The Rut

over9five

Staff member
It is that magical time of year again. Yes, it's the Rut, the time when deer are a lot less cautious (more horny) than they usually are. Insurance companies report that November is the largest month for deer strikes.

DRIVE CAREFULLY!!!!

This tractor bagged a ten pointer last week.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Did the driver gut it, tie it to the hood, and bring it in?:happy2:

Deer strikes are bad though. I know several people that totaled their cars out hitting them. Near my house about ten years ago, one went through a car windshield and killed the woman driver and her daughter.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
My step dad owned a body shop years ago. I saw many a car come in totalled by deer and elk collisions. Some were really bad. Had school bus hit an elk. Went up over the hood and into the windshield. The only thing that kept the elk from coming into the drivers lap was the center windshield support. Yes, there were kids on the bus at the time.

outta hours

Our feeder supervisor made it a point last week to tell all of us that NO ONE is to swerve or stop to avoid hitting a deer. Plow on through and then check for any damage. Still hard to do I am always tempted to get on the brake. It's a natural reaction I guess.

No deer yet for me this fall. I did hit a feral hog one night last week. Didn't do any damage, but made quite a mess on the road.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Our feeder supervisor made it a point last week to tell all of us that NO ONE is to swerve or stop to avoid hitting a deer. Plow on through and then check for any damage. Still hard to do I am always tempted to get on the brake. It's a natural reaction I guess.

No deer yet for me this fall. I did hit a feral hog one night last week. Didn't do any damage, but made quite a mess on the road.

Hogs in Texas?
Must of been over towards Arkansas.
ark hog.jpg

Last edited:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Outta, I am surprised that they would think to say that. It's a hard thing to do but if you consider the option it makes it easier. The last thing I would want is to end up off the road somewhere after losing control of the truck.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Did the driver gut it, tie it to the hood, and bring it in?:happy2:

Deer strikes are bad though. I know several people that totaled their car out hitting them. Near my house about ten years ago, one went through a car windshield and killed the woman driver and her daughter.

Remember that...she was a nurse at my doctor's office.

They forgot to mention its still an avoidable accident.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Soberups may want to try this tactic instead of heading up to NE Oregon. Hey, at least there's a heater in that rig!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
They forgot to mention its still an avoidable accident.
In my area, hitting an animal on a public road is automatically deemed to be unavoidable.

If UPS wants to call hitting a deer "avoidable" I guess it is their right to do so, since they are not contractually obligated to hand out safe driving awards. If that "avoidable" accident wound up leading to disciplinary action, it would not be upheld at panel.

It sucks to hit an animal, and you should avoid it whenever possible, but your first responsibility as a motorist must always be to maintain control of your vehicle and to stay in your own lane.

rushfan

In my area, we don't get charged for hitting wildlife..it's deemed unavoidable, but the dept. gets charged for the accident.

I've nailed a few jack rabbits with my bulldog. It is always a nice surprise while breaking down my set to find the remains of some unknown animal in the chains of the dolly.

You should see what a black Angus does to an international tractor.

I've caught dove in the windshield three times in packages cars(it leaves a grey powder as well as breakage). I just write it up on the DVIR and tell a sup. No problem.
Well I did have a road kill on a poodle once, the poor little guy thought he was gonna catch him a P600.

raceanoncr

In my area, hitting an animal on a public road is automatically deemed to be unavoidable.

If UPS wants to call hitting a deer "avoidable" I guess it is their right to do so, since they are not contractually obligated to hand out safe driving awards. If that "avoidable" accident wound up leading to disciplinary action, it would not be upheld at panel.

It sucks to hit an animal, and you should avoid it whenever possible, but your first responsibility as a motorist must always be to maintain control of your vehicle and to stay in your own lane.

Just a note on "avoidable". Just this last week a fdr driver was charged with "avoidable" for hitting Bambi going 63 in a 60 zone. They said if he was going 60...no charge.

Just watch it! The deer AND your speed!

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver

Our Feeder depts. says the same thing.

America needs to face facts. In certain areas, like NJ, there are way too many deer. They are pests and need to be almost completely eliminated. I know it's not their fault but if anyone believes for a second that development and habitat destruction is not going to stop, they are fooling themselves. Unfortunately Hollywood, with heart warming but ridiculous movies like Bambi, and groups like PETA have given animals anthropomorphic qualities that tug at our heart strings. But what emotionally effects me more are grieving families and maimed people.

Plus, if we get rid of them, as a bonus, maybe we can reduce Lime disease. I used to go in the woods all the time as a kid. Now I am almost afraid to.

At the minimum we should confine them as much as possible to secluded wildlife preserves.

Oh, and lets get rid of the Canadian geese while were at it!