The morning ballet of the brown sardines

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
why do you care if you get charged? I have 21 years safe driving and don't care if they charge me with a bogus charge. One of the drivers was scared because he got oil on a driveway and management said they may charge him. So be it.

I do my job. Charge me, I'll write a letter of rebuttal and you can keep your wallet (or other gift).

Or as the case is now, lack thereof.

leastbest

LeastBest
Or as the case is now, lack thereof.

Good point.

The basis of my argument is thus:

If they come to you with a chickenshirt charge then treat it as such. Accept the fact that they want to charge you with minutiae; accept it and do your job. If you ever have to face a hearing show your rebuttal and that it really was chickenshirt.

Big Babooba

Any minor scratches etc in our building when moving vehicles are ignored and touched by the automotive guys
I had a bumper pulled out by the rear bumper of another truck.
The mechanic and I went out to "The Bumper Pole" to bend it back in. It really pissed me off because it was only 2 days old. It was the 3rd bumper on the truck since I had it. They have since been reinforced to make it harder to pull off the bumpers.

SmithBarney

We had this issue too, although we had enough space..
Management had been instructed to get the trucks as close as possible
to minimize the steps a preloader had to take.
Until of course the day that my truck was loaded with cases of paper(on one side)
and the truck next to me was loaded heavy on the side facing my truck..

They were 4 inches apart at the bottom rail, and they were touching the top rail.

Big Babooba

We had this issue too, although we had enough space..
Management had been instructed to get the trucks as close as possible
to minimize the steps a preloader had to take.
Until of course the day that my truck was loaded with cases of paper(on one side)
and the truck next to me was loaded heavy on the side facing my truck..

They were 4 inches apart at the bottom rail, and they were touching the top rail.
Years ago when we had the old 400s, I remember two of them being locked together. Neither could be moved. They had to partially unload them to get them apart.:rofl:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is not an issue in our building, except during Peak; however, my pet peeve is those drivers who can't seem to recall what lane number they were parked in that morning and decide to park in either the first one they see or the one that would be easiest to park in and figure that the car washers will move it for them.

Big Babooba

This is not an issue in our building, except during Peak; however, my pet peeve is those drivers who can't seem to recall what lane number they were parked in that morning and decide to park in either the first one they see or the one that would be easiest to park in and figure that the car washers will move it for them.
We have that problem here too. Trouble is that the car washers will tighten a lineup to a pole. The car on the end, say slot 49 for example ends up in slot 48 1/2. The driver comes back and parks exactly where he got the car from and screws it up for everybody else. I came in yesterday and found a Mack sitting in my spot. I had to move it myself. Some part time supervisor asked me if I was qualified. I told him that I was driving them before he was even born. He shrugged his shoulders and walked away. That Mack was a far cry from the MH and friend models I used to drive. I was in shock that the engine shut off when I turned the key off. I didn't have to pull a knob to kill the engine! Mack has entered the 21st Century!

tieguy

Banned
Just a thought for any of the management folks here. How come if driver scratches a truck in the building (parking situation) it’s an accident, paper work, safety tests, conference calls etc. If a management person scratches the truck (pulling the truck out for an hourly), the truck gets a touch up at best and no further action is taken. I’m beginning to think it just depends on who you are! :peaceful:

Part of the problem would be that you won't be privy to whatever discipline is taken against management.

The logic behind calling minor scratchs accidents is this. If you can't control the car well enough to keep from rubbing against a pole then what keeps you from rubbing up against a live human being?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I agree. The problem being that for a company that has experienced consistent growth throughout their history, they fail to learn that some growing room built into a new building will pay dividends exponentially in the future.

Our building is right around twenty years old. UPS had the forethought to buy two lots when the building was built, and to design the building with future expansion in mind, expansion to the East end of the building.

If you haven't already guessed, the vacant lot is to the West end of the building.:surprised:

Big Babooba

Our building is right around twenty years old. UPS had the forethought to buy two lots when the building was built, and to design the building with future expansion in mind, expansion to the East end of the building.

If you haven't already guessed, the vacant lot is to the West end of the building.:surprised:
If you keep going east, you'll eventually get to the west end.

Simple solution...Have the parking position number written on the engine cover.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Simple solution...Have the parking position number written on the engine cover.

The parking spot number is also our lane number so the driver sees that number all day long on the PAL labels. We only have 34 lane numbers. It's really not all that difficult to ask that you park in the same lane from which you left in the morning.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Part of the problem would be that you won't be privy to whatever discipline is taken against management.

The logic behind calling minor scratchs accidents is this. If you can't control the car well enough to keep from rubbing against a pole then what keeps you from rubbing up against a live human being?

Because in my 22 years of driving I have never been in or heard of a situation where my package car had thousands of pounds of immovable human beings deliberately lined up 3/4 of an inch away down each side.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Your right.
Your ancient culture is cloaked in secrecy and mystery.
I've heard terms such as "I got my head caved in". The marvels of modern medicine can apparently reverse the effects of such a penalty. Luckily we have good medical benefits.
The supervisor in our building that drove through a closed garage door didn't miss a day. Maybe that was his punishment.

upsdude

I understand what you're saying.

If my boss observes me parking 2 inches from another car while on road, he'll blow a gasket. He should. Yet I'm expected to begin my work day parked 2 inches from another vehicle.

I think sober is asking the company to use a little common sense that's all. I'll bet most centers would ignore a very minor in the building situation IMHO.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!

if a human was that close to the car i wouldn't move it.... also i will wait till all cars around me have moved till i clear the pole! me not hitting the pole is more important than my c/m in building am time...God I don't miss the B.S from pkg.more of a chane of accident on UPS property than on a rte for 10 hrs

Catatonic

Nine Lives

The logic behind calling minor scratchs accidents is if you can't control the car well enough to keep from rubbing against a pole then what keeps you from rubbing up against a live human being?

That may be logic but not particularly good logic. :wink2: