the single stupidest thing about UPS that i know of

satellitedriver

Our new feeder drivers go to a hub near here and go through 2 weeks of feeder training at the end of which they take their CDL test. Our center does not offer tuition assistance to pt hourly employees.

I got my CDL the old fashion way. I just went into the DMV and took the written test. When I passed that I came back with a big truck and took the driving test. But I was around big trucks at a young age... And had access to them at my own leisure. I never had any formal training. I just had older people that taught me the basics.
You made my point better than I ever could with my tool box metaphor.

ih8tbrn

Banned
I don't understand what the problem is here. When I got my CDL I went to the DMV and took the written test, then I drove with some dude sitting next to me scoring my driving abilities and then I got my CDL. I think it cost less than $20 and it only took a couple hours. Does this vary state to state? Or have the rules changed in the last 20 years?

drewed

Shankman
Our CDL cost a couple hundred dollars to take....i believe you have to go through a course to get it which would also be a couple hundred dollars on top....

Our govt bus drivers(city and school) require a cdl the company will pay for it but you need to sign like a 3 yr contract because they were having people get hired go through the course and quit go work for the oil companies make 3x as much

gandydancer

isnt that kind of like sayin "companies shouldnt pay health insurance benefits to there employees.....if the employees pay for it themselves they will have a good feeling in there heart"?

Companies -shouldn't- pay for health insurance. :censored2: idea started during WW2 to avoid wage controls, has all sorts of bad effects. That said, it's compounded dumbness for UPS to pay for a teaching credential but not a CDL course. But it seems from this thread that it's not true that UPS won't pay for CDL.

Kingpin13

Companies -shouldn\'t- pay for health insurance. :censored2: idea started during WW2 to avoid wage controls, has all sorts of bad effects. That said, it\'s compounded dumbness for UPS to pay for a teaching credential but not a CDL course. But it seems from this thread that it\'s not true that UPS won\'t pay for CDL.

i know for a fact that in my terminal they wont i talked to the supervisor about it, he use to be a driver, he said its the dumbest thing in the world

705red

Browncafe Steward
He is with freight and maybe its not addressed in his contract, but it appears to be covered for small package feeder.

DownsizedUPS'er

missing my UPS family
i see what you are saying here, BUT does UPS think these kids are going to school to be electricians doctors and teachers and wont be leaving UPS? all im saying is they will pay for kids colleges, where MOST of those kids will be leaving UPS after college, but wont help people get there CDL

the degree/course has to be in line with something that can be used in UPS. Business, Accounting, Sales etc. UPS will not pay for a teaching degree or a medical degree or any of the others you entioned. it has to be business related.

drewed

Shankman
the degree/course has to be in line with something that can be used in UPS. Business, Accounting, Sales etc. UPS will not pay for a teaching degree or a medical degree or any of the others you entioned. it has to be business related.
maybe back in the day not so much anymore, ive had employees work on philosophy, history, and other humanities degrees under the earn and learn program

DownsizedUPS'er

missing my UPS family
maybe back in the day not so much anymore, ive had employees work on philosophy, history, and other humanities degrees under the earn and learn program

i have only been seperated from ups for 4 years, (although it seems like a life time) so it was not that long ago. these employees may be taking a history or philosphy course, but only because it is a core class toward their degree. my major was business admin. this required me to take many class' including art appreciation, and public speaking. they were core courses. but it was still for a business degree.

DownsizedUPS'er

missing my UPS family
no they were pursuing degrees in those fields,i also had a elm education major

ok.

here is something else that is stupid. not the most stupid by far, but stupid non the less. ups insurance (perscriptions) will not pay for birth control for woman. however, once that woman is pregnant, ups insurance covers 100% of her care during pregnancy, then cover the child once born. now, the crazy part is that ups will not help the woman prevent the pregnancy, not that they cover her during the pregnancy.

drewed

Shankman
ok.

here is something else that is stupid. not the most stupid by far, but stupid non the less. ups insurance (perscriptions) will not pay for birth control for woman. however, once that woman is pregnant, ups insurance covers 100% of her care during pregnancy, then cover the child once born. now, the crazy part is that ups will not help the woman prevent the pregnancy, not that they cover her during the pregnancy.

again with the oldness, they do...if i were to get married theyd cover my wife

DownsizedUPS'er

missing my UPS family
again with the oldness, they do...if i were to get married theyd cover my wife

well, perhaps it is different for union employees. my position, unfortunately, was no union. i would have given anything to be union, by my last position was non operations. but, there is no reason to be mean in your posts. we can have a conversation with out snide remarks and still make our point.

drewed

Shankman
well, perhaps it is different for union employees. my position, unfortunately, was no union. i would have given anything to be union, by my last position was non operations. but, there is no reason to be mean in your posts. we can have a conversation with out snide remarks and still make our point.

thats nowhere near a snide remark from me

both the insurance i had when i was union and my sup insurance both covers it

feeder53

ADKtrails
When I first started as a helper, I was told to go and get my CDL so I could practice and I did, out of pocket as it would benefit me in the long run. Then they let me drive with a senior driver and when he felt that I was ready we went for a road test. I passed the road test and started driving the bigger trucks when my seniority let me. They told me that drivers coming in from the street had to have a good number of years driving exp. to even apply for the jobs so I was gratefull for the break.

UPS Lifer

Here in Chicago, ups will train you and certify you to get your license, all we have to do is pay the permit fee and take that test on our own.

Kingpin - you were getting bad info at least on the package side.

Having a CDL does not give you an inside track on getting a job in Feeder(s).

Seniority gets you the job. UPS trains you just like red states above.

feeder53

ADKtrails
I believe you`re correct UPSLifer, I came to UPS with a CDL, Doubles and Triples qualified and a Tandem Trailer certification from NYS and there are people on the dock that get first priority. I work only during the seasonal period.