Trouble brewing in chicago!

satellitedriver

I've said it before-- it depends on which local you retire out of. I'm covered under Central States and it cost me $100 a month (not each) for both the wife and me. (knock on wood)
Rod,
You are "grandfathered", ( no old man joke intended), well maybe.
For those of us that will retire in the future, under Central States, it will cost $200 a pop for each person covered.
These are today's numbers and will probably increase over time.

rod

Retired 22 years
Rod,
You are "grandfathered", ( no old man joke intended), well maybe.
For those of us that will retire in the future, under Central States, it will cost $200 a pop for each person covered.
These are today's numbers and will probably increase over time.

A friend of mine just retired Nov. 24, 08 and I'm sure he pays the same as me. I will double check with him (if I remember) tomorrow

Red Dawn

contract...you obliviously haven't seen what ups is doing to its article 22.3 employees! lol..court ruling or not.
But im with ya!! if you let them go out side of a binding contract with out talks..then they deserved what they get!

REALADVOCATE

Folks,

It didn't take long for this to be exposed on a national level? Some of us haven't even received the letter from UPS yet? Imagine what will play out in a short period of time with the UPS/Teamster Pension Plan after UPS paid the withdrawal liability to the Central States Pension Fund?

I feel 705RED could have gone into more detail with regard to the reason this Labor guy, D******* at UPS did this. However, he has exposed the heinous Dark Side Of Brown once more. Mr. D******* sure gets around? I also understand he is the only man to hear grievances for a particular Brother out of the Sharonville Hub, in OH. I'll bet a lot of you folks know about Mr. D******* and could relate to some other fine examples of his marvelous work?

In any case, Mr. P****** is doing the right thing and I'm extremely proud and confident he will prevail. There are other aspects of this issue that makes it illegal under ERISA and Labor Law? I don't believe Brown thought this one through. They may have the finest attorneys money can buy, but they are still attorneys who know how to generate more billable hours.

Granted, the $50.00 monthly premium for retirees of Local 705, was a token payment and not in line with present day medical costs. This token payment was determined many, many, years ago and agreed to in each succeeding CBA, and when the present CBA was negotiated back in July of 2008, after Mr. D******* was removed and a corporate representative came to Chicago at the last minute to make sure an agreement was reached. I wonder if that is the ulterior motive for Mr. D*******'s latest deplorable action? Nah.... UPS management doesn't attempt to retaliate, violate their code of conduct, or do other unscrupulous things do they?

This 300% to 800% increase is not equitable, and will definitely have a devastating effect on a great many UPS Retirees. What effect will it have on our Brothers and Sisters with 15, 20, 25 years and working towards retirement? I personally have not seen the 5500 forms that would show that the average benefits paid out is over $6,250.00, per participant as stipulated in the SPD? Besides, it is also my understanding that Local 705 wasn't notified of these increases even though UPS is/was obligated to do so, and actually show the Union how these exorbitant numbers were calculated?

There is/was according to Plan Documents in my possession over sixty (60) other Locals in this plan, as well as designated non-union retirees of UPS employed at one of their related enterprises? How many other Locals in the Plan are receiving the same increases proportionate to the $6,250.00 average per participant?

Bottom line is how many Teamster Locals would go to bat for their retirees. Its been my observance that after the UMWU, and the Auto Workers Union, no other union has taken stock of retiree issues let alone represent them once they are retired.

With all due respect to those UPS 705 retirees, I would humbly suggest you make these ludicrous new premium payments because if you don't, and you get dropped for non-payment, it will be extremely difficult to get your coverage reinstated after the fact. After this mess gets straightened out, the Brown Behemoth will have paid a huge number of dollars that could have increased their bottom line?

Oh yeah, Brown attempted to do the same thing to 705 retirees in 2007. The increase then for every retiree was to be increased to $137 + dollars. After Mr. Pocztowski stepped in Brown sent another letter stating the first letter was a mistake. Its curious that in that short time frame between then and now Brown tried to increase the premiums from a little under 300% for everyone, to from 300% to 800% for various participants? Go figure???

As an aside, I sure wouldn't want to be in Mr. D*******'s shoes when the dust settles?

Kudos to IBT Local 705, and Mr. P******.....

Douglas Page Chapman Sr
6619 Dralle Road
Monee, IL 60449-9431
708-534-0490-Home
Advocate PUPS Inc & NABER Inc [email protected]http://pupsinc.homestead.com/naber1.html
36-1/2 years member in good standing IBT Locals 705 & 710. Over 60 years experience UPS/BROWN, 30 years an employee, 18+ years when Dad was an employee, and retired Teamster 13 + years

This post has been edited by Cheryl to remove all full names posted.

Last edited by a moderator:

705red

Browncafe Steward
Is there ever a time when there isn't trouble in Chicago?

Okay, I don't agree with increasing any costs to employees or retirees during these difficult times, but let me get this straight

Ups can not raise these benefits with out negotiating with the union first!

Last Week - They sent out letters
Today - You sent a letter requesting an immediate response
Next Week - You are taking a strike authorization if you don't have a response

There will be no strike authorization if it happens, after the ulp is filed a 72 hour notice is sent to ups and 1 minute after that 72 hour notice is up its possible that lines could be put up across chicago.

So I'm lost, how is Atlanta letting issues get to this point? They just sent out a letter, isn't it the 705 that's taking this out of context and control? Who is opening their mail and a week later threatening to strike?

So do you expect us to believe that atlanta is not aware of what labor in chicago is doing? After the contract were atlanta had to come in and take over for the area labor manager, they still allow him to carry on with his ways here.

Atlanta is aware of everything, because every email, fax etc also gets sent to atlanta that is sent to labor here.

As of feb 1st the retiree's now have to fork out this unexpected increase, some can no afford this and will do with out medical and prescriptions. I ask you what is right? We will strike to preserve what we have now!

Red, I have a feeling if they took away a ply of your toilet paper you'd threaten to strike.

Im glad that you can make an attempt at humor when we have a serious issue. But understanding that you are a puppet with no abilites to think on your own, its sort of what i have come to expect from you!

What was the time frame on the change in benefits? That's the same time frame that you have to give the company, It has to be tit-for-tat as far as the time allowed for response goes.

When the company violates a cba, you do not show respect, you give them the same respect they had to violating the contract!

705red

Browncafe Steward
In these economic times, a strike would possibly the dumbest thing any union could do. Not only would it be a public relations disaster, but in tight times, it would be handing business to the competition.

So what would you do? Allow the retiree's to go without medical if they couldnt afford it?

Could you sleep at night knowing that "jimmy" died because he couldnt afford his blood pressure medicine because ups violated an existing agreemsnt? If a strike happens, poiint the finger at ups!

I am glad that I am not a 705 member.....

Me two! Maybe you and new england can start your own union! The girl scouts name has already been taken!
TB

FAVREFAN

I can't believe the lack of support you are getting here Red. My buddy is a retired 705 guy with 30 years. He was paying $50 per month for himself and $50 per month for his wife. So that would go to $300 and $300? $600 a month? I could see if maybe it was negotiated during the contract, like it's supposed to be done, and it went to say $150 per person. That would be fair. But this is out of the blue, outside of the contract. I can't believe these guys in here would be fine with paying $600 per month for themselves and their wives. Yeah, where are their spines? It's no different than the company saying, oh, by the way, here's a letter saying you're not getting $28.90 per/hr to drive anymore, we're making that $19 p/hr now. What the f_ck? We get weaker and weaker. I don't see this union making it another 20 years with the way the National,BA's,Stewards and employees cave in on everything. You want to hear something ironic? IF you are a non-Upser and you were married before and had children and got divorced.....ok.......and then decided you wanted to remarry to a same sex partner that worked at UPS. You know that UPS will cover those children in full? Yet our retirees, who busted their a_ses working for this company for 30 years have to pay $600 per couple?
I have to stop I'm so pissed off.......I'm with you Red. you have my support on this. This has to be stopped, you can't sign a deal and then change it. I agree with most, $50 is way low. But why wasn't this negotiated 6 months ago?

brownman15

we cannot forgot the people that worked before us we would not have a job without them. that is like forgetting the people who fought for this country.

sano

we cannot forgot the people that worked before us we would not have a job without them. that is like forgetting the people who fought for this country.
It is because they depend on us that it would be unwise to talk strike now.
Crying wolf doesn't benefit anybody over the long term

brownman15

It is because they depend on us that it would be unwise to talk strike now.
Crying wolf doesn't benefit anybody over the long term

so u would rather have ups break the cba. if we let them get away with that what is 2 stop them from other violations

sano

so u would rather have ups break the cba. if we let them get away with that what is 2 stop them from other violations
Why is striking always in the first comments? There are more ways to work through issues than strike.
Think about it. What if every time my wife and I had a little disagreement I would threaten to separate? How smooth would the relationship be?
In another thread the question was asked "Why does UPS hate their employees?" Well as long as the Teamsters first response is to pull out the strike card we will not have good working relationship with the company.

It almost seems like insecurity or an inferiority complex on the part of the union. Do we have no confidence in our ability to sit down and negotiate and work through other avenues.
I get tired of the overacting every time something happens.

local804

People always seem to have something to say about any move a union makes. If it was the posters that it affected, I am sure the poster would have looked at it in a total different perspective.Give the powerhouse an inch and they will take a mile.

tieguy

Banned
Last week ups sent out letters to all of our retiree's raising their medical coverage from $50 per dependant to $300 per. The problem here is that at no time during negotiations did ups discuss any changes to the retiree medical as in raising the deductible.

As of today ups has been sent a letter to resolve this within the next 24 hours or teamsters local 705 will be filing a federal lawsuit against ups, a unfair labor practice charge and after the ulp if filed a 72 hour notice to strike will be sent to ups. Its quite possible that a work stoppage would happen in chicago as early as the middle of next week.

I just do not understand how atlanta allows these issues here in chicago to get to this point. Labor here just shows a total disregard for the contract and more importantly the retirees who have served this company for enough years to be able to retire.

Now they expect a retiree whos pension is lets say $3,000 a month and who has himself and wife with one child covered to fork out $900. Thats a third of his pension on an already fixed income!

Way to take care of your people ups! Please show some respect for the past employees, or its quite possible us current employees will have to earn that respect for them!

ups controls your medical benifits?

why would a retiree have a dependent child?

Finishing two threads here with little valid dialogue.

what reasons were given. what is the condition of the plan itself. why wouldn't your union review the finances behind the decision first before pushing the panic button again?

are there any federal laws in play that are forcing this action?

who administers the plan?

Last edited:

New Englander

so u would rather let ups violate the cba at will and do nothing about it maybe u should work for a non-union company were u have very little rights

I prefer to pay my bills, kids karate tuition, take them to the movies. The youngest's preschool and put food on the table while keeping the house warm.

Take your threat of strike and stick it somewhere.