is KLM. What should that tell you about the MD11?

Also, you paint a picture of me as being uncaring about the loss of our 2 pilots. On the contrary, I was very upset, and their unnecessary deaths are the big reason I've objected to FedEx continuing to use the MD11. Even when it was very apparent that this was a dangerous airplane, FedEx continued to buy more of them because they were inexpensive. In addition to the 2 that actually flipped, there have been many other incidents with our MD11's. Unfortunately, I fully expect there to be more problems. It is a defective product, plain and simple.
UPS uses the MD-11 as does Lufthansa cargo. Not that that means much of anything but interesting that other than KLM all are used just for cargo.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
UPS uses the MD-11 as does Lufthansa cargo. Not that that means much of anything but interesting that other than KLM all are used just for cargo.

KLM flies passengers with it, which is why I made the distinction that they are the only major passenger airline still using it. UPS has a handful of them, as do some other freight carriers. It was a failed design, and has the worst safety record of any Western airliner. When they first came-out, American Airlines (and others) had to have a mechanic fly along on every flight because they broke down so often. While FedEx seems to have de-bugged them, there isn't anything you can do about a design that was bad from the get-go.

I'm guessing that they've slapped some restrictions on them to try and prevent more incidents. Would you want to be a jumpseat passenger on one landing in extreme wind and/or crosswind situations? Not me.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Sure ya did Doctor Fedex lol

I notice you still have not answered my question about why you call yourself a "driver" when you don't drive. Most foot couriers I know had a propensity for running into things...that's why they're only trusted to push a handtruck. Hey, I think I hear your Mom calling. She says she's ready to drive you to work.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
How is KLM's incident rate?

Probably fine. Statistically, commercial airliners are very safe, so it wouldn't be surprising to have a small MD11 fleet be accident-free. It's also possible that KLM has put limits on the weather conditions in which they allow the plane to land. Google it, do a little research, and then see if what I've said about the MD11 rings true or not. I'm guessing that if FedEx had an MD11 flight to Narita Airport today with the exact same weather conditions as the day of the incident that the flight would be diverted to an alternate airport. They know the plane has issues, and hopefully they've put restrictions on it.