Thinking about switching to Express opinions?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Currently working for Ground didn't realize the difference with Ground and Express(working wise) so my question is does FedEx Express have better career opportunities then Ground like pay, benefits, working conditions, management, retirement? I have a upcoming interview for FT courier position would like to know if it's worth going to Express if offered the job?
If you want to work hard and earn great money, go to UPS. If you want to work easier than you are now and make okay money (along with more potential for advancement), go to Express.

ExizFed

I'll have to see if Express offers me the job if not I might take the UPS seasonal FT driver job even though it's only for a month. HR told me if I do a "good" job I might get hired on so time will tell I guess. Thanks for the input everyone.

Last edited:

It will be fine

I'll have to see if Express offers me the job if not I might take the UPS seasonal FT driver job even though it's only for a month. HR told me if I do "good" i might get hired on so time will tell I guess. Thanks for the input everyone.
Do UPS regardless. Express will still hire you if you don’t get to stay on at UPS in a month.

dezguy

I'll have to see if Express offers me the job if not I might take the UPS seasonal FT driver job even though it's only for a month. HR told me if I do a "good" job I might get hired on so time will tell I guess. Thanks for the input everyone.
Word of warning, the UPS location where I am at does this every lead up to peak. Then, a few weeks after Christmas, all these people they told if you work your ass off, you'll get hired on, end up being shown the door.

Guitarman01

A few thoughts. I worked at UPS for over 7 years, based on the union and their seniority no one is becoming a full-time driver anytime soon off the streets, at least at my hub. Thats something you have to put in many, many years for. I would also say just based on their trucks vs express its a rougher job. No a/c for one. Most drive sprinters at Express, there is no comparison. A brown truck will beat you up just as much as the job itself.

As far as the post office, those guys work 7 days a week lol, and have to deal with all of amazons bs. Some people like overtime but you are guaranteed to have no life working for the post office.

Im newer myself at Express, but honestly if they can now stay true to their 10 step plan, I dont think there are many better driver jobs out there.
Anyone disagree?

Edit: seasonal drivers at UPS? Yes it is absolutely seasonal, they tell you that up front.

ExizFed

A few thoughts. I worked at UPS for over 7 years, based on the union and their seniority no one is becoming a full-time driver anytime soon off the streets, at least at my hub. Thats something you have to put in many, many years for. I would also say just based on their trucks vs express its a rougher job. No a/c for one. Most drive sprinters at Express, there is no comparison. A brown truck will beat you up just as much as the job itself.

As far as the post office, those guys work 7 days a week lol, and have to deal with all of amazons bs. Some people like overtime but you are guaranteed to have no life working for the post office.

Im newer myself at Express, but honestly if they can now stay true to their 10 step plan, I dont think there are many better driver jobs out there.
Anyone disagree?

Edit: seasonal drivers at UPS? Yes it is absolutely seasonal, they tell you that up front.
Some people mention on here Express not sticking with the step plan. I have my interview tomorrow with Express. Does UPS usually hire seasonal drivers just for a month though? I found that odd when HR told me that.

MAKAVELI

Some people mention on here Express not sticking with the step plan. I have my interview tomorrow with Express. Does UPS usually hire seasonal drivers just for a month though? I found that odd when HR told me that.
If you are good you'll have a shot at UPS fulltime. Otherwise FedEx is always hiring and if you have a pulse you're guaranteed a job a FedEx. The choice is yours.

Aquaman

They can’t stick to the pay plan. You’ll probably hear in your interview about a 10 “year” top out plan. Trust us all it’s much longer than that. COVID has shown all of us that step raises are NOT contingent upon the companies profits. We’ve had record breaking profit this whole pandemic and are getting our first step raise in a few years. It seems to be contingent upon hiring/staffing problems and employee rage. You’ll get a step raise, then go 2-3 years with 2%. When employees get mad enough, they’ll throw us another bone. Essentially keeping it a 20+ year top out.

ExizFed

*Update* not that anyone cares but...
Express interview went well offered a FT Courier position
Have a interview with UPS in my area that is looking for FT Drivers(not seasonal)
On top of all this my contractor is moving me to a nicer residential route
Decisions decisions.

ExizFed

Question for UPS drivers, I have 4 UPS stations in my area 3 of them always hire Seasonal drivers the 4th station doesn't hire seasonal they full time drivers thought that was kind of odd.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Question for UPS drivers, I have 4 UPS stations in my area 3 of them always hire Seasonal drivers the 4th station doesn't hire seasonal they full time drivers thought that was kind of odd.
They aren’t stations
Why don’t you think #4 hires seasonal?

outtatime

If you read some threads in the UPS forums there are many people who were told they would be FT drivers, only to find out later they were seasonal. UPS does pay quite a bit more but they bust their a** for that money. Blown out trucks, no a/c, micromanaging everthing they do on-road etc. If I was looking for something new, I'd find an Express RTD job. Easiest job in the company.

ExizFed

They aren’t stations
Why don’t you think #4 hires seasonal?
One of my friends has a family member at the 4th terminal he told me that they usually don't hire seasonal they hire full-time drivers but it's a smaller terminal the other three terminals are bigger and cover large metro areas.
If you read some threads in the UPS forums there are many people who were told they would be FT drivers, only to find out later they were seasonal. UPS does pay quite a bit more but they bust their a** for that money. Blown out trucks, no a/c, micromanaging everthing they do on-road etc. If I was looking for something new, I'd find an Express RTD job. Easiest job in the company.
That is a possibility as well that makes me wonder. I'll wait and see what they tell me at my interview. I don't like to be micromanaged how bad is it at UPS?