The MD11

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Sorry Upstate, that was directed at MFE. But, I like your answer.

Because I don't have 3 college degrees :rolleyes:. Nor do I know the guy that helped design the MD11:rolleyes:

Whatever. Pile it on. I'm not going to keep playing the degree game, so you and FedEx Handcart Driver can play with yourselves. Besides, dealing with a couple of **** doesn't require any extra education, just some common sense. On the other issue, consider what company would be a logical fit for an engineer who helped design an aircraft that is a major component of their fleet. I know you don't have a surplus of brain cells (rolling eyes) so it might take you awhile. If you can answer the Jeopardy question you get an extra scoop of sugar in your Kool-Aid.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I notice you talk very differently in your PMs.Perhaps this is all just for show?

You might find some interesting reading here. http://www.airlinesafety.com/faq/faq9.htm. Please pay particular attention to the Anchorage incident and the accident in China, among the other problems this plane has had. Did you know about the 3rd FedEx MD11 that was lost in the Phillipines? My last PM to you was an offer to send the moderators proof of the degrees with which you are obsessed. You are welcome to post it if you'd like. Maybe if you don't run your handtruck into anything they'll let you drive a truck. Or maybe not. Keep being a jerk, and I'll keep exposing your lack of intelligence. Make a good decison.

LTFedExer

Whatever. Pile it on. I'm not going to keep playing the degree game, so you and FedEx Handcart Driver can play with yourselves. Besides, dealing with a couple of **** doesn't require any extra education, just some common sense. On the other issue, consider what company would be a logical fit for an engineer who helped design an aircraft that is a major component of their fleet. I know you don't have a surplus of brain cells (rolling eyes) so it might take you awhile. If you can answer the Jeopardy question you get an extra scoop of sugar in your Kool-Aid.
I don't care how many degrees you have. Nor does it matter to me who you know. You asked why I am a courier. I merely hinted that if I had your degrees and connections and hated the company I work for, I wouldn't be a here. Since I don't have the connections or degrees and DO like the company I work for, I'm still here.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I don't care how many degrees you have. Nor does it matter to me who you know. You asked why I am a courier. I merely hinted that if I had your degrees and connections and hated the company I work for, I wouldn't be a here. Since I don't have the connections or degrees and DO like the company I work for, I'm still here.

Again...whatever. I'm glad you're so concerned about me. I typoed the link for the MD11 which should be www.airlinesafety.com/faq/faq9.htm, so for those who'd like to educate themselves about what a great airplane the MD11 is, please do so.

I'm only at FedEx for the benefits, which aren't very good, but better than nothing. I make most of my money elsewhere. My "connections" are mostly people I've met at FedEx or through FedEx, like the MD11 engineer you've been trying to beat over my head. Whatever I say, you or one of the others will attempt to twist it, just like the degrees. I'm not the one making the big deal about it. My education has allowed me to pursue opportunities outside of FedEx.

drewed

Shankman
So not to drop in this convos but... YouTube video of a md11 and compare to a 767 or 777, look at the difference in descent angle and speed at touchdown... reasons alone why id be hesitant to ride in a md

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
So not to drop in this convos but... YouTube video of a md11 and compare to a 767 or 777, look at the difference in descent angle and speed at touchdown... reasons alone why id be hesitant to ride in a md

It's interesting that most of the serious crashes of the MD11 show it lying upside down because it's just flipped-over as in the Tokyo accident. Your point is a good one, and I don't really know how much difference there is between descent angle and landing speed bewteen a 767 or 777 and an MD11. As far as I know, all airplanes follow the same glideslope while landing, but speeds and attitude vary greatly between different types of planes.I do know that in a high crosswind situation that all jets carry extra speed because it might be necessary to do a go-around and either try again or head to an alternate airport. There are several really good videos of crosswind landings on YouTube, including a FedEx MD11 at Narita and of a UPS DC-8. A really terrifying one shows an Airbus actually striking it's wing on the runway at Hamburg. Amazingly, the pilots were able to do a go-around.

The MD11 people I know really fear this airplane, but only in certain weather conditions. When they designed it, the horizontal stabilizer was reduced in size from it's dimensions on the DC10, an airplane that didn't have an issue with crosswinds or flipping on it's back. Add-in the stretched fuselage of the MD11, and an already marginally stable aircraft becomes a killer. I jumpseated in them a few times, but that was when they were first introduced and this problem hadn't been discovered. If I was asked to ride in one today, I'd head back to the ticket counter and find another airline.

drewed

Shankman
Maybe angle I'd descent is the wrong wording, the pitch the aircraft has coming in think nose way up tail way down, whereas a 747, 777,767 just comes in flat comparatively

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Maybe angle I'd descent is the wrong wording, the pitch the aircraft has coming in think nose way up tail way down, whereas a 747, 777,767 just comes in flat comparatively

Understood. According to some pilots who fly the MD11, it's incredibly tricky to land because the control system is a nightmare. One pilot said it's the only transport category aircraft he's ever flown that has such an inherent lack of stability. The controls are set-up so they react like those in a fighter jet, so over-correcting is a big possibility. In incident after incident "overcontrol" is cited as a major contributing factor to crashes. The MD11 is also very tail heavy, with an aft CG. A stretched fuselage, a big engine in the tail, and a compromised empennage don't help. This probably helps explain the "nose-up" atitude you describe. Another reason for this is the lack of surface area on the horizontal stabilizer. I actually spent an hour today researching the "safety" of the MD11 more thoroughly. This plane has had a multitude of issues, many of which have been corrected. The main problem, however, is incurable in the sense that it would not be economically feasible to replace the horizontal stabilizer. You might find it interesting to know that most of the UPS MD11's came from Swissair, and are converted passenger planes. 229 people died when Swissair Flight 111 (an MD11) crashed into the Atlantic Ocean in 1996. The cause? Most likely, faulty wiring (another frequent MD11 issue) and the propensity for a supposedly fire retardant Mylar "blanket" to burn. It's sad, but UPS probably bought them for the same reason FedEx did....just to save money because they were the Yugos of the sky. This airplane is a lemon. Unfortunately, it tends to kill people.

Last edited:
Understood. According to some pilots who fly the MD11, it's incredibly tricky to land because the control system is a nightmare. One pilot said it's the only transport category aircraft he's ever flown that has such an inherent lack of stability. The controls are set-up so they react like those in a fighter jet, so over-correcting is a big possibility. In incident after incident "overcontrol" is cited as a major contributing factor to crashes. The MD11 is also very tail heavy, with an aft CG. A stretched fuselage, a big engine in the tail, and a compromised empennage don't help. This probably helps explain the "nose-up" atitude you describe. Another reason for this is the lack of surface area on the horizontal stabilizer. I actually spent an hour today researching the "safety" of the MD11 more thoroughly. This plane has had a multitude of issues, many of which have been corrected. The main problem, however, is incurable in the sense that it would not be economically feasible to replace the horizontal stabilizer. You might find it interesting to know that most of the UPS MD11's came from Swissair, and are converted passenger planes. 229 people died when Swissair Flight 111 (an MD11) crashed into the Atlantic Ocean in 1996. The cause? Most likely, faulty wiring (another frequent MD11 issue) and the propensity for a supposedly fire retardant Mylar "blanket" to burn. It's sad, but UPS probably bought them for the same reason FedEx did....just to save money because they were the Yugos of the sky. This airplane is a lemon. Unfortunately, it tends to kill people.
So its okay for UPS to buy the planes but its not for Fedex.This guy is such a ******* ****!!

FedExer267

Thats not what he is saying. Unfortunatley corporate America dosent give a crap about you and me. Its about saving a buck afterall they are not the ones flying these things. We are the little people to these big companies which is why it takes you 20 years to top out and I do the same job for no benefits of any kind we are all just trying to stay afloat. Our lives are not worth their packages and if you read the post carefully you will see he pointed out the reason why they were bought buy both to save a buck and screw the little guy. Its a unfortunate situation when your company dosen't give a crap about your well being they wont be the ones looking your loved ones in the eye and say your not coming home. Unless their filming castaway 2..

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
So its okay for UPS to buy the planes but its not for Fedex.This guy is such a ******* ****!!

Did I say that? No. What I did say is that FedEx continued to buy these planes even after the safety issues were well-known. UPS is guilty of the same offense because they also bought MD11's well after the problems with the plane were apparent. Get your story staight. UPS has a handful of them. FedEx is the world's largest operator of the type.

bbsam

Staff member
Did I say that? No. What I did say is that FedEx continued to buy these planes even after the safety issues were well-known. UPS is guilty of the same offense because they also bought MD11's well after the problems with the plane were apparent. Get your story staight. UPS has a handful of them. FedEx is the world's largest operator of the type.
The largest operator of this type of aircraft is not an airline? Now you are talking in circles.:wink2:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The largest operator of this type of aircraft is not an airline? Now you are talking in circles.:wink2:

Right. FedEx flies planes so therefore they are irrefutably an airline and not a delivery company. I'm talking in squares. not circles.:wink2:

bbsam

Staff member
Right. FedEx flies planes so therefore they are irrefutably an airline and not a delivery company. I'm talking in squares. not circles.:wink2:
So they are not a delivery company, but an airline but should be covered under the NLRB rather than the RLA even though they are not a delivery company like UPS but an airline. Oh. I see. Now you're talking yourself into the insane asylum

FedExer267

So they are not a delivery company, but an airline but should be covered under the NLRB rather than the RLA even though they are not a delivery company like UPS but an airline. Oh. I see. Now you're talking yourself into the insane asylum
Hell ya I had to hurry out of a court today so the expess guy could make a landing funny our trucks look exactly alike but theirs fly. That would make covering my 5 zipcodes alot easier..:funny:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

In my mind, they are both, but the truck delivery side is far bigger than the line haul airline side. In other words, the airline is a support mechanism for the predominant delivery operation, and not the other way around. We belong under the NLRB.