This year's raises

dezguy

Once again, nice try. Just tell that to those that have bragged repeatedly that they ask and know what others make and swear they do that because they are looking out for their coworkers best interest. Several on here have made that claim.
I don't recall anyone bragging they ask what others make.

Perhaps you could cite those sources for me?

Oldfart

I don't recall anyone bragging they ask what others make.

Perhaps you could cite those sources for me?
Not worth the trouble. Not on this post but on others many were complaining about their coworkers being underpaid and not being topped out and yada yada. They knew that because they said they asked what others made. Might have been tex or MFE. Don't recall, I just know it was said.

dezguy

Not worth the trouble. Not on this post but on others many were complaining about their coworkers being underpaid and not being topped out and yada yada. They knew that because they said they asked what others made. Might have been tex or MFE. Don't recall, I just know it was said.
If you're not going to back up your statement with proof, you should probably not continue make that statement and proclaim it as truth.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
So every employee should get hired at step 9 or 10?

An employee that started in the 70's should make the same as an employee that started in 2010?

Interesting.

You think a 4 year employee should make $10/hour less than a 25 year employee when they do the same job and the 25 year guy is no better (if not worse) than the 4 year guy?

Oldfart

You think a 4 year employee should make $10/hour less than a 25 year employee when they do the same job and the 25 year guy is no better (if not worse) than the 4 year guy?
I have no idea what a 4 yr employee makes. I looked at the pay scale chart and in few instances was new hire pay even $10 an hour less than top pay. I would figure a 4 year person has got a few raises above what they were hired at.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
:bsbullf:

fedx

Extra Large Package
That's FedEx's fault for having such a large spread from starting pay to top out pay. There should be no more than a $5 difference, not $10. I don't know of any other place that has a $10 difference between starting pay and top out pay. So, FedEx should start people out at $21 or $22 an hour, not $16.

MAKAVELI

That's FedEx's fault for having such a large spread from starting pay to top out pay. There should be no more than a $5 difference, not $10. I don't know of any other place that has a $10 difference between starting pay and top out pay. So, FedEx should start people out at $21 or $22 an hour, not $16.
UPS has a difference of about 16 or $17. It's not necessarily the gap between starting and top but the amount of time it takes to get to the top. UPS drivers top out in 4 years versus a 10-step plan for FedEx.

vantexan

UPS has a difference of about 16 or $17. It's not necessarily the gap between starting and top but the amount of time it takes to get to the top. UPS drivers top out in 4 years versus a 10-step plan for FedEx.
Hard to imagine making up that much difference in four years. A new employee can see real improvement in their quality of life very quickly at that rate.

fdxsux

So every employee should get hired at step 9 or 10?

An employee that started in the 70's should make the same as an employee that started in 2010?

Interesting.
Employees should be hired at starting pay. They should be given a reasonable amount of time (my personal opinion is 5 years) to become proficient at the job during which time they are steadily moving through the range twords top pay. After said amount of time they are topped out. Yes, I do believe someone hired in 2010 should make the same as someone hired in the 70s. What the hell good does it do the company that you were hired in the 70s?

fdxsux

You will not see a step + a percentage. I'm not going to sit and calculate EVERY step increase percentage. But, I'll bet you will not find one under 3%. I'll bet most are 5%. Also, whenever we got raises, top of range USUALLY got 3%. There were a couple of years they got 5%.

If the chart remains the way it is, I will get 5%. Assuming someone hit top last year, a 3% raise will less than mine.
I can see FedEx doing this. If you continue to give the top 3% without raising the other steps you will progressively increase the distance between step 9 and step 10. This will keep the guys on top happy (don't want anyone thinking about a union) without having to pay everyone else that extra 3% unless they stick around till top out. UPS pay progression is something like 10/ hr on their last step.

fedex_rtd

I have no idea what a 4 yr employee makes. I looked at the pay scale chart and in few instances was new hire pay even $10 an hour less than top pay. I would figure a 4 year person has got a few raises above what they were hired at.

Going by your logic, "old fart" the top of range guys will see their pay stagnant i.e. NO RAISE, is this what YOU want to see or experience???

Going by your avatar I'd think you were a :censored2: everyone else over type.

dezguy

Employees should be hired at starting pay. They should be given a reasonable amount of time (my personal opinion is 5 years) to become proficient at the job during which time they are steadily moving through the range twords top pay. After said amount of time they are topped out. Yes, I do believe someone hired in 2010 should make the same as someone hired in the 70s. What the hell good does it do the company that you were hired in the 70s?
Nope. Top out should be 3 years MAX. If you haven't figured out how to be proficient at your job after the first year, someone deserves discipline.

Oldfart

Going by your logic, "old fart" the top of range guys will see their pay stagnant i.e. NO RAISE, is this what YOU want to see or experience???

Going by your avatar I'd think you were a :censored2: everyone else over type.
How so. I was just saying that very seldom is there a time that a topped out employee makes $10 more than any other employee. From reading the chart I saw, the pay MIGHT start out as a $10 difference but because the step increases are close to 5% and the topped out fella MIGHT get 3% this year, there will not be a $10 difference as the original fella suggested. Where did I say that topped out people won't get any raises. I have no idea what is in store for top of range. I am not even topped out as a result of the new program and I have 40+ years.

Oldfart

I can see FedEx doing this. If you continue to give the top 3% without raising the other steps you will progressively increase the distance between step 9 and step 10. This will keep the guys on top happy (don't want anyone thinking about a union) without having to pay everyone else that extra 3% unless they stick around till top out. UPS pay progression is something like 10/ hr on their last step.
Wouldn't step 9 people jump to step 10 even if 10 just received a 3% raise? Kinda curious myself because I am hitting step 10 in Oct myself.

Oldfart

Nope. Top out should be 3 years MAX. If you haven't figured out how to be proficient at your job after the first year, someone deserves discipline.
3 years? LOL Being proficient has nothing to do with it. That theory went away years ago when they quit giving raises based on your review. Along with requiring couriers to pass the Job Knowledge Test. Sure wish they would bring that back so we could unload some DEAD WEIGHT. I have kids that work for Fortune 500 companies and their topout is way longer than 3 years.

Last edited: