Thinking about switching to Express opinions?

outtatime

Lol
Don’t even worry about that they just let you do yo thing
So the telematics in all the trucks is not micromanaging? Tracks how many times you back up the truck, if the seatbelt was fastened and when, when the bulkhead door was opened/closed, was the parking brake set etc.

McFeely

Huge Member
*Update* not that anyone cares but...
Express interview went well offered a FT Courier position
Have a interview with UPS in my area that is looking for FT Drivers(not seasonal)
On top of all this my contractor is moving me to a nicer residential route
Decisions decisions.

Out of those 3 options, I would definitely ditch Ground regardless of how "nice" the new route is. Truth is, you'll be working just as hard at Ground as a UPS driver for half the wage (maybe less than half!).

Express for sure has its pros and cons though. What's the schedule for the FT position at Express? I wouldn't take any FT position that wasn't a regular morning/daytime route, but that's me. I work roughly 0700-1600 but we have some FT drivers who are 1300-2100 routes.

If you're young and don't mind the work, UPS will pay you much more short-term as well as long-term, but it will turn your joints to dust over time. Express pays less but the work can be way less taxing than what Ground or UPS would put you through. Also Express is going through a ton of changes and they're trying to cut OT as much as possible, but I've heard that line as long as I've been with FedEx.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
So the telematics in all the trucks is not micromanaging? Tracks how many times you back up the truck, if the seatbelt was fastened and when, when the bulkhead door was opened/closed, was the parking brake set etc.
It’s MACROmanaging on a micro level!

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
*Update* not that anyone cares but...
Express interview went well offered a FT Courier position
Have a interview with UPS in my area that is looking for FT Drivers(not seasonal)
On top of all this my contractor is moving me to a nicer residential route
Decisions decisions.
UPS is longer hours of harder work but outstanding compensation.
Express is easier work and probably better hours but you take a hit in compensation.

The only benefit I see at Ground is perhaps the relationship with your contractor. Can you see him at will, discuss things candidly without worrying about ticking each other off, and get changes made if need be - that kind of stuff? That's worth something.

ExizFed

So the telematics in all the trucks is not micromanaging? Tracks how many times you back up the truck, if the seat belt was fastened and when, when the bulkhead door was opened/closed, was the parking brake set etc.
I guess when I hear UPS drivers say they are micro manged I think that they are saying their supervisor calls them often on route for little things like that. Our trucks are tracked almost the same but no one bothers me on the road unless something comes up.
Out of those 3 options, I would definitely ditch Ground regardless of how "nice" the new route is. Truth is, you'll be working just as hard at Ground as a UPS driver for half the wage (maybe less than half!).

Express for sure has its pros and cons though. What's the schedule for the FT position at Express? I wouldn't take any FT position that wasn't a regular morning/daytime route, but that's me. I work roughly 0700-1600 but we have some FT drivers who are 1300-2100 routes.

If you're young and don't mind the work, UPS will pay you much more short-term as well as long-term, but it will turn your joints to dust over time. Express pays less but the work can be way less taxing than what Ground or UPS would put you through. Also Express is going through a ton of changes and they're trying to cut OT as much as possible, but I've heard that line as long as I've been with FedEx.
The schedule is Mon-Fri 11:45am to 8:30pm FT for Express, not sure if this makes a difference the manager told me when I get done with my route I would be sorting when I get back to the terminal so courier/handler I think he said but courier pay.
It’s MACROmanaging on a micro level!
I'm ok with tracking as long as a supervisor isn't calling me every hour about little things.
UPS is longer hours of harder work but outstanding compensation.
Express is easier work and probably better hours but you take a hit in compensation.

The only benefit I see at Ground is perhaps the relationship with your contractor. Can you see him at will, discuss things candidly without worrying about ticking each other off, and get changes made if need be - that kind of stuff? That's worth something.
I see what you are saying about Ground they treat me good but no health insurance sucks.

Last edited:

McFeely

Huge Member
The schedule is Mon-Fri 11:45am to 8:30pm FT for Express, not sure if this makes a difference the manager told me when I get done with my route I would be sorting when I get back to the terminal so courier/handler I think he said but courier pay.

All Express couriers do some sorting from time to time; could be am sort or pm sort, sometimes both. The one positive to doing a route where you work the pm sort every night is that you would (typically) have an end time to your day almost everyday. Those of us that don't do the pm sort have to stay out and deliver until everything gets delivered.

As for micromanaging, I highly doubt management at UPS or Express would be calling you regularly. My manager at Express typically never calls me, but will message me maybe once a month to ask a question about schedule or something simple. If there is a job performance issue, you'll hear about that from your management team in a documented setting (OLCC, warning letters, etc) but not in a text or over the phone since it isn't officially documented.