The Runner Gunner Lunch Skippers are HATING the new DOT lunch rule

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
I'm not trying to talk you out of it. Go with it. And when UPS or DOT interpret it different from you then remember it's on you. Put your brown pants on and live by your decision.

yeah, dot will be setting up secret stings,, holy crap man.......ive seen your type, come and go,, keep thinking ups owes you something..

U

uber

This discussion is hilarious.

The federal DOT rules are meant for working on road. Sorting through your truck on break is not going to get you a fine and UPS certainly doesn't give a ****. Its funny to me that some people spend so much time worrying about whether another driver is sorting their truck on break.

I guess not everyone was raised to mind their own business.

yeah, dot will be setting up secret stings,, holy crap man.......ive seen your type, come and go,, keep thinking ups owes you something..

Owes me something? You've made those assumptions based on what I've posted in this thread? Please enlighten me so you appear to be something other than a troll.

This discussion is hilarious.

The federal DOT rules are meant for working on road. Sorting through your truck on break is not going to get you a fine and UPS certainly doesn't give a ****. Its funny to me that some people spend so much time worrying about whether another driver is sorting their truck on break.

I guess not everyone was raised to mind their own business.

Then sort away.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

You're getting your panties in a bundle because you think we're trying to make you stop. We're just tossing out advice. YOU will make the choice and YOU will suffer the consequences.

We know the mindset of mgmt because from experience we've seen the actions they've on other things when the crap hits the fan and those didn't have a federal law behind it.

CACH, forgive me for lumping you in with some others if you are just giving advice. I respect that, I want that, as I learn from you guys or am made to think more than I may show sometimes.

However, those who are ready to call down the DOT and mgmt on some guy who is sorting, or who skips their lunch but is off the clock in less than 8 hrs-whether or not they are in a bonus center-need to think about their motives. You aren't going to help anyone get a job, or even have management get off your back. It is often not a secret who the gunners are, and it should not be difficult to swoosh away any comparison they may try to push involving you vs a gunner. As for a desperate person, again more often than not these people need help understanding how things work, so that they can understand they don't have to be so desperate. I wouldn't be surprised if there are more desperate drivers than there are gunners, and a simple education on how to run their routes will have them doing what they are supposed to. However, those who skip lunch and stay out way late, or even 9.5, are doing themselves a disservice, and may even be more or less "coerced" into doing so. That's who the DOT is looking for if they do observe anyone, and it will be fairly discernible in a simple conversation what is going on.

hellfire

Owes me something? You've made those assumptions based on what I've posted in this thread? Please enlighten me so you appear to be something other than a troll.
this thread and many in the past,, keep whining nancy,, the system cares

hellfire

hey im catchSUCKS,, boo hoo hoo im being wronged by ups boo hoo i will show them, i will suck at my job, and blame people who are good at it because i suck.. boo hoo i matter... really i do

CACH, forgive me for lumping you in with some others if you are just giving advice. I respect that, I want that, as I learn from you guys or am made to think more than I may show sometimes.

However, those who are ready to call down the DOT and mgmt on some guy who is sorting, or who skips their lunch but is off the clock in less than 8 hrs-whether or not they are in a bonus center-need to think about their motives. You aren't going to help anyone get a job, or even have management get off your back. It is often not a secret who the gunners are, and it should not be difficult to swoosh away any comparison they may try to push involving you vs a gunner. As for a desperate person, again more often than not these people need help understanding how things work, so that they can understand they don't have to be so desperate. I wouldn't be surprised if there are more desperate drivers than there are gunners, and a simple education on how to run their routes will have them doing what they are supposed to. However, those who skip lunch and stay out way late, or even 9.5, are doing themselves a disservice, and may even be more or less "coerced" into doing so. That's who the DOT is looking for if they do observe anyone, and it will be fairly discernible in a simple conversation what is going on.

One of the mistakes folks are doing is relating their day at UPS into the interpretation of this new law. It covers all driving. That's way your not going to see "sorting" etc in the guidelines. They will look at it one of two ways. Working and not working. They will interpret it the way they see fit and that will be it.

Think of it as being pulled over by a cop. You might have a reason you were doing something and you might interpret it your way. He is the one holding the ticket book and its HIS interpretation that will count. The only way to be absolutely sure of the interpretation is to not do anything other than take a break and relax.

That's just my advice. Do as you see fit.