The Rut

moreluck

golden ticket member
Just a question for hunters. Once an animal is killed, how much time do you have to get to a butcher (refrigeration) before the meat is no good??
Just curious.

trickpony1

Just a question for hunters. Once an animal is killed, how much time do you have to get to a butcher (refrigeration) before the meat is no good??
Just curious.

That would depend on if you take time to have carnal activities with the corpse while pretending it is your sister. Playing banjos before or after said act can also consume alot of time.
Carrying the corpse that you wrapped around your neck for machismo effect out of the canyon can also burn valuable time.
Better yet, just eat the raw corpse while pretending to be your caveman forefathers.

But then I wouldn't know.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
More, it depends on how cold it is. When I was younger and went hunting with the family we would hang meat out over night or even 2 nights if it was cold enough. The important part is wrapping it to keep the flies off.

We usually had more than 1 tag to fill as all the family would go. Aunts, uncles, brothers, sisters, moms and dads. It was a big deal in our family and community. So much so that the school district gave up trying to keep the kids in school the first day of hunting. They finally declared it a fall holiday.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Just curious.

It all depend upon the temperature. The important thing is to get the animal gutted and skinned quickly. If you do that immediately, it will cool off quickly and if temps are in the 40's or 50's and you keep it covered and out of the sunlight you can let it hang for 3 or 4 days if needed. If its warmer than that you need to get it refrigerated ASAP.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
That would depend on if you take time to have carnal activities with the corpse while pretending it is your sister. Playing banjos before or after said act can also consume alot of time.
Carrying the corpse that you wrapped around your neck for machismo effect out of the canyon can also burn valuable time.
Better yet, just eat the raw corpse while pretending to be your caveman forefathers.

But then I wouldn't know.

For some people, it doesnt matter because the meat they buy just grows in a freezer case by magic. No cute fuzzy animals ever have to die for their meat; they can just self-righteously sit there and criticize barbarians like us for participating in the cycle of nature while they enjoy their store-bought steak and feed processed pet food to their cute little puppies and kittens.

outta hours

Here is the hog we cooked at our block party.

100_0921.jpg

rod

Retired 22 years
It just don't get any better than a pig roast. I did a 235 lb. one for my retirement party. (and 4 kegs of beer)

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I've seen deer strapped to the trunk of a car for the entire 9 day deer season while the driver/hunter hangs out in the taverns. That's the benefit of bagging one on opening day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I can recall when I was first stationed here (USAF) in 1982 and I was at McDonald's when a car came through the drive-thru with a deer strapped across it's roof with blood dripping down the windshield. It is a common sight to drive by a bar in one of our outlying towns that has a weigh station in front to see a deer that had been recently killed hanging there for all to see.

(BTW, I prefer to do my hunting with my camera.)

rod

Retired 22 years
Quarter kegs or half's?

What time did you start, how many well wishers??

4- 16 gal kegs , one 235 lb hog, tons of food (not counting the pig) probably 200+ people (who was counting?) and a BIG rented circus tent. I burned a VERY large pile of brown clothes in the bon-fire. I tried to give them back before I retired but the center manager said he had "too much of that crap laying around the way it was". We (my wife gets the credit for putting this all together) started at noon on Saturday and the last person left at about noon on Sunday. Lots of them camped out in my yard as it was an all-nighter. It took me 2 days to clean up the mess and return stuff. All the trash went to the dumpster at the UPS building (I heard the center manager wasn't too happy about that):peaceful: P.S. If I would of known you all at the time you would of been invited.

rod

Retired 22 years
Around where I live they could use an open- year around season on deer and Canadian geese. As far as that goes they could use a bald eagle season also (but that will never happen)

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
I hit a doe at 55 on a two lane road. At night. Never found the body of the deer. I did keep the left rear quarter of the deer, where the leg was wedged between the bumper and the hood. Bent the mess out of the front bumper on the short nosed Internatioal I was driving. Had to report it as a accident, as it was more than 500.00 dollars damage. Never charged with an accident. Mechcanic loved having to remove the leg.........