The Plan is Still a Go

IsItME

The interesting thing about all this is that the number of people that would want a buyout has to be huge? Everyone can see the writing on the wall. The 1.7B was a low ball estimate and that internally FedEx expects much more. I feel bad for the people that stay after this opportunity to get out. All manager and below positions with 5+ years are eligible. At this point, who the hell wouldn't take it? Don't rule out well over 10k buyouts. Express, Connect and Services/Offices are spending entirely too much on long term employees for a collapsed company like this.

vantexan

The interesting thing about all this is that the number of people that would want a buyout has to be huge? Everyone can see the writing on the wall. The 1.7B was a low ball estimate and that internally FedEx expects much more. I feel bad for the people that stay after this opportunity to get out. All manager and below positions with 5+ years are eligible. At this point, who the hell wouldn't take it? Don't rule out well over 10k buyouts. Express, Connect and Services/Offices are spending entirely too much on long term employees for a collapsed company like this.

Unfortunately being eligible doesn't mean you automatically get it if you want it. Some workgroups will have many go, others won't have any, based on operational needs. I doubt they'd want to give a buyout to a 58 yr old courier who most likely will retire soon anyways. I wonder if they are giving any consideration to those with health problems that may end up costing them alot?

hypo hanna

. All manager and below positions with 5+ years are eligible. At this point, who the hell wouldn't take it?.

Nope. They will limit it to "operational needs". For example, the dispatch office I worked in had about 25 dispatchers. The least senior employee at the time had 17 years. Now lets be generous and say they will let 20% go. The top 5 take it and everyone with 28 years or less is stuck. Stuck and really really tic'd off!

IsItME

I agree but they are going to get out as many as possible. Anyone with that kind of tenure must be removed. They will buyout and replace cheap in some instances or they will come back in 6 months later in some instances. There are many companies that have an "open buyout", meaning you can apply for a buyout at anytime and that would make sense in a company like this that needs all tenure gone. The only way to get the get more money to the shareholders is by wiping out high paid, long term employees. In every plan, all long term employees will be gone in 2 years. They are dedicated to this mission.
Nope. They will limit it to "operational needs". For example, the dispatch office I worked in had about 25 dispatchers. The least senior employee at the time had 17 years. Now lets be generous and say they will let 20% go. The top 5 take it and everyone with 28 years or less is stuck. Stuck and really really tic'd off!

vantexan

In every plan, all long term employees will be gone in 2 years. They are dedicated to this mission.

How do you know this? And they've been stringing along mid-range employees for many years. As the topped out employees retire there will be this long string of underpaid employees. Granted we're top heavy with topped out employees, but more and more leave every year. Most of the rest of us have no hope of catching top-out before we throw our hands up in disgust and quit. If they continue to raise top-out or starting pay the midway point where we go from 3% to 5% raises will go up too, taking us that much longer to catch it. It's been 14 yrs since I was rehired, in low $18hr range now, and doubtful I'll cross $20 hr before I quit. The only thing I've got going for me is I managed to get a small traditional pension out of them. Should have been more, but glad to have it. If I were in my 20's and realizing I'll have to work until 70 and hope I die soon after I think I'd look for another kind of work.