This ought to be amusing...

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
My building is undergoing a massive change-of-operations process. We are consolidating from 3 centers down to 2; my center is being dissolved and split up between the 2 other centers on August 1st, and then in October our building will send 15 routes up to a new facility in Portland.

I'm on vacation for the next month, so the dissolution of my center happens while I am gone. To make things even more interesting, the center manager of my "new" center is retiring in a couple of weeks. So when I do go back to work...two weeks after the consolidation...I will be on a new center with no idea who my center manager or on-car sup is. And they will have no idea of who I am, or what I even look like.

So, just to satisfy my own warped and morbid curiosity... I wanna see how long I can keep it that way. :wink2:My "plan" for my first day back...is to go in early enough so I can figure out which slot my DIAD is in. Once I am clocked on, I will continue to attend PCM's in the same place I used to, albiet for the wrong center. With all of the chaos and confusion and supervisors dealing with new faces, I'm betting no one will even notice. If I can get my DIAD, get in my truck, get the hell out of the building and then bust ass and get the route done with no issues...I bet I can make it 2 or 3 weeks without my new management team having the slightest clue who I even am. My goal...is to be nothing to them but a route number that shows up on a piece of paper, with no face attached to it.

I really think I can pull it off. Our sups are going to be so overworked and overwhelmed trying to manage all the chaos and "problem children" that they arent going to have any time to waste focusing on some anonymous driver that just gets his route done without creating any problems or paperwork. Of course, if they really need to they can get still get hold of me thru the DIAD for any necessary communication...but unless I get told to "come into the office" for some reason they still wont know who I am.

There will be over 100 drivers on the new center. It will be pretty easy to hide in plain sight.

lastoasis

ells4701.jpg
I would also recommend wearing this
ells4701.jpg

UnconTROLLed

perfection
My building is undergoing a massive change-of-operations process. We are consolidating from 3 centers down to 2; my center is being dissolved and split up between the 2 other centers on August 1st, and then in October our building will send 15 routes up to a new facility in Portland.

I'm on vacation for the next month, so the dissolution of my center happens while I am gone. To make things even more interesting, the center manager of my "new" center is retiring in a couple of weeks. So when I do go back to work...two weeks after the consolidation...I will be on a new center with no idea who my center manager or on-car sup is. And they will have no idea of who I am, or what I even look like.

So, just to satisfy my own warped and morbid curiosity... I wanna see how long I can keep it that way. :wink2:My "plan" for my first day back...is to go in early enough so I can figure out which slot my DIAD is in. Once I am clocked on, I will continue to attend PCM's in the same place I used to, albiet for the wrong center. With all of the chaos and confusion and supervisors dealing with new faces, I'm betting no one will even notice. If I can get my DIAD, get in my truck, get the hell out of the building and then bust ass and get the route done with no issues...I bet I can make it 2 or 3 weeks without my new management team having the slightest clue who I even am. My goal...is to be nothing to them but a route number that shows up on a piece of paper, with no face attached to it.

I really think I can pull it off. Our sups are going to be so overworked and overwhelmed trying to manage all the chaos and "problem children" that they arent going to have any time to waste focusing on some anonymous driver that just gets his route done without creating any problems or paperwork. Of course, if they really need to they can get still get hold of me thru the DIAD for any necessary communication...but unless I get told to "come into the office" for some reason they still wont know who I am.

There will be over 100 drivers on the new center. It will be pretty easy to hide in plain sight.

I say enjoy your vaca, and on your last day begin thinking of stuff like this. Right now the shock and horror is too fresh in your mind. :wink2:

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
We consolidated from 4 down to 3 about 5 years ago. The center that I started in as a P/T'er and an Air Driver was dissolved. Our center only took on 6 routes from that dissolved center. The other 50-something routes were dissolved amongst the other two centers.

soberups

Yes amusing. For a 12 year old with a substitute teacher.:happy2::peaceful:

Point taken...but since they seem to want to treat us like 12 year olds with their constant petty micromanaging, obsession with irrelevant statistics, and reciting of acronyms and commentaries...I suppose there is no harm in occasionally acting like one.

My plan is to behave like an adult and a professional who is quite capable of getting the work done with absolutely no input or participation from them. Their only job is to make sure my paycheck clears the bank.

slantnosechevy

As fast as technology is progressing you'll get to see that plan in action very soon. No one in operations thinks it's possible.......but it is.

Centers are flunking Ketter audits on the mngmnt. side and new supes can't pass the driving tests. The company will bypass them. They realize they've got what they paid for.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Point taken...but since they seem to want to treat us like 12 year olds with their constant petty micromanaging, obsession with irrelevant statistics, and reciting of acronyms and commentaries...I suppose there is no harm in occasionally acting like one.

My plan is to behave like an adult and a professional who is quite capable of getting the work done with absolutely no input or participation from them. Their only job is to make sure my paycheck clears the bank.
It sounds delicious. I remember a new boss telling me once that he never noticed me before, after like a month and a half. And we are a small center. I said yes sir that was the plan, now its ruined. Stay off the radar, and it could be fun again. But enjoy your month off! Im going back after a week, and ready to cry.

soberups

It's a beautiful plan. A month off? That will be one depressing Sunday night.

My depression will be tempered by the fact that only 3 weeks after returning to work .....I will be on vacation again. :happy-very:In Mid-september I will be heading over to the coast for a week for the annual "UPS guys salmon fishing trip." About 20 of us rent a vacation house on the beach and several of the guys own boats so all go out into the bay or the ocean and fish for Chinook and Coho salmon. We also drop crab pots in the water and have huge feasts of fresh crab and salmon for dinner every night. The house has multiple big-screen TV's so we can rent movies or watch football at night. There are also poker games and since I dont drink and most everyone else does I usually do quite well. I have no qualms whatsoever about kicking a drunks ass around on the poker table.:devil3:

Matthew

I heard something about this happening in my building as well. They are consolidating, what is probably the biggest center, into the other 4 centers in our building.
I hope this does not lead to layoffs as well.
:(

CharleyHustle

'Bout 25 years ago, we got a new center manager. I was on a heavy duty route next to the center. Back then all I cared about was pounding Budwiser and chasing beaver, so I hardly noticed. I had to call in to tell them I wasn't going to make it, so of course he hopped over to see me with my on car supe. He said I was to "get everything done and be in by such and such a time". I said "or what"? He said "or else"! I said "or else what"? He said I would "face very serious consequences"! I said "I've been busting butt all day, you've been here 5 min and you're threating me with my job and I don't even know what the heck your name is"!

Cementups

Box Monkey
I play this game every time we get a new center manager. I avoid them finding out who I am. As long as I do nothing stupid, I stay hidden.

satellitedriver

I have always approached the regime change-( been through 13 center manager's and 6 DM's)- with a face on approach.
I walk up to them as soon as I can and tell them my full, formal name and shake their hand, full well knowing that I will still be around long after they are gone.
No need for me to hide, or play games.
Simple as this:
I know my job and I will do it.
Granted, I might be terminated for some small infraction tomorrow by a number seeking Sup, but I will have the knowledge that I have done my job/career with honor for 24yrs.
Hide, I will not.