Time to bump up that 401k

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Two tiered wage structure, longer progression, contribution toward healthcare premiums, extended use of helpers, increased use of technology for the purposes of discipline, etc.
If you repeat a lie long enough, do you start to believe it as truth?

And you know all this will pass ?

Because you have so much experience in union affairs in your small 30 person hub???

Orion inc.

I like turtles
The most recent data states that it costs about $250K to raise a child from birth to their 18th birthday. That does not include college.

I have a feeling you may be changing your savings strategy, especially if you guys are having a girl.
Do you have a link to back up that statistic?

It's probably way more than that.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The most recent data states that it costs about $250K to raise a child from birth to their 18th birthday. That does not include college.

I have a feeling you may be changing your savings strategy, especially if you guys are having a girl.

So what about 14k year?

My wife's raise next year will almost cover that. I think we will be ok.

Not to mention if I just go to work everyday I'd make about 15-20k more.

Last edited:

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Over 13k a year, pfft. I'd bet a majority of that is medical coverage from birthing to preventative and childcare. Good thing about where we work is no out of pocket premiums and costs don't go up depending on amount of dependents. Another note I'd like to add we have the opportunity to make enough to have your spouse be a stay at home parent for the younger part of the child's life.

I've had to go through paying for 4 kids, 14 being the youngest right now. There is no way I spent over 13k a year in extra expenses for each one.

Then again I know how to to say no, you can't have everything you want.

Over 13k a year, pfft. I'd bet a majority of that is medical coverage from birthing to preventative and childcare. Good thing about where we work is no out of pocket premiums and costs don't go up depending on amount of dependents. Another note I'd like to add we have the opportunity to make enough to have your spouse be a stay at home parent for the younger part of the child's life.

I've had to go through paying for 4 kids, 14 being the youngest right now. There is no way I spent over 13k a year in extra expenses for each one.

Then again I know how to to say no, you can't have everything you want.
I guess they take other things into consideration. If you didn't ha any kids would you have a smaller house or a smaller car?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I can't even imagine how much college will cost
I've got another going next year, average in state college for the schools we're looking at, 18k, that includes room and board. Tuition is around 10k, 80% covered under HOPE scholarship. So yearly out of pocket will be around 10-12k.

I'll be paying for all of her undergrad out of pocket.

I've got another going next year, average in state college for the schools we're looking at, 18k, that includes room and board. Tuition is around 10k, 80% covered under HOPE scholarship. So yearly out of pocket will be around 10-12k.

I'll be paying for all of her undergrad out of pocket.
Wait till you get hit with books and other fees.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I guess they take other things into consideration. If you didn't ha any kids would you have a smaller house or a smaller car?
We live in a 1900 square foot house around worth about 220k and have no debts besides mortgage. We live well below our means considering my wages. It's what allows me to save and provide for my family the way I do. We're also going on a 2 week European vacation next year to celebrate 15 years of marriage.

We live in a 1900 square foot house around worth about 220k and have no debts besides mortgage. We live well below our means considering my wages. It's what allows me to save and provide for my family the way I do. We're also going on a 2 week European vacation next year to celebrate 15 years of marriage.
Too bad some other drivers don't live like that.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
And it increases substantially every year.
Yep, put one through already. Nice thing is once they get a year under their belt they learn dad doesn't pay the same things he did in the first year. They can live off campus after the first year and they'll also be working while going to school, if they want any spending money that is.

Yep, put one through already. Nice thing is once they get a year under their belt they learn dad doesn't pay the same things he did in the first year. They can live off campus after the first year and they'll also be working while going to school, if they want any spending money that is.
I made my kids work. I said no job no driver's license .

I can only give you this advice, save a little more for college than you think that you are going to need. Because you know they are going to need a new computer and printer amongst other things.