Full time or Cover driver?

• Total voters
I have the opportunity to either go full time or cover drive in my hub. Here is my situation and any advice is so appreciated. I am turning 40 this year, married and have two young kids. I also have been doing photography for the past 14 years as a full time business. It has slowed down the past few years with everyone taking photos. Been loading for the past 2 years and just came back from passing school. I was not anticipating the chance of being a full time driver but they told me that I am second in line. There are so many pros and cons of each. Trying to look at it from many angles and thought I might can get some input from you guys. Of course the ultimate decision will come down to me and my wife. Thank you!

Every cover driver I've met is miserable from being yanked around a lot and sometimes going out blind. Most FT drivers I've talked to are miserable from the hours but have money falling out their bums. Nobody has any respect for cover drivers for some reason. At my center anyway. At least FT is guaranteed work.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
If you need to make good money, then do it. If your wife makes a decent living and you can get by, then don't. You already have the benefits, and part time pension. Time isn't on your side to go for the full time pension. It is a pretty miserable existence.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
In my local they are one in the same. Low senority drivers cover what's needed. We call these "split drivers".

Box Ox

In my local they are one in the same. Low senority drivers cover what's needed. We call these "split drivers".

In mine, Temporary Cover Drivers can run June 1-January 15 as needed. Then back to their PT shift or outside job if not a permanent part timer. Newer FT drivers are referred to as "cover" drivers and run splits only because they don't have enough seniority to win a bid route.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
In mine, Temporary Cover Drivers can run June 1-January 15 as needed. Then back to their PT shift or outside job if not a permanent part timer. Newer FT drivers are referred to as "cover" drivers and run splits only because they don't have enough seniority to win a bid route.
Our temps are called casuals, and they are all hired from the outside. They are fired once peak is over.

Box Ox

Cover first. Make book, then get red circled at cover rate 28hr and go full time.

This was my route, and it worked out well for me.

BUT, if one skips FT now, they might not get another shot at it until after the next contract is in effect. Which might include giveaways on FT progression or even a second, lower pay tier for new FT hires effective 8-1-2018.

RuthlessSupSlayer

This was my route, and it worked out well for me.

BUT, if one skips FT now, they might not get another shot at it until after the next contract is in effect. Which might include giveaways on FT progression or even a second, lower pay tier for new FT hires effective 8-1-2018.
Thats why i went striaght to full time because its going to tough moving forward

Hellobrown2000

I have the opportunity to either go full time or cover drive in my hub. Here is my situation and any advice is so appreciated. I am turning 40 this year, married and have two young kids. I also have been doing photography for the past 14 years as a full time business. It has slowed down the past few years with everyone taking photos. Been loading for the past 2 years and just came back from passing school. I was not anticipating the chance of being a full time driver but they told me that I am second in line. There are so many pros and cons of each. Trying to look at it from many angles and thought I might can get some input from you guys. Of course the ultimate decision will come down to me and my wife. Thank you!
Where

Faceplanted

This is what I am contemplating doing. I have 11 years PT. Good idea or no?
Best idea. Company is growing like crazy right now. Cover drive, get locked in at 28hr then get red circled. With 11 years p/t you will be damn near top if not the top of the pool being cover drivers trying to go full time.