Transgender

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What does your private life have to do with work? How would work even know?

I would imagine that going through this process would require numerous medical procedures with follow-up visits which would require missing a lot of time from work. I would further imagine that there would be an emotional transition as well which may also result in lost time. I don't have the slightest clue what would be involved with a transgender transition but I am sure it is not quite as simple as taking off the Carhartt's and putting on Versace.

Nimnim

The Nim
Does UPS five people that are going through transition and hard time? That is when transgender people are in transition.

UPS doesn't care as long as you show up to work. The issues would start if there's excessive time off or possible bathroom issues if other employees complain. At least in my facility there is a ground floor single person unisex bathroom that is usually used for people with a handicap, if that one is used there's no issue aside from potential excessive time off.

I'm just saying don't be so close minded. If you run out of options some day you might need to think outside the box, so to speak.

lonemaker

It is more then just a choice to change ones sex. It is a every deep and personal issue to have to go through. Myself like all transgender people have to put up with every closed minded and hostel people and have to worry about weather or nor we will be fired because of what we are and how the world see use.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
It is more then just a choice to change ones sex. It is a every deep and personal issue to have to go through. Myself like all transgender people have to put up with every closed minded and hostel people and have to worry about weather or nor we will be fired because of what we are and how the world see use.
You deal with this stuff because u CHOOSE to change your gender. Sorry but I feel like pretty much all transgender ppl are are gay people that don't want to be gay. So they feel like having a sex change changes that somehow.

Like ken I said this will fall under FMLA. Check it out.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I would imagine that going through this process would require numerous medical procedures with follow-up visits which would require missing a lot of time from work. I would further imagine that there would be an emotional transition as well which may also result in lost time. I don't have the slightest clue what would be involved with a transgender transition but I am sure it is not quite as simple as taking off the Carhartt's and putting on Versace.

From my (limited) understanding of the process, most gender reassignment doctors (the actual surgeons) require extensive therapy sessions over a period of time to make sure reassignment is what the person really wants/needs and I don't think it'd be an issue for said employee to be written out of work/qualify for short-term disability.

One should be so lucky to have UPS fire them because of being transgender.

You'll never change the wrong type of persons mind. Just do your best to be the best person you can and the right people will find you.