This contract is not passing til 2019

mikejonesjr

At best we will get a chance to vote in September and that leaves it close to October to get the results back. I don't see the contract passing as it is but even it the national does pass there will be supplements that do not. And that's the best case scenario. And then they have only like a month to negotiate til peak? They aren't nenotiating during peak. Gunna be another 6+ month retro check. (Ps this contract is gunna look even worse after peak once results come back saying company made record profits once again.)

JustDeliverIt

Honestly, if the union leadership had the stones, that would be great timing. Come back with a shot down contract, right before peak, and throw the strike authorization in their face. I still don't believe we will ever strike, but it might put the necessary pressure on to get something done that both UPS and the employees are happy with.

mikejonesjr

Honestly, if the union leadership had the stones, that would be great timing. Come back with a shot down contract, right before peak, and throw the strike authorization in their face. I still don't believe we will ever strike, but it might put the necessary pressure on to get something done that both UPS and the employees are happy with.
Someone told me they would wait til after peak to strike if that was even an option. But I doubt it. Seeing record profits again might help more than striking during peak anyway

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
At best we will get a chance to vote in September and that leaves it close to October to get the results back. I don't see the contract passing as it is but even it the national does pass there will be supplements that do not. And that's the best case scenario. And then they have only like a month to negotiate til peak? They aren't nenotiating during peak. Gunna be another 6+ month retro check. (Ps this contract is gunna look even worse after peak once results come back saying company made record profits once again.)

I am not sure exactly when it goes to membership to vote or even if it will. It's all guess work.

I won't Scab but being an ol'-timer. I'm thinking at some point I take (the predicted offer) of -$2.81 an hour an go back to $34.79 with no union at UPS. It's going to hurt.... not so much on the hourly from $37.60 today to $34.79, but my PEER 80 status could be up in the air and I might be looking at an extra decade of UPS just to get to that 59.5 yr(401k) status and closer to 62 so I can get 70% of my S.S... Sweet Jesus! I could actually be looking at a dozen more years before retiring with a reduced pension compared to today. Sickening! Sick to my guts!

I can't find another job here for $34.79 that I know of, Hell, I don't even really know how to write a resume. My businesses here mostly averages around $12 an hour. I might get lucky and find an $18 an hour job if UPS doesn't take me back. I can't weld or have no technology skills. I think I'm screwed. I just hope they offer us 25+ year employees the $34.79 rate. I suspect I'll go from 8-weeks vacation to 5-weeks and at 40-hour paid week, no longer 45-hours paid. I bet we can kiss away any production bonus too. Wasn't a large part of my income but it was extra. I pray our healthcare stays the same.

It's going to be stressful. Good Luck to all.

Box Ox

I think Trump wouldn’t hesitate to use his power under the Taft-Harley Act to order a 80 day “cooling off period” and get a court injunction to avert a strike during the holiday season. The Union just needs to help the Company stall long enough to make sure November and December would be covered.

Here’s an example of Bush having used the power in 2002:

“President Bush intervened in the 11-day shutdown of 29 West Coast ports today, successfully seeking a court order today to halt the employers' lockout of 10,500 longshoremen, because the operation of the ports is ''vital to our economy and to our military.''

Judge William Alsup of Federal District Court in San Francisco issued a temporary injunction tonight that ordered the ports reopened immediately.

In seeking to suspend the shutdown for 80 days, Mr. Bush became the first president to successfully invoke the Taft-Hartley Act emergency provisions since President Richard M. Nixon sought to stop a longshoremen's strike in 1971.

Judge Alsup said he would hold a hearing in a week on whether to grant a full 80-day injunction. If he grants it, the dispute would be pushed past the Nov. 5 election, past the Christmas buying season and, perhaps, past the start of military action against Iraq.”

PRESIDENT INVOKES TAFT-HARTLEY ACT TO OPEN 29 PORTS

Box Ox

I am not sure exactly when it goes to membership to vote or even if it will. It's all guess work.

I won't Scab but being an ol'-timer. I'm thinking at some point I take (the predicted offer) of -$2.81 an hour an go back to $34.79 with no union at UPS. It's going to hurt.... not so much on the hourly from $37.60 today to $34.79, but my PEER 80 status could be up in the air and I might be looking at an extra decade of UPS just to get to that 59.5 yr(401k) status and closer to 62 so I can get 70% of my S.S... Sweet Jesus! I could actually be looking at a dozen more years before retiring with a reduced pension compared to today. Sickening! Sick to my guts!

I can't find another job here for $34.79 that I know of, Hell, I don't even really know how to write a resume. My businesses here mostly averages around $12 an hour. I might get lucky and find an $18 an hour job if UPS doesn't take me back. I can't weld or have no technology skills. I think I'm screwed. I just hope they offer us 25+ year employees the $34.79 rate. I suspect I'll go from 8-weeks vacation to 5-weeks and at 40-hour paid week, no longer 45-hours paid. I bet we can kiss away any production bonus too. Wasn't a large part of my income but it was extra. I pray our healthcare stays the same.

It's going to be stressful. Good Luck to all.

Now that’s some quality scare tactic propaganda. You must have received orders from your boss to kick it up a notch.

JustDeliverIt

Yes, I could see Trump getting involved at that point as well. But I also don't see the leadership using everything to its best advantage. We would work thru peak, have something presented to us in January and the notion of retro checks get pushed heavily. Everyone working crazy hours thru peak and thinking of that fat check coming their way rather than the long term results of the contract with few things changed.

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
I know you're upset and voting no along with the major majority. I see it all over the net. I didn't just fall off the irregular cart. I know it's coming.

I am in the WCT and have 26 years in and could right now take my 'PEER Lock-In' and be guaranteed full pension at 54-years old (54 + 26 =80), yet will it be reduced by then. I'm sure it will be if UPS no longer does business with the union. Which is a possibility down the road. Don't think it's not possible. History shows it's happened in other corporations.

I think back to our strike in 1997 and as the center manager & supervisors pulled out of the building to get air or deliver as most strikers chanted and screamed at them... some very volatile. I never felt the need to being viscous to them. They had no real desire to be out delivering the remaining volume. What did p*** me off was when they'd roll back to the building 45-minutes later and I knew they met somebody... turns out it was the 1-3 year employees at their apartment or meet point and those new hired 1-3 year Scabs were out delivering some stops on my route out of their personal cars, other routes too. The Scabs were told not to come to the UPS building to work. They didn't even have the cajones to face us. Pathetic scum in my book and what infuriated me the most was the fact I mainly quit my job so they could go from part-time to full-time. Us long-term employees gave it up for them and here they were screwing us behind our back and after the strike not one of those Scabs were disciplined in any way. Mainly because it was all on the hush. My coworkers never even knew what employees did Scab. Heck, I didn't either... it was my customers who told me about it.

Sickening!

Indecisi0n

As much of a union guy that I am, I don't think the union has the balls to strike that close to peak. I would love to use that leverage though.

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
As much of a union guy that I am, I don't think the union has the balls to strike that close to peak. I would love to use that leverage though.
I agree they won't strike in mid November. I think I've read where you're in Feeders. You'll be safe. The training you have, the CDL. Our nation is hurting for long haul truckers. I never know if you're joking on here or honest because you're very humorous. My guess is you're a butch female feeder driver and take no offense to that. Your sexuality is your business. I just feel you're Bull/Female. The reason I even bring that up is you're more than likely financially set for life. So all the miserable crap UPS management throws down on us. You are in a little better position to say friend.U. Charlie BROWN! You see what I'm saying?

I worry about me and others can say well you're just selfish as :censored2: at 46 now aren't ya? I'd say... who isn't? I mean a BC member who hates me is 2033 for supporting this contract. I believe he/she has stated he makes $19 now and he went through all the crap, Intergrad, the 5-keys, the 10-points of light recite... The whole pap smear and now makes $19 and all of a sudden these new 22.4's will start over $20 and it just chaps his hide. I get that... yet, I also know UPS corporate & remember 1997 and they're way more stern than they were in 1997, while the Teamsters are not near as unity strong as we were 21-years ago.

I'm spooked. Hate me voting Yes but I gotta do what's best for yours truly and I feel you also feel that way too.

JustDeliverIt

I agree completely. I honestly believe a strike would hurt both sides and don't want to see it come to that. But I've got 18+ years to go and looking towards the future I feel this contract sets us back when we have had the best position in the 11+ years I've worked here.
And I feel all it would take is some strengthening of language (22.4 rights, definitive 60 hours max unless employee opts for 70 hours and catch up raises for those pt employees who put time in and would now just make as much as a new hire). If those were changed I think it would pass without an issue

Indecisi0n

I agree they won't strike in mid November. I think I've read where you're in Feeders. You'll be safe. The training you have, the CDL. Our nation is hurting for long haul truckers. I never know if you're joking on here or honest because you're very humorous. My guess is you're a butch female feeder driver and take no offense to that. Your sexuality is your business. I just feel you're Bull/Female. The reason I even bring that up is you're more than likely financially set for life. So all the miserable crap UPS management throws down on us. You are in a little better position to say friend.U. Charlie BROWN! You see what I'm saying?

I worry about me and others can say well you're just selfish as :censored2: at 46 now aren't ya? I'd say... who isn't? I mean a BC member who hates me is 2033 for supporting this contract. I believe he/she has stated he makes $19 now and he went through all the crap, Intergrad, the 5-keys, the 10-points of light recite... The whole pap smear and now makes $19 and all of a sudden these new 22.4's will start over $20 and it just chaps his hide. I get that... yet, I also know UPS corporate & remember 1997 and they're way more stern than they were in 1997, while the Teamsters are not near as unity strong as we were 21-years ago.

I'm spooked. Hate me voting Yes but I gotta do what's best for yours truly and I feel you also feel that way too.
I use to be female but no more.