Time to bump up that 401k

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Guy saves and does without for 40 years, has giant bank roll. Drops dead, now wife is enjoying the money.

Sheikyrbouti

I just enrolled online for the 401k. Any idea how long it will be before they start taking money? I did 15% to the plan and 5% to Roth. My confusion is which plan to choose.

I just enrolled online for the 401k. Any idea how long it will be before they start taking money? I did 15% to the plan and 5% to Roth. My confusion is which plan to choose.
It usually takes a week or two
The pre-tax will give you a break when you do your income tax. The ROTH doesn't give you a tax break now but it's all tax free when you withd it.

Sheikyrbouti

Young? Hell no! 52 next month and playing catch-up on retirement. What have I gotten myself into I ask? Did Integrad last week and start a training route Tuesday with supervisor.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
It usually takes a week or two
The pre-tax will give you a break when you do your income tax. The ROTH doesn't give you a tax break now but it's all tax free when you withd it.
Traditional means you worry about taxes later. Roth worry about them now.

To me Roth gives a piece of mind that you actually have that much money to spend.

Traditional means you worry about taxes later. Roth worry about them now.

To me Roth gives a piece of mind that you actually have that much money to spend.
I try to play both sides of the fence. When I had write offs and deductions I put more money in the my ROTH because my effective tax rate was very low. Now I put a little more into.tge pre-tax to bring down my taxes in the money that's taxed at the higher rate.

I'm about 55% pre-tax 45% ROTH

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Young? Hell no! 52 next month and playing catch-up on retirement. What have I gotten myself into I ask? Did Integrad last week and start a training route Tuesday with supervisor.
Jeezus man! If you are trying to catch up on retirement and starting this job now, at what age are you planning on retiring? I hope you win the lottery or something so you don't have to go out in a blaze of glory driving your package car off a cliff or into a UPS store.