The Ultimate "Why Orion Is A Failure" thread......

MangoMango

I have been studying Orion on my route since it was forced on me. Here are the failures I have found. Feel free to add anything I might have missed.
Orion builds my route around scheduled "smart" pickups = Dumb.
It wants me to deliver stops around a pickup that canceled itself out of diad.
Orion "creates" stops to pad time. Example. I have a pickup at 11am. It needs a certain amount of stops so it can lead me up to delivering in the area by the 11am pickup. If there are not enough stops that day before the pickup, it either splits 1 address up into 2 or has me driving to another area for a certain amount of stops, then back to trace. It has split one address into 4 different stops. 4 identical boxes each as separate stop. It has also "added" a suite letter to a single building address. Example: 4015 Main st. becomes 4015 and 4015A Main st. It will also create 3 stops by having me deliver Air, go do 20 stops, then deliver saver,leave area, then deliver ground when I go for the scheduled pickup.
It does not honor the committed scheduled pickup time and will want me to pickup a 5pm pickup at 10am so it can have me deliver and pickup in the same area.
Orion will "overwrite" a package label. Example. Shipping label clearly says 4600 Oak Street, Suite A. It will assign it as 4600B Oak street., complete with the 3 names for suite B and not A. I am not sure why it does this almost every day but I'm sure it has to do with the stop padding.
Orion thinks addresses on the opposite site of the freeway are close to each other and will want me to cross back and forth as well as wanting me to deliver stops that are located back to back but I would have to drive 2 miles to go around to get to it. I tried to get this fixed, but apparently it cannot be done. Ok, what else have I missed??

Last edited:

Hot Carl

One driver said it best, "Only Orion thinks I can drive my truck down to the end of a dead end street, pick it up and turn it around, and drive back the other way."

Brisket

If you have a cvs store, better check to make sure you have all the pieces for it since it is usually split into at least two ( if not three) stops, I think it treats the ones that have a minute clinic as separate stops.

I know it’s a good thing but I prefer going there once and being done with it later in the day when they are busier.

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

I’ve always said Orion would be fine if they put the air and pickups in different “folders” of some sort and not in the trace. Unfortunately the company would then have to trust the drivers and concede the smallest amount of micromanagement to the drivers instinct. My favorite is the CVS on my route. It wants me to go there and deliver the air, 15 stops, savers, 15 stops, pharmacy packages, 15 stops, ground, 15 stops, then the pickup. I also have an office building with four suites that are in for three different spots and on three different shelves.

GenericUsername

I really enjoy Orion when it has me go into a large neighborhood, drive to the very far back of it, then work my way to the front rather than me working up one side of it and then down the other.

Misthios

I love my job. Don't you?
My favorite part is a random dump stop I have. If they have more than 2 air pieces Orion makes it separate 2 or 3 separate air stops. (It all gets delivered to the dock anyways) if I have 15 or more ground pieces that now becomes 2 stops. 20 or more and it becomes three stops. So a heavy day for them could be 5 to 6 different stops if I wanted to pad my numbers. Makes no sense to me.

barnyard

KTM rider
My orion plan can be very good, just as long as the dispatch supe builds my load correctly. Friday, he did not. Part way through the day, 24 stops from the end of my route were cut back to me. Instead of putting them back in section 8, they were put 3100-3299. Orion had me deliver that area before I was done with section 4. I followed the plan because my truck was a mess and cleaning that out helped. It easily added an hour to my day.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I don't think Orion does anything with the addresses. That would be the SPA system, but I could be wrong. Orion will split air, ground and savers out. And it will put savers in with pick ups on my route, when I have no time between pick ups to do any deliveries.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
We had a young driver running Orion on an unfamiliar route sink the truck deep into a muddy pasture in the middle of the night. That had to be an expensive tow truck bill. Missed a bunch of stops. Thanks Orion.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
I have been studying Orion on my route since it was forced on me. Here are the failures I have found. Feel free to add anything I might have missed.
Orion builds my route around scheduled "smart" pickups = Dumb.
It wants me to deliver stops around a pickup that canceled itself out of diad.
Orion "creates" stops to pad time. Example. I have a pickup at 11am. It needs a certain amount of stops so it can lead me up to delivering in the area by the 11am pickup. If there are not enough stops that day before the pickup, it either splits 1 address up into 2 or has me driving to another area for a certain amount of stops, then back to trace. It has split one address into 4 different stops. 4 identical boxes each as separate stop. It has also "added" a suite letter to a single building address. Example: 4015 Main st. becomes 4015 and 4015A Main st. It will also create 3 stops by having me deliver Air, go do 20 stops, then deliver saver,leave area, then deliver ground when I go for the scheduled pickup.
It does not honor the committed scheduled pickup time and will want me to pickup a 5pm pickup at 10am so it can have me deliver and pickup in the same area.
Orion will "overwrite" a package label. Example. Shipping label clearly says 4600 Oak Street, Suite A. It will assign it as 4600B Oak street., complete with the 3 names for suite B and not A. I am not sure why it does this almost every day but I'm sure it has to do with the stop padding.
Orion thinks addresses on the opposite site of the freeway are close to each other and will want me to cross back and forth as well as wanting me to deliver stops that are located back to back but I would have to drive 2 miles to go around to get to it. I tried to get this fixed, but apparently it cannot be done. Ok, what else have I missed??

You see the end result of your route not set up prior to the plan running. No PDS has time to re-do every route every day based on what stops he/she will give you. It is impossible. They should have at least 4 perfect base plans that they can copy from everyday. There are 3 other programs that affect the DPS plan which then = Orion. Your PDS or PTPDS has to clean those up and at a minimum update consignees.

You PDS does not know how to fix the freeway issue. It can be fixed, he/she either is blowing you off or does not know how to do it.

Looking forward to Dynamic Orion..gonna make it even better!

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
You see the end result of your route not set up prior to the plan running. No PDS has time to re-do every route every day based on what stops he/she will give you. It is impossible. They should have at least 4 perfect base plans that they can copy from everyday. There are 3 other programs that affect the DPS plan which then = Orion. Your PDS or PTPDS has to clean those up and at a minimum update consignees.

You PDS does not know how to fix the freeway issue. It can be fixed, he/she either is blowing you off or does not know how to do it.

Looking forward to Dynamic Orion..gonna make it even better!

Doubtful
Orion is a utter and total failure