The Rut

P

pickup

It is that magical time of year again. Yes, it's the Rut, the time when deer are a lot less cautious (more horny) than they usually are. Insurance companies report that November is the largest month for deer strikes.

DRIVE CAREFULLY!!!!

This tractor bagged a ten pointer last week.

Oh,dear.....

abc123

Last year, I was driving to work and I saw some deer in the median. I slowed down, expecting them to try to cross but the car in front of me must not have seen them. They plowed right into one. It went flipping into the air to the side of the road. It was very shocking to see. I'm glad it wasn't me, though. And it made for an interesting story to tell my coworkers once I got to work.

Edit: Question for anyone out there... Would you have stopped to make sure the driver was okay or in need of assistance? I thought about it, but it didn't look like the car took very much damage, they pulled over to the side of the road. Also, I was on my way to work at UPS and didn't want to get in trouble for being late.

tarbar66

We went for a ride yesterday to see the elk in Elk County, Pa. My wife took these pictures in the village of Benezett.

This is a big bull. You would not want to hit this guy.

phpogLz0oPM.jpg

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Last year, I was driving to work and I saw some deer in the median. I slowed down, expecting them to try to cross but the car in front of me must not have seen them. They plowed right into one. It went flipping into the air to the side of the road. It was very shocking to see. I'm glad it wasn't me, though. And it made for an interesting story to tell my coworkers once I got to work.

Edit: Question for anyone out there... Would you have stopped to make sure the driver was okay or in need of assistance? I thought about it, but it didn't look like the car took very much damage, they pulled over to the side of the road. Also, I was on my way to work at UPS and didn't want to get in trouble for being late.

Its not just the driver I would stop to check on, there is also the matter of the deer that might still be alive.

On two occasions in the past few years I have come across car/deer collisions where the deer survived the impact and was laying on or next to the road. On both occasions I wound up having to shoot them, not only to end their suffering but as a safety issue to prevent them from getting up and going back into the road and causing a potentially fatal accident with the next car that came along.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would have stopped to check on the people in the car. As for Bambi, there is nothing that I could have done had the deer survived the impact as I don't carry any weapons either on my person or in my vehicle.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I would have stopped to check on the people in the car. As for Bambi, there is nothing that I could have done had the deer survived the impact as I don't carry any weapons either on my person or in my vehicle.

If I see an injured deer while on the rural area of my route, all I have to do is go to the nearest house and let the owners know about it. Virtually everyone who lives in the country around here has a rifle, and euthanizing injured animals is a normal, albiet unpleasant, part of life.

Many years ago I came across a cat that had been hit by a car and somehow it was still alive. I was working, so I didnt have a gun with me and no one nearby was home. It was around 6:30 at night, and the local veterinarian was many miles away as well as being closed. I had no choice but to euthanize it with a rock. It was one of the most traumatic things I have ever experienced, I puked afterward and cried like a baby. I wound up bringing stops back that night and sheeting them as missed because I simply could not function. Had nightmares about it for days.

abc123

If I see an injured deer while on the rural area of my route, all I have to do is go to the nearest house and let the owners know about it. Virtually everyone who lives in the country around here has a rifle, and euthanizing injured animals is a normal, albiet unpleasant, part of life.

Many years ago I came across a cat that had been hit by a car and somehow it was still alive. I was working, so I didnt have a gun with me and no one nearby was home. It was around 6:30 at night, and the local veterinarian was many miles away as well as being closed. I had no choice but to euthanize it with a rock. It was one of the most traumatic things I have ever experienced, I puked afterward and cried like a baby. I wound up bringing stops back that night and sheeting them as missed because I simply could not function. Had nightmares about it for days.

A 7-Eleven by my house that I used to work at had TONS of stray cats living around it and of course there were stray kittens too. One night, I had just gotten off work and got in my car. I was driving an 89 Volvo 240 with a stick shift and I put it into reverse and started backing out. I then put it into 1st gear and tried to move forward. The car wouldn't move, and I got all mad thinking that my car was broken down. When I turned the engine off, I heard this moaning noise. I checked again to make sure the car was off and then it hit me. It was a cat.

I got out of the car to check and see where I hit it/what was going on. I couldn't find it and so I realize that it's coming from my engine. Popped the hood and looked in and sure enough there was a KITTEN tangled up in my engine. So here I am, a 19 year old girl, pretty much all by myself, with a kitten in my engine. I live in a really small town so I called the police department to come help me. They tried pulling the cat out but it was too violent and was stuck. So, they called one of their buddies from the fire department. He ended up moving my power steering belt so that the kitten could be freed and then they caught him. At this point the kitten had lost a limb, was bleeding very badly and was very unhappy. The police officer turned to me and said "well what do you want to do with it?" I thought about it for a minute and saw how unhappy the cat was (the moaning/screaming from the cat was still going on) and said "Can you put it out of its misery?" They said yes, and then I got in my car and drove away, because there was no way I was witnessing the police shoot an injured kitten in the head. That was one of the worst nights ever and I had nightmares about it for a few days, too.

over9five

Staff member
November 2002. I'm on my way home after a long day parcelin', but I'm pretty happy because I'm driving my brand new car that I just got yesterday. It's night, and I'm on a long dark road in the boonies just taking my time.
Someone comes up behind me and obviously wants to go faster than me. No problem, I pull over and let him pass. He goes out of sight around the next bend in the road. When I come around the bend, there is his car stopped in the middle of the road.
He hit a deer! Would have been me in my brand new car if I hadn't have let him pass me.

rushfan

I have murdered about 100 wabbits in the time I have been in the feeder dept. During my post trips, you should see the "rabbit jerky" on the dolly chains, and landing gear. One night it was so bad that there was blood in the wheel wells of the tractor.

I see it as providing a service to the hungry coyotes.

Last edited: