To all you youngsters thinking about making UPS a career

wayfair

swollen member
clear.png
Derail x 1

exactly what I expect.... noob

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I've had to adjust the way I do a lot things because of repetitive motions and I've only been driving 2 years. Simple things like squaring up to the bulkhead door every time can stop shoulder pain.

I used to use my left arm to bring the seat belt all the way over to my right side and buckle it. Major shoulder pain came within a few months. I learned to pass it from my left to right arm in one smooth motion, and depending on the vehicle even snag it on the steering wheel when taking it off to save a step (thanks BC).

This is the kind of crap they don't train you on and no one tells you about. You don't figure these things out until the damage is already done.
Actually squaring up to the bulkhead is a method. Technically the method for the seatbelt is reach over with your right hand and come all of the way across. Took me about 2 days to figure out that wasn't gonna fly.

I know we do the same things over and over but I don't see it as a highly repetitive job. We do things 100-200 times a day maybe not 1000 plus like some jobs.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Actually squaring up to the bulkhead is a method. Technically the method for the seatbelt is reach over with your right hand and come all of the way across. Took me about 2 days to figure out that wasn't gonna fly.

I know we do the same things over and over but I don't see it as a highly repetitive job. We do things 100-200 times a day maybe not 1000 plus like some jobs.
There's lots of things they don't train new drivers to do that they should. I got two days with a clueless on car that was annoyed she had to be there. Didn't have another person on my car for over a year. I learned a lot of stuff the hard way.

Over 70

How fast does he run?

An article on running made the point "fat people dont burn enough calories to slim down running a 40 minute mile" so I would wonder how hard (or not hard) this guy runs. Slower run equals less wear and tear

Fast enough to have decent marathon finishes..... although he doesn't do as many marathons anymore and when he does he said he's slowed down a lot and just does them more to spend time with his son who's an avid runner.

JackStraw

Driver just retired in my center after 30 in package. I was talking with the DM and he agreed that we won't see anyone do this in the future. So congrats to you friend.

The Driver

I drive.
I gave up getting drunk.
I try to get 8 hours a night.
I changed my diet to mostly vegetarian years ago.
I focus on the good.
I never got married.

I'm feeling pretty good so far.