To go Full time or Cover Driver?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by msstatedawg, Jul 27, 2017.

?

Full time or Cover driver?

1. Full Time

75.0%
  2. Cover Driver

25.0%
  1. msstatedawg

msstatedawg New Member

I have the opportunity to either go full time or cover drive in my hub. Here is my situation and any advice is so appreciated. I am turning 40 this year, married and have two young kids. I also have been doing photography for the past 14 years as a full time business. It has slowed down the past few years with everyone taking photos. Been loading for the past 2 years and just came back from passing school. I was not anticipating the chance of being a full time driver but they told me that I am second in line. There are so many pros and cons of each. Trying to look at it from many angles and thought I might can get some input from you guys. Of course the ultimate decision will come down to me and my wife. Thank you!

2. Box Ox

Box Ox ♞▀▄▀▄♝▀▄

Ask her if she and the kids would ever like to see you again and take it from there.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  3. Big Package

Big Package The Smuggle is Real

Every cover driver I've met is miserable from being yanked around a lot and sometimes going out blind. Most FT drivers I've talked to are miserable from the hours but have money falling out their bums. Nobody has any respect for cover drivers for some reason. At my center anyway. At least FT is guaranteed work.

4. StoptheAct1212

StoptheAct1212 Active Member

Dont do it. Enjoy your life.

5. MyTripisCut

MyTripisCut Wake Up!

If you need to make good money, then do it. If your wife makes a decent living and you can get by, then don't. You already have the benefits, and part time pension. Time isn't on your side to go for the full time pension. It is a pretty miserable existence.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  6. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

In my local they are one in the same. Low senority drivers cover what's needed. We call these "split drivers".

7. Box Ox

Box Ox ♞▀▄▀▄♝▀▄

In mine, Temporary Cover Drivers can run June 1-January 15 as needed. Then back to their PT shift or outside job if not a permanent part timer. Newer FT drivers are referred to as "cover" drivers and run splits only because they don't have enough seniority to win a bid route.

8. Wally

Our temps are called casuals, and they are all hired from the outside. They are fired once peak is over.

9. Faceplanted

Faceplanted Well-Known Member

Cover first. Make book, then get red circled at cover rate 28hr and go full time.

10. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

How much to take a professional photo of my dog?

11. Box Ox

Box Ox ♞▀▄▀▄♝▀▄

This was my route, and it worked out well for me.

BUT, if one skips FT now, they might not get another shot at it until after the next contract is in effect. Which might include giveaways on FT progression or even a second, lower pay tier for new FT hires effective 8-1-2018.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  12. Wally

Leave the poor dog alone.

13. RuthlessSupSlayer

RuthlessSupSlayer Active Member

Thats why i went striaght to full time because its going to tough moving forward

14. Faceplanted

Kudos to you guys. I would never drive for 18 bucks and hour for my first 4 years.

15. Brisket

Brisket Active Member

It's for the first year. Then goes up.

16. box-man

box-man New Member

This is what I am contemplating doing. I have 11 years PT. Good idea or no?

17. Hellobrown2000

Hellobrown2000 Active Member

Where

18. Faceplanted

Best idea. Company is growing like crazy right now. Cover drive, get locked in at 28hr then get red circled. With 11 years p/t you will be damn near top if not the top of the pool being cover drivers trying to go full time.

19. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Thank god finally I can get some alone time with her.

20. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Go full time as soon as you get the chance.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List