The UPS Strike, 20 Years Later

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
This what is considered a load stand.

9MEC2_AS01

In bigger buildings that have a "box line" ....

The platform would look like this:

1024x1024.jpg

This might be what you are referring to. Just a difference in terminology.

Just like "yard bird or yard horse".

-Bug-

The box line might as well be quantum physics to me. Looks so weird.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Great article! worth the time to read.

I kept every piece of paper handed out during the strike from both sides. the Handouts from the company still make me sick to read to this day. i made the company pay for their arrogance and condescending attitudes by working by the methods everyday and getting an extra hour , at least , in overtime , over other feeder drivers that had the same exact run. and the company could not do anything about it even though I had extra ride alongs to see if i were stealing time.

Thomas Jefferson said that there should be a revolution every 20 years.

It's time for one.

I'm tired of the Teamsters taking one step forward , two steps back and will stand with you on the picket line if you go out on strike.

At our union meetings, we're talking about mandatory docks, no more than two/three trucks per loader, others want $15/hour (I don't)..so much discussion..I think a strike will be happening.
Docks incurage stacking outside cars. You will never get language on docks. Loaders typically load 2-4 sometimes 5 cars. You will never get language on limiting work during staffing issues.

You are in a small local that does not represent the majority of your joint council. A strike at this point (with increased competition) could cost many jobs, and may be detrimental to fully funded pension plans. Retirees could be at risk.

W

What The Hawk?

Docks incurage stacking outside cars. You will never get language on docks. Loaders typically load 2-4 sometimes 5 cars. You will never get language on limiting work during staffing issues.

You are in a small local that does not represent the majority of your joint council. A strike at this point (with increased competition) could cost many jobs, and may be detrimental to fully funded pension plans. Retirees could be at risk.
I don't want to load 7 cars. Thats a bit much. Docks..we might hear it because we stack even more now since we got zero space to put out bulks or other big things. Like the navy truck here..first stop is the naval base..huuuuge bulk stop..cant go in..needs to stack until the end. Barely any space to walk by. Gotta squeeze by.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Great article! worth the time to read.

I kept every piece of paper handed out during the strike from both sides. the Handouts from the company still make me sick to read to this day. i made the company pay for their arrogance and condescending attitudes by working by the methods everyday and getting an extra hour , at least , in overtime , over other feeder drivers that had the same exact run. and the company could not do anything about it even though I had extra ride alongs to see if i were stealing time.

Thomas Jefferson said that there should be a revolution every 20 years.

It's time for one.

I'm tired of the Teamsters taking one step forward , two steps back and will stand with you on the picket line if you go out on strike.

Will you wear your stripper outfit?

I don't want to load 7 cars. Thats a bit much. Docks..we might hear it because we stack even more now since we got zero space to put out bulks or other big things. Like the navy truck here..first stop is the naval base..huuuuge bulk stop..cant go in..needs to stack until the end. Barely any space to walk by. Gotta squeeze by.
7 trucks is still a staffing issue. Staffing issues have been going on for 30-35 years. Docks where needed is one thing, but MANDATORY? Will never happen. We don't even have language for mandatory hand trucks.

W

What The Hawk?

7 trucks is still a staffing issue. Staffing issues have been going on for 30-35 years. Docks where needed is one thing, but MANDATORY? Will never happen. We don't even have language for mandatory hand trucks.
They only give docks to peole who dont need it and then stack outside for the rest of the year. We have tons of docks..why not use them? I'm sure when my boss gets fired which I've been hearing he's going to be then things will change hopefully for the better probably would be better anybody would be better than this guy

They only give docks to peole who dont need it and then stack outside for the rest of the year. We have tons of docks..why not use them? I'm sure when my boss gets fired which I've been hearing he's going to be then things will change hopefully for the better probably would be better anybody would be better than this guy
Sounds like your navy truck needs a dock and be parked at the end of the belt. Will be difficult to fire your boss.

W

What The Hawk?

Sounds like your navy truck needs a dock and be parked at the end of the belt. Will be difficult to fire your boss.
Lol no it wont. He's getting complaints out the ass. He was 4 hours late last week. Hes always late, the plan is always up late. The plan is like 15 to 30 mins late usually. Center manager is lighting a fire under his ass. When Gordon was here..he would yell at my boss but nothing would happen. New center manager is there at like 4 or 5am everyday instead of 6 or 7.