This year's raises

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
My old station, four guys in one loop would hit the same business stops three times a day, PO, SO and E2. First time I covered one of the routes, the receiver at one of the stops was angry I gave him all their packages during the P1 cycle.

I've seen guys who made 2 trips to the same stop because of need; 3 PO docs and 50 bulky afternoon pkgs that would take forever to scan and offload. But what you described is a little much.

Yomama11

Anyone hear anything about this year's raise yet? It was mentioned by my manager and several other people on this forum that they were talking about upping swings pay to keep the good swings from stepping down. I haven't heard anything yet about what is actually happening though.
This is the current step progression we are on for all markets. We shall see how these steps hold up in a few months.

Attachments

• 20170804_165030.jpg
    20170804_165030.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 272

BootsOnTarmac

A while back I found the step progression chart on the FedEx intranet, not easy to find. I would guess that posting this information publically would be a violation of some employee agreement. Don't hesitate to ask your manager for this information, but posting it might be an issue. You need to know what your market level is in order to know what your looking at.
If you are on the step plan your manager should provide you with the chart and show you what step you are in.

Maui

Anyone that can sign on to the intranet can access.
Keyword compensation
Click Express
Click current and historical pay
Under current click the link for hourly step progression

That is where you can find that chart

refineryworker05

Still just as "unfair" with the current system...

Everybody gets a 5% raise (or whatever the percent is in a particular year), even the :censored2:ty couriers. The company is encouraging mediocrity by giving everybody the same raise.

I work for a petroleum refinery. I was union for over 10 yrs as an outside operator and now I am a board operator which is management.

Anyway, I remember one of the "benefits" of going non union as it was explained to me was being responsible for getting whatever raise I could earn based on my individual efforts.

But, that's all bs, in any larger company, the efforts of one person to the overall output of that company are going to be very minimal.

The units I oversee make gasoline, diesel fuel, Jet fuel, kerosene. But we don't make all of the gasoline the refinery produces, there is another unit that further processes the Diesel we initially process, and the Jet fuel and kerosene markets aren't as large as the markets for gasoline and Diesel, and the refinery makes a bunch of other products from Crude oil that earn various amounts of money.

In other words, there are so many other parts involved within the refinery, that one person's ability to dramatically impact that refinery's overall revenue even if they are great at their job is extremely limited, unless you mess up so badly that you cause a catastrophic failure or an environmental violation that costs the company many millions of dollars.

So, I have found that earning "better" raises becomes about performing for certain individuals and developing personal working relationships with those individuals who give out your raises.

As far as merit based raises, I see a huge problem with them, either the tasks to get certain raises are easy enough that almost every employee can earn the raise with some effort which the company wouldn't want, or the tasks are so extremely difficult that almost no one can ever get them which the employees won't want.

I am happy that our unionized outside operators are basically what keeps most of management's pay going up every year.

So everyone else basically gets yearly raises of 3-4% a year.

To me this is fair since actually calculating, whose individual efforts contributed to what percentage of company revenue I imagine would be tedious and meaningless effort by the company in my job category and for most job categories within the company.

There is only so much money to go around better to just spread the raises to your own employees relatively evenly.

I am referencing large companies and kind of job categories within a large company that has a lot of employees within that job category. Like being an operator in a refinery or a delivery driver at FedEx

Smaller companies with fewer employees and certain types of jobs where your work is kind of unique within the company can lead to much more control over compensation because you can show your impact to the company's revenues.

Serf

In other words, there are so many other parts involved within the refinery, that one person's ability to dramatically impact that refinery's overall revenue even if they are great at their job is extremely limited, unless you mess up so badly that you cause a catastrophic failure or an environmental violation that costs the company many millions of dollars.
May this age like fine wine. A shiv in the kidney of many. But if nothing else, free based, hardcore truth.

fedex_rtd

I think the question should be, will the step 10...the people that are topped out get a raise this year? Historically the top of range has received a 3% raise.

Will they freeze them at step 10 or give them a 2% or 3% bump? If they give them a bump, then you would expect the company to also raise the pay for the various steps the same percentage.

Will the people in the lower steps move up one step this year?

Will it be a combination of one step up, plus a 2% or 3% bump.

Just remember back in the late 90s the company gave two 3.5% raises each year, so a step increase along with a 2 or 3% bump would be my expectations since the economy is doing well, with a low unemployment rate, and the company has posted good earnings.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I think the question should be, will the step 10...the people that are topped out get a raise this year? Historically the top of range has received a 3% raise.

Will they freeze them at step 10 or give them a 2% or 3% bump? If they give them a bump, then you would expect the company to also raise the pay for the various steps the same percentage.

Just remember back in the late 90s the company gave two 3.5% raises each year, so a step increase along with a 2 or 3% bump would be my expectations since the economy is doing well, with a low unemployment rate, and the company has posted good earnings.
:felloforit1:

Yomama11

I expect nothing from fedex anymore. Every year i expect something to hapen im disappointed with the results. They announced a step program that is said to be a 10 year plan to be topped out, so couriers with 10 years of service expected to be placed toeards the top of the steps. WRONG!!! INSTEAD WE HAVE EMPLOYEES WITH 12 YEARS OF SERVICE AT STEP 2. WHAT A DISGRACE..stop expecting crap from fedex.