Full time or Cover driver?

• Total voters

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
This was my route, and it worked out well for me.

BUT, if one skips FT now, they might not get another shot at it until after the next contract is in effect. Which might include giveaways on FT progression or even a second, lower pay tier for new FT hires effective 8-1-2018.
You never know what might happen. Good friend of mine had about 6 months seniority on me. Passed up FT because he had one year of school left. We hired a lot of drivers that summer and then the recession hit. I have over 4 years FT seniority on him now.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
We have had multiple cover drivers go back to their PT inside jobs by choice because they got tired of the FT BS. If you're good on money, I don't know why you'd even PT cover driver personally. If you're looking to make some bank, go FT and kiss your family nights goodbye.

box-man

You never know what might happen. Good friend of mine had about 6 months seniority on me. Passed up FT because he had one year of school left. We hired a lot of drivers that summer and then the recession hit. I have over 4 years FT seniority on him now.
That's scary but I think I'm going to chance it. My high PT seniority puts me near the top if not the top of the list. Would rather start FT $10/hour richer.

barnyard

KTM rider
Our center has "Full Time Cover Driver" bids up. Worse of both worlds?

Not sure if that means you are FT, just unassigned or only work when needed. I was FT unassigned for 15 years. Just signed a bid for my own route and am kind of regretting it.

Maplewood

Some pros to going full time now:

Good chance drivers hired after Aug 1 can be forced to work Sundays for straight time.

In the West full timers qualify for retirement 2 years earlier and get higher hourly pension rate.

UPS has been intentionally using alot of scab/subcontracted feeder drivers just because they can't replace pkg car drivers if they go feeder. This is supposed to be addressed immediately so you may rise quite quickly in the next couple years. My local traditionally sends 6 or so guys into feeder each year. This year Feeder is asking for 36 and the pkg car centers are in a bind to try to get new drivers. They are basically lowering there standards for the pkg driver job instead of raising compensation right now.

JL 0513

No such thing as P/T drivers in my local except air drivers. All cover driver's, like myself (by choice), are FT.

Weird someone said cover driver's get no respect. CD's have the same status in my local. We have guys with 10 years driving who stay cover for personal preference. I could've bid a route years ago buy I haven't. Never miss a day either.

UPSEric1

In Local 804, we don't have any part time "Cover Driver". The only part time are Air Drivers/ Air Walkers. The Cover Drivers are unassigned Drivers that bid on vacation, comp/disability, call out, split routes, or walk cover on daily bases and is guarantee 8 hours work.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
If your locals cover drivers as well as route drivers are all "FT" and not "TCD", I would definitely bid a route, until having 3-5 years seniority, then maybe bounce over to cover driver.

I looked at our locals bid lists in many buildings and maybe 12 or 14 centers, and I would be near top of the seniority list for all centers. 12 years FT seniority. There is no reason to bid a route and be near the bottom of the list, and stuck on a hood or heavy industrial ball-buster route, unless it was very early on.

UPSEric1

Once you bid for a route, you can't get off the bid route unless there is another route open. Usually the Cover Driver stay in our center prefer being bid drivers because they can't blame you for the numbers.

Jdubjr

Best idea. Company is growing like crazy right now. Cover drive, get locked in at 28hr then get red circled. With 11 years p/t you will be damn near top if not the top of the pool being cover drivers trying to go full time.
What if they never once put up a bid sheet for cover driver, just pt to ft bid, and use cover drivers from other centers? I guess the company is trying to save 11 buck/ hr! Is this a legit grievance?

Bigfoot11

Don't listen to these whiners. Guys saying it's a miserable job and what not. Some days suck, some days dont. I think you know what you want to do. Either way, dont let these guys bitching cloud your judgement. Good luck man.

COOP1X

In mine, Temporary Cover Drivers can run June 1-January 15 as needed. Then back to their PT shift or outside job if not a permanent part timer. Newer FT drivers are referred to as "cover" drivers and run splits only because they don't have enough seniority to win a bid route.
FT still guaranteed that 8 hrs though right even though they run spilt routes?

Shiftless

I have the opportunity to either go full time or cover drive in my hub. Here is my situation and any advice is so appreciated. I am turning 40 this year, married and have two young kids. I also have been doing photography for the past 14 years as a full time business. It has slowed down the past few years with everyone taking photos. Been loading for the past 2 years and just came back from passing school. I was not anticipating the chance of being a full time driver but they told me that I am second in line. There are so many pros and cons of each. Trying to look at it from many angles and thought I might can get some input from you guys. Of course the ultimate decision will come down to me and my wife. Thank you!
Loader? Trailers or Package car?

I can guarantee you that if you were a pkg car loader and start driving you will get a first hand appreciation of a real good loader!

Also you are 40 years old. You aint gettin younger so now or never I say! Or better yet, enjoy your Caddilac part time (t'm guessing u r part time) health insurance and do something different than this!!!

When you really start to drive and deal with all the B S and self inflicted pressure you will understand those that said "DONT DO IT!"

Sure you can physically load something. Being a driver is so much more than being a good loader. Driving a package car off UPS property and doing a days work will be a GIANT wake up call. I MEAN GIANT!

Good Luck with your choice

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I have the opportunity to either go full time or cover drive in my hub. Here is my situation and any advice is so appreciated. I am turning 40 this year, married and have two young kids. I also have been doing photography for the past 14 years as a full time business. It has slowed down the past few years with everyone taking photos. Been loading for the past 2 years and just came back from passing school. I was not anticipating the chance of being a full time driver but they told me that I am second in line. There are so many pros and cons of each. Trying to look at it from many angles and thought I might can get some input from you guys. Of course the ultimate decision will come down to me and my wife. Thank you!
Go full time, make as much money as you possibly can in the next 15 years
Then run outta their like your ass is on fire and never look back