This year's raises

Purplepackage

Swing drivers with less route knowledge getting paid the same as the more knowledgable swings isn't much different than a person bulking out a 900 or a Bobtruck getting paid the same as a person in a Sprinter with few boxes and plenty of documents. There will always be those that do less and make the same as those that do more.

Our Bobtruck driver is actually a courier/handler and scans and delivers more than any 3 or 4 couriers combined and makes less than they do.

Oldfart does have a point in that aspect. We have a courier that deliveries 300 pieces a day(150 of that is bags of paper) 100 deliveries a day and drives 170 miles a day with 20 pups. While the guy next to him drives 50 miles a day and does 120 total stops the whole and done by 3

vantexan

Oldfart does have a point in that aspect. We have a courier that deliveries 300 pieces a day(150 of that is bags of paper) 100 deliveries a day and drives 170 miles a day with 20 pups. While the guy next to him drives 50 miles a day and does 120 total stops the whole and done by 3
It's those ones who have easier rts, make much more, and never help or volunteer that makes many grind their teeth. Now at least everyone is on a step and the guy killing it on step one knows he'll eventually make as much as the slacker on step 10. No more working next to the guy who made $7hr more than you when you started and 10 years later makes $8hr more than you.

Serf

Swing drivers with less route knowledge getting paid the same as the more knowledgable swings isn't much different than a person bulking out a 900 or a Bobtruck getting paid the same as a person in a Sprinter with few boxes and plenty of documents. There will always be those that do less and make the same as those that do more.

Our Bobtruck driver is actually a courier/handler and scans and delivers more than any 3 or 4 couriers combined and makes less than they do.
Sure. Happens on a daily basis. Same with shuttle drivers doing deliveries instead of couriers.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
The guy with the 'easy' route typically wasn't handed it on a silver platter. They went through the process of progressing through the crap jobs until they worked their way into the cream puff route. I have no problem with this scenario.

vantexan

The guy with the 'easy' route typically wasn't handed it on a silver platter. They went through the process of progressing through the crap jobs until they worked their way into the cream puff route. I have no problem with this scenario.
I don't have a problem with that. I do have a problem with working 10-15 years and still making a lot less than a guy who topped out in 2-4 years, has a much easier rt, and never lifts a finger to help those working much harder than him, with the mgr's blessing to boot. Seen it too many times. And I've seen topped out couriers with real pride work their butts off.

Yomama11

So whats more imoortant the amount of work and effort you give on your route or the amount of time you've been employed to have a higher pay. OBVIOUSLY FEDEX DOESNT CARE EITHER WAY. As long as they have a body in a truck to run a route is the purple promise. We are now positioned and locked into a step with our peers who are either below average, average or above average couriers who will move up a step regardless of any factors like lates,missing batches,missing pod's,call outs,accidents on road performance etc..

SmithBarney

I think incentive pay would be a great option for both the company and employees.
It would make it more cut throat, but offering a $.xx per piece(or per stop) bonus might encourage
more employees to stop "dropping" areas to other couriers, we run so many routes inefficiently at our location, this might help.
Also the area has grown fast, and engineers have not even had time to adjust rte boundaries, you have routes that overlap, not in the same loop, crisscrossing each other...

vantexan

So whats more imoortant the amount of work and effort you give on your route or the amount of time you've been employed to have a higher pay. OBVIOUSLY FEDEX DOESNT CARE EITHER WAY. As long as they have a body in a truck to run a route is the purple promise. We are now positioned and locked into a step with our peers who are either below average, average or above average couriers who will move up a step regardless of any factors like lates,missing batches,missing pod's,call outs,accidents on road performance etc..
When we did have a merit system I'd seen in a number of stations a clique form around the mgr. These people got the better raises but often took serious advantage, did little but breed resentment. You can't win so better that everything be taken out of the way of you advancing no matter what the next guy does.

dezguy

I think incentive pay would be a great option for both the company and employees.
It would make it more cut throat, but offering a $.xx per piece(or per stop) bonus might encourage
more employees to stop "dropping" areas to other couriers, we run so many routes inefficiently at our location, this might help.
Also the area has grown fast, and engineers have not even had time to adjust rte boundaries, you have routes that overlap, not in the same loop, crisscrossing each other...
No thanks.

Piece bonuses would be the foot in the door FedEx would need to justify having contractors for Express.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

A per-stop bonus would tend to make things more inefficient. Some DHL operators were hitting stops multiple times a day to inflate their per-stop revenue.

SmithBarney

A per-stop bonus would tend to make things more inefficient. Some DHL operators were hitting stops multiple times a day to inflate their per-stop revenue.

Well of course FedEx would know how to watch for this, as they already do, GAP reports highlight stops that are duplicates... We have enough money hungry fools that if you told them they'd get an extra $.50 a stop, they'd be taking those drop zones back. of course this would probably cause people to start "stealing" stops from other routes..

vantexan

Well of course FedEx would know how to watch for this, as they already do, GAP reports highlight stops that are duplicates... We have enough money hungry fools that if you told them they'd get an extra $.50 a stop, they'd be taking those drop zones back. of course this would probably cause people to start "stealing" stops from other routes..
That would be refreshing seeing people fight over not having enough to do.

Serf

True for the most part. In our case, we have so much seniority at our station. Vets get good routes, but when they retire, engineer chops route in 2 or 3, gives to part time urchins who struggle to handle stops. Meanwhile, also....we have swings who know 2-3 routes that is all.

whenIgetthere

My old station, four guys in one loop would hit the same business stops three times a day, PO, SO and E2. First time I covered one of the routes, the receiver at one of the stops was angry I gave him all their packages during the P1 cycle. This loop came from another station which was closed and areas split between surrounding stations. That station was known by all of us as the country club.

It will be fine

They don't know how to watch for it at Ground. I train my guys on running routes without going through the truck too well. This inevitably leads to bulk stops with individual pieces elsewhere in the truck. I get paid the additional stops when we go back and deliver the stragglers.