Time to bump up that 401k

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I'm not sure why you think inflation is so much higher than reported. Every time someone or some business makes a purchase, it's recorded by the seller as revenue. Revenues are listed on a company's balance sheet by law and reflected on their P&L statements. Taxes are paid on the profitability of each business. PPI is factored into a company's P&Ls and the cost of their goods and services reflect that. The increase in wages, capital, raw materials and energy have driven company's PPI to inflationary levels. If we get 10% raises, that only increases all our customers PPI and the chain is never broken. What the Fed is doing has worked in the past to curb the consumer's demand for goods and services. Most inflation/recession cycles last less than a year. If the economy is as strong as they say, we'll start coming out in late 22 or mid 23. Free market capitalism, let it do it's job.
How about stagflation? Different?

Up In Smoke

Because 40+ years ago they changed the way it’s reported to “smooth it out” it just makes it look not as bad as it is.

I mean I thought that was pretty common knowledge.
The CPI has been around since the 1880s, but was formerly established under Woodrow Wilson. It's been revised, updated and adjusted around 40 times since then. The information just becomes more refined and usable. Urban, rural, new, used, Black, White, man and women are just the surface of what these statistics show. Cash businesses still exist, but look at everything you consume in a day and think how many hands your dollars travel through and how many companies have to account for them.

Up In Smoke

How about stagflation? Different?
Yes, much different. Stagflation is inflation, along with high unemployment and low demand for goods and services. A tariff on imports that drives the price up artificially, is an example. Central banks fear continued unemployment and a shrinking economy.

Up In Smoke

Fed President Powell said all the way back in 2018 that the treasury needed to reduce it's balance sheet, sell off it's stake in the mortgage industry and raise short term interest rates. The problem was the economy wasn't strong enough. Too many businesses were refinancing debt instead of paying it down. It was better for their bottom lines to take profit and buy back stock or invest in the same market that the government was injecting with capital. The economy was hooked on that 3 o'clock sugar high and the share holders only cared about themselves. Why pay off your credit card buy eating hamburgers, when you can refinance it and eat steak.

Up In Smoke

I like him and follow him. The headline again, is bigger than the story. He says stagflation is the baseline. He was quoted as saying the Fed was late and too weak when it acted. If the Fed comes too strong now, he said we risk being drug into a recession.

Poop Head

Judge me.
I started ordering ups uniform pants and shorts for my whole family now. If it gets any worse im gonna have to get them shirts too and peel off the logos.
✊💩