The MD11

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Funny thing is that at UPS, that division is called UPS Airline. Seems we still don't get the special FedEx classification though. I wonder why that is, oh yea thats right we haven't lined enough pockets with enough money.

Dr Fedex got spanked pretty hard in this thread.I hope everyone sees how he continuously contradicts himself with his utter nonsense.Sounds like a hoarder to me.
And i am getting sick of all this talk about how many college degrees he has.All those degrees and you still deliver packages for a living just like us so stop trying to talk down to us.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Dr Fedex got spanked pretty hard in this thread.I hope everyone sees how he continuously contradicts himself with his utter nonsense.Sounds like a hoarder to me.
And i am getting sick of all this talk about how many college degrees he has.All those degrees and you still deliver packages for a living just like us so stop trying to talk down to us.

I did? Now I'm a hoarder too? Get some help.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Funny thing is that at UPS, that division is called UPS Airline. Seems we still don't get the special FedEx classification though. I wonder why that is, oh yea thats right we haven't lined enough pockets with enough money.

Exactly. Finally, someone who gets it!

Cactus

Just telling it like it is

And the CEO of UPS isn't the Superweasel that Fred is.

LTFedExer

Exactly. Finally, someone who gets it!
If UPS had kept their air freight separate from their Ground (like FedEx does), the air division would have surely gotten the same classification. Because they chose to incorporate the 2, they didn't.

The IBT fought just as hard to get UPS to stay under the NLRA as Fred fights to stay under the RLA.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
If UPS had kept their air freight separate from their Ground (like FedEx does), the air division would have surely gotten the same classification. Because they chose to incorporate the 2, they didn't.

The IBT fought just as hard to get UPS to stay under the NLRA as Fred fights to stay under the RLA.

But Ground and Express are interdependent at FedEx. Perhaps the separation is greater than over at UPS, but there are a lot of Ground pkgs moving on Express aircraft, and a lot of Express pkgs. moving on Ground trucks. Ricochet1a had posted a while back that FedEx was experimenting with Ground drivers delivering Express PO, but I haven't heard anything more about it. Express stations accept Ground freight over the counter every day.

LTFedExer

But Ground and Express are interdependent at FedEx. Perhaps the separation is greater than over at UPS, but there are a lot of Ground pkgs moving on Express aircraft, and a lot of Express pkgs. moving on Ground trucks. Ricochet1a had posted a while back that FedEx was experimenting with Ground drivers delivering Express PO, but I haven't heard anything more about it. Express stations accept Ground freight over the counter every day.
I'm not sure if any of the above is true. But, regardless of the actuality, the appearance is that FedEx keeps the 2 divisions separate. The is NO DOUBT UPS has integrated the 2 into 1 division.
I'm not so sure the Ground drivers can deliver the Air packages since the 2 (around here, at least) are 2 totally separate building about 2 miles apart.
Ground packages are accepted at our station for convenience, not necessity. They are given to CSA's, not couriers. They are then placed in a separate pile for the Ground driver to pick them up. Express drivers do not even look at the packages, let alone handle them in any way.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I'm not sure if any of the above is true. But, regardless of the actuality, the appearance is that FedEx keeps the 2 divisions separate. The is NO DOUBT UPS has integrated the 2 into 1 division.
I'm not so sure the Ground drivers can deliver the Air packages since the 2 (around here, at least) are 2 totally separate building about 2 miles apart.
Ground packages are accepted at our station for convenience, not necessity. They are given to CSA's, not couriers. They are then placed in a separate pile for the Ground driver to pick them up. Express drivers do not even look at the packages, let alone handle them in any way.

Express aircraft move Ground freight every day. Alaska is just 1 example, and there are many more. Ground semis frequently move Express freight, and I see them fairly frequently at our ramp. I've seen the freight...it's Express, not Ground. I'll agree with you that UPS has a more integrated operation, but the differences aren't as large as you might think.

LTFedExer

Express aircraft move Ground freight every day. Alaska is just 1 example, and there are many more. Ground semis frequently move Express freight, and I see them fairly frequently at our ramp. I've seen the freight...it's Express, not Ground. I'll agree with you that UPS has a more integrated operation, but the differences aren't as large as you might think.
As I said.....I don't know if what you wrote was true. You expect me/us to accept it as fact because you say so. That's not going to happen.

bbsam

Staff member
I have had Overnight packages delivered to my business by Fedex Ground drivers fairly often
Just because it gets there overnight doesn't mean it's Express. Our lanes are pretty quick. From the western edge of Illinois, we can hit the better part of 4 states overnight.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
As I said.....I don't know if what you wrote was true. You expect me/us to accept it as fact because you say so. That's not going to happen.

Question it all you'd like. My examples are fact. If you have access to FDR's or TDR's, you'll be able to pull-up the flights and truck routes yourself. I'm guessing you don't have a clue what I'm talking about, which isn't surprising at all.

quadro

Question it all you'd like. My examples are fact. If you have access to FDR's or TDR's, you'll be able to pull-up the flights and truck routes yourself. I'm guessing you don't have a clue what I'm talking about, which isn't surprising at all.
I can confirm that Ground packages do move on Express aircraft. Anyone that has read a lot of posts around here would know that MrFedEx and I don't agree on much so for me to agree with at least part of what he's saying should tell you that it does happen.

Having said that, you have to consider why it happens. Ground obviously cannot drive to Hawaii, for example. They have to send their packages on an aircraft. If they are going to do it anyway, why not put it on the Express aircraft? Same with Express. Not all packages go on an aircraft so it is possible (I cannot confirm or deny this part) that they move on Ground trucks. Certainly not delivered by Ground but on their tractor-trailers. FedEx does use contract transportation so if you are going to pay for it anyway, why not use Ground? I do know that there's at least an accounting charge for doing this. The packages are not just put on the other carriers equipment free of charge just as there would be a charge if the packages moved with a third party.

The validity of all that can be argued from both sides but as I said, if you are going to do it anyway why would you pay a third party when one of your sister operating companies can do it? It's also a relatively small percentage of packages that do this.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Ground no longer services Peurto Rico. Wonder if Hawaii is next.

Maybe the cat's out of the bag about the degree to which Ground and Express are interdependent.This wouldn't look good for the upcoming RLA discussions, would it? If Alaska and Hawaii Ground go away too, one has to wonder why they're doing it. I would bet that Ground to Puerto Rico is profitable, so what's the motivation to end the service?

bbsam

Staff member
I think it has to do with why offer Ground rates to something that obviously has to go air. Seems silly.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I think it has to do with why offer Ground rates to something that obviously has to go air. Seems silly.

Could be, but wouldn't the competition have the same issue? Ground rates should necessarily be higher to destinations like PR and Hawaii. Express has always charged a premium.