The State of My Station, aka "No Money"

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I hope everyone realizes that your SOTS meeting was completely orchestrated by Memphis, right? The message was straight from the Ivory Tower of the Unknowing and Incapable.

Here's the state of my station....I highly suspect many of yours resemble mine. First, we have late freight...frequently. Everyone knows what happens, so I don't need to explain it further. Next, we have numerous new employees. In fact, the revolving door is spinning so fast that some managers don't even know their employee's names. All of our managers are basically de facto couriers, so they're over-tasked and usually unavailable. If they are in the station, they are probably hiding, not answering the phone, or otherwise trying to escape. Our dispatchers really run the station, not the managers. Without them, it would implode because the managers are either on the road or incapable/incompetent. There are few good candidates going into management these days, with predictable results.

Every day, we have new couriers (and some older ones) who return to building without clearing. That means missed pickups, and we have lots. There are a lot of folks out there at 1600 that still have 20 deliveries and don't have the sense to start pickups. Most new employees are huge failures, and a prime example of "you get what you pay for". More senior employees WAD, ensuring they aren't available to help. Lots of shuttles to the ramp, late CTVs, etc.

Sales leads? LOFL. Ask yourself. What is the payoff for doing anything other than showing up and doing the minimum? Nothing. As the bar gets ever lower, even a marginal courier is a "star". People are finally realizing that working hard for FedEx will get you exactly one "reward"...more hard work.

We laughed openly at the SM, and he doggedly pushed through his script anyway. He knows this place is a joke, as do all the other managers. But they keep playing the game because to step out of line would incur the wrath of der Fuhrer or one of his underlings. FedEx is a very messed-up organization. Good luck with trying to unfeck it.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
The never ending smoke & mirrors puppet show. Even the new hires aren't buying into the BS anymore.

Uh, nice try Fred.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
The never ending smoke & mirrors puppet show. Even the new hires aren't buying into the BS anymore.

Uh, nice try Fred.

Sent using BrownCafe App

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Our dispatchers really run the station, not the managers. Without them, it would implode because the managers are either on the road or incapable/incompetent.

Every day, we have new couriers (and some older ones) who return to building without clearing. That means missed pickups, and we have lots. There are a lot of folks out there at 1600 that still have 20 deliveries and don't have the sense to start pickups.

Sounds like you've got an outstanding group of dispatchers who do a great job of running the station.

Doc Sorting Dude

In our station the couriers are getting younger and younger. The seasoned couriers are going by the wayside and being replaced by tattooed and pierced replacements. You remember the movie "Magnum Force"? The young officers were getting rid of the seasoned officers telling them "either you're with us or against us" attitude.

This "new" workforce is changing the face of Fedex before your very eyes and the result is not good. The older couriers are so afraid of losing their jobs that they aren't teaching these new couriers anything knowing they are interchangeable.

Management is focused is operational cuts. Improving station morale is way down their list.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
In our station the couriers are getting younger and younger. The seasoned couriers are going by the wayside and being replaced by tattooed and pierced replacements. You remember the movie "Magnum Force"? The young officers were getting rid of the seasoned officers telling them "either you're with us or against us" attitude.

This "new" workforce is changing the face of Fedex before your very eyes and the result is not good. The older couriers are so afraid of losing their jobs that they aren't teaching these new couriers anything knowing they are interchangeable.

Management is focused is operational cuts. Improving station morale is way down their list.

I agree with most of what you said. However, as a senior courier, I feel it is my responsibility to teach the newbies as much as I can, whether it is tips on how to cope, how to not get screwed or how to do a route. I feel we should ALL do the same. Costs us nothing.

DontThrowPackages

Uh, nice try Fred.

Sent using BrownCafe App
And the newbies have no sense of urgency. With DRA we cross paths with other drivers everyday and seeing one of those newbie PTers, in p1, at "Let's say 7-11" and then at 10:00am they're sending out help messages it just too much.