The Vietnam war

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I just added that I knew people who both got hurt and who died....what my grad year has to do with anything is beyond me. Never did drugs.....it was the 60's and I took notes!!
You said trump was still in school and that he was the same age as you.

Implying he was to young to of served in Vietnam.

Obviously that's not the case.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Grew up in the sixties, and you don't have a clue.

Privileged childhood?
As a freshman in H.S. in 61, I didn't care about politics.......the freshmen of today don't either. We just didn't have the electronic devices that kids have today.
We had lyrics you could actually sing along with in mixed company.
Privileged ??? Dad was a tire builder in one of the rubber companies,,,,,Akron used to be full of them. He was employed, so yeah I was privileged. I had clothes to wear, food to eat and the government didn't supply it. Mom stayed at home and cooked and cleaned.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
As a freshman in H.S. in 61, I didn't care about politics.......the freshmen of today don't either. We just didn't have the electronic devices that kids have today.
We had lyrics you could actually sing along with in mixed company.
Privileged ??? Dad was a tire builder in one of the rubber companies,,,,,Akron used to be full of them. He was employed, so yeah I was privileged. I had clothes to wear, food to eat and the government didn't supply it. Mom stayed at home and cooked and cleaned.

Are you kidding me? I was three years behind you, and I knew what was going on. It was way more than just politics.

Maybe you weren't privileged, but if you had no idea what the war was about, or how it was tearing this country apart, you were certainly sheltered from the real world.

Just like now in your gated South California neighborhood.

Serf

I'm always amazed when Vietnam vets are awestruck by service from us guys in Iraq and Afghanistan. When I watched that doc on the fighting in Hue City. It's akin to that brief time in Fallujah. Hardcore, brutal, insane. I can't even watch it without chain smoking. But I pause, and I humbly tell them: "you guys are the real heroes. Fighting an unpopular war, in the jungles. By comparison, I try to keep it in perspective that most of the time I had a spotty enough internet connect to shoot an email home and tell them I was ok.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Are you kidding me? I was three years behind you, and I knew what was going on. It was way more than just politics.

Maybe you weren't privileged, but if you had no idea what the war was about, or how it was tearing this country apart, you were certainly sheltered from the real world.

The thing I recall most about anything political was sophomore typing class when they announced over the P.A. system that Kennedy was shot.
Gee, like no one has a fence or gate at their property!! Anyone can get in....just wait a couple mins. and someone will go in and you can follow. It's not armed with ak47's.......you have to have those in your own home:rolleyes:

moreluck

golden ticket member

As subjects in school I detested civics & history....which is why the news didn't interest me at all. It was the time of the Beatles and Beach Boys....I found that more interesting!

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
As subjects in school I detested civics & history....which is why the news didn't interest me at all. It was the time of the Beatles and Beach Boys....I found that more interesting!
Easy to do when you're exempt from the draft I guess.

rickyb

god i just read an article earlier; sounds like crap. you know vietnam was trying to set up democracy right? prior to the US invasion, it was getting screwed by the french.

Obfuscating the Truths of Vietnam

The honest portrayal of a people who wanted authentic autonomy from a stream of colonial intervenors seems outside our capacity to embrace, and certainly we were not able to comprehend the deep Vietnamese commitment to do whatever they believed necessary to rid itself of its latest occupier. Instead, the US created and funded a fictitious government with a corresponding enemy to justify our intervention against the shadowy, deceitful, evil, though tenacious “communists”. This US policy was intended to prevent a successful “Third World” post-WWII revolutionary movement that possessed the potential to spread to other restive peoples.

*The US destroyed more than 60 percent of Viet Nam’s 21,000 inhabited, undefended villages, including use of unprecedented 8 million tons of bombs and 370,000 tons of napalm, murdering 4 to 5 million, leaving a decimated landscape with 26 million bomb craters and as many as 300,000 tons of unexploded ordnance that continue to kill and injure thousands every year;

*USAF manuals instructed the intentional bombings of the “psycho-social structure” of Viet Nam such as pagodas and churches (950 of them), schools (over 3,000) and hospitals and maternity wards (1,850, many with large red crosses painted on their roofs);

*US and South Vietnamese pilots were trained to “cut people down like little cloth dummies” during daytime raids;

*US employed the most intensive use of chemical warfare in human history, spraying 21 million gallons of lethal poison leaving millions deformed, sick and dead, now with third generation birth deformities;

*The US used torture in every southern province to extract confessions;

*The US imposed free fire (genocide) zones over 75 percent of the South, mass murdering villagers on the ground, etc.
"

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I had a dream last night about shooting VC from a helicopter while they were running through rice patties.
I got 12,500 points!
Got extra points if it was a kid or woman and triple points if it was a pregnant woman.

Last edited:

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
i've watched through to the Tet offensives, so far so good but the period under Abrams is when all the juicy nuanced stuff happened so we'll see how they handle it