Trouble brewing in chicago!

trickpony1

If there were part time routes where 1 person went out for 4 or 5 hours and then another came and finished up, what would keep the first person from "laying down" and leaving most of the work for the second person?

The same thing that keeps drivers from "laying down" now:

GPS, DIAD, OAO, OJS, Lock in rides..........Big Brother

redshift1

The teamsters have conferences all over the country, therefore, the retiree benefits differ across the county. Ideally, the retiree benefits would be the same across the board, but they are not.

Anyone who thinks UPS paid 6 billion to pull out of Central States, to provide benefits for UPS retirees only, which was in serious trouble financially, and is not trying to recoup some of the monies, doesn't understand the business world.

The comment was made by 705 Red, that this was not negotiated during the contract process. Unless he was part of the negotiating committee, how does he know that? Did 705 say that now that the increase has been sent out to the retirees?

Local 705 and 710 have always prided themselves on not being part of the National negotiations. Well maybe the negotiations were done on a National level with Hoffa and his staff, unbeknowst to the 705. It is a politcal world out there.

And if Local 705 feels a strike is in order, then UPS might as well pull out of the Chicagoland area, as this would be damaging not only to our customers, but our union employees, as well.

UPS and the Union have always negotiated in the best interest of both organizations, as both have responsiblities to the union workers.

There have been posts noting that active Union employees have better benefits than non union employees at UPS. As non union employees have to pay for their benefits. However, we have accrued DDB's ( defined dollar benefits) over the years for our retirement benefits. Depending on your length of service and what you accrued over the years, depends on what your retired benefits will cost you. So far, I have not met any retiree who has any out of pocket expense, except for co-pays.

So maybe it's time for the union retirees to pay for their benefits that they have received at minimal cost over the years?

Everyone should plan on paying for benefits, unless our new leader Barack Obama comes though with his campaign promise for affordable health care for every American, well then plan on your taxes going up. Tough world out there, times are a changing, and we're not living in our grandparents or parents world anymore. JMO

Very nice.

rod

Retired 22 years
So maybe it's time for the union retirees to pay for their benefits that they have received at minimal cost over the years?

Easy for you to say. I'll bet you have even had some raises over the last few years - personally I still live off the same amount I did 7 years ago when I retired so I don't need anymore expenses.

tieguy

Banned
Red,
this issue seems to be another siign that your current leadership does not know what they are doing.

It looks like this is something your leadership should have discussed during the contract talks and locked down.

Now that they goofed they want to accuse UPS of dirty pool and threaten a strike again.

A strike threat loses its power if you make one every month.

jmho

brownman15

Red,
this issue seems to be another siign that your current leadership does not know what they are doing.

It looks like this is something your leadership should have discussed during the contract talks and locked down.

Now that they goofed they want to accuse UPS of dirty pool and threaten a strike again.

A strike threat loses its power if you make one every month.

jmho

this was discussed during negotiations and ups said no changes.

Channahon

Rod,

No retirement pay increases for me, until I turn 62 and apply for Social Security benefits, which hopefully will be there.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
we were told we had to pay 890 a quarter for our helath ins. (for 2 people) this month we were told it is up to 1,079. they are just trying to get all the retirees to leave the ups ins and get thier own.

$1079 a quarter? I'm wondering if getting your own insurance isn't such a bad thing at this point. It wouldn't hurt to compare prices even when it was at $890.

Even though I'm a long way from retiring, I cannot fathom what UPS is trying to do by "extorting" these exorbitant payments by the very people who built the foundation of what Brown is today.

If UPS gets away with this tactic who knows whats in store for your future and your fellow co-workers? Remember this is not a rumor, as stated UPS has already sent out letters. so they've already had this in the hopper for quite awhile.

As far as the strike is concerned keep that card in the back pocket until you see the reaction of your response. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Blackbox, your own health ins. can cost you $1000 a month (for the couple) and will go up every 6 months......that's been our experience for the past 8 years.

705red

Browncafe Steward
It is because they depend on us that it would be unwise to talk strike now.
Crying wolf doesn't benefit anybody over the long term
There is no crying wolf here! The retirees have to make their payments by Feb 1st or let their insurance run out. Many retiree's especially the older one's receive far less monthly than what some of us would retire with today.

Going through the court system will take months if not years to correct this wrong. How many retiree's are you willing to watch die because they can not afford health care?

705red

Browncafe Steward
Why is striking always in the first comments? There are more ways to work through issues than strike.
Think about it. What if every time my wife and I had a little disagreement I would threaten to separate? How smooth would the relationship be?
In another thread the question was asked "Why does UPS hate their employees?" Well as long as the Teamsters first response is to pull out the strike card we will not have good working relationship with the company.

It almost seems like insecurity or an inferiority complex on the part of the union. Do we have no confidence in our ability to sit down and negotiate and work through other avenues.
I get tired of the overacting every time something happens.
Exactly how long have you been a ups employeee? Read my above post!

705red

Browncafe Steward
ups controls your medical benifits?

My medical is through ups. Is it different by you?

why would a retiree have a dependent child?

25 and out pension? People are reitring a lot youger now with kids because they started their families a little later in life. Just beacuse management has to work until their in their late 50's doesnt mean a union employee that started at the age of 18 does.

Finishing two threads here with little valid dialogue.

what reasons were given. what is the condition of the plan itself. why wouldn't your union review the finances behind the decision first before pushing the panic button again?

Tie maybe in your neck of the woods ups uses reason here they do not! Ups dpes what it wants when it wants! Ups failed to negotiate these changes during contract talks, and out of the blue they raised the rates to were most retiree's can not afford to pay for it.

are there any federal laws in play that are forcing this action?

who administers the plan?

Tie by the time we got done with ups here on this one, going through the court system and in the media even norman black wont be able to put a positive spin on it!

705red

Browncafe Steward
I prefer to pay my bills, kids karate tuition, take them to the movies. The youngest's preschool and put food on the table while keeping the house warm.

All while sticking ***********the brothers and sisters that came before you. You know the ones that didn't make a great wage like we do today, but we make it because they didn't sell the future out. But you want to sell out our past! **************

Take your threat of strike and stick it somewhere.

Look the stem cell must be working! I sense you are growing a little back bone!

I just hope one day that ups doesn't decide to take away your medical out of the blue and one of your kids needs a life saving surgery! Sucks when the shoe is on the other foot! Doesnt it?

Last edited by a moderator:

atatbl

Judging SOLELY from what I have seen on browncafe, 705's union leadership must be the most incompetent staff the world has ever seen.

I really hope there is more going on there than grievances about vending machines and other things people should not be concerned with.

This health insurance issue sounds serious, but unfortunately, it's the same union leading the charge that cries wolf AT LEAST once every six months.

My best wishes to the people that this actually affects.... not to the current 'failures of amicability' that are fighting for them.

Last edited:

705red

Browncafe Steward
The teamsters have conferences all over the country, therefore, the retiree benefits differ across the county. Ideally, the retiree benefits would be the same across the board, but they are not.

Anyone who thinks UPS paid 6 billion to pull out of Central States, to provide benefits for UPS retirees only, which was in serious trouble financially, and is not trying to recoup some of the monies, doesn't understand the business world.

Ups will save millions over the life of this contract than they would off spent paying in to the cs plan. Ups has also agreed to a contract that runs through Aug of the year 2013, i think its ups that doesn't understand!

The comment was made by 705 Red, that this was not negotiated during the contract process. Unless he was part of the negotiating committee, how does he know that? Did 705 say that now that the increase has been sent out to the retirees?

Yes i was on the negotiating committee! And yea the letters have been sent out to the retirees, their money is due Feb 1st or their benefits will expire. That is one week from today.

Local 705 and 710 have always prided themselves on not being part of the National negotiations. Well maybe the negotiations were done on a National level with Hoffa and his staff, unbeknowst to the 705. It is a politcal world out there.

Especially take pride because our contract language that was changed was far better than what the national received under hoffa and his cronies!

And if Local 705 feels a strike is in order, then UPS might as well pull out of the Chicagoland area, as this would be damaging not only to our customers, but our union employees, as well.

If 705 feels a strike is in order, maybe its because ups has shown a total lack of respect for the contract that they have agreed to honor and work under for the next 5 years! 705 is not asking for anything outside of the contract and has agreed to live under this contract, its ups that is violating the contract.

There you go with the pull out of Chicago line again! You would expect us to lay down and watch our retiree's suffer because ups has failed to put some one competent in charge to run the Chicago area!

Chicago area brings in a very large part of ups's revenue, and we are still so busy were with the workload, that we are not affected by any lay offs! Drivers are still working over 9.5 and we have extra routes in on a daily basis!

UPS and the Union have always negotiated in the best interest of both organizations, as both have responsiblities to the union workers.

Under hoffa the contracts have favored ups more than the working man/woman! And still hoffa is changing already negotiated language, as in the new 9.5 that has been altered to fit ups's liking!

There have been posts noting that active Union employees have better benefits than non union employees at UPS. As non union employees have to pay for their benefits. However, we have accrued DDB's ( defined dollar benefits) over the years for our retirement benefits. Depending on your length of service and what you accrued over the years, depends on what your retired benefits will cost you. So far, I have not met any retiree who has any out of pocket expense, except for co-pays.

Come to Chicago, and meet with families of retiree's that are scrambling with little notice of such a huge change.

Ups had their chance to negotiate, now maybe it was lack of planning, a little incompetence on ups committee part, but you do not raise it that much unannounced!

Everyone should plan on paying for benefits, unless our new leader Barack Obama comes though with his campaign promise for affordable health care for every American, well then plan on your taxes going up. Tough world out there, times are a changing, and we're not living in our grandparents or parents world anymore. JMO

Our secretary treasurer is a good friend of barack, who knows maybe barack will even walk the line with us over this!:happy-very:

atatbl

Easy everyone. Keep it civil, please.

I did. This really does suck for the people that is screws over.

However, people being incompetent is part of life. I don't think it's over the line, it's reality. Furthermore, it's professional terminology.

This union's leadership has done NOTHING other unions don't do. They scream that they fought for a better package. A team of high school valedictorians could have negotiated the same package they got without ever whining, sniveling, crying, and demanding like teenage girls. The power of this negotiation was that is was separate from the rest. This is not the seventh wonder of the world. It's common sense.

These people are actually unintelligent enough to throw around the term 'strike' right now. The union's counterargument to how impossibly horrible this idea is goes as follows: "Every time there is threat of a strike people say the economy makes it a bad idea." Well this time..... they are right. It is a bad idea.

If for no other reason than to save bandwidth on browncafe (as if that an issue with today's technology :happy-very:), I for one hope they do strike. What follows is sure to be beautiful. Scratch that......... it will be Darwinism at it's best. Unfortunately, the consequences will not be ridding them from the gene pool, but instead only losing their jobs.

Before anyone calls me a heartless bastard, understand this. There would not be massive job loss. Families of innocent children WILL NOT die of starvation. Don't fall for that crap. Quite the contrary. Only the weak-minded that need a 'borg mentatily' would leave the company. You see, the economy actually DOES make it impossible for most to strike. When 95% of your union crosses your 'unevolved line'.. I'm sorry, I mean 'picket line', they won't be scabs to anyone that matters. Only the foolsish 5% will call them that..... Of course, they will be cursing them as 'scabs' while they sit at an empty dinner table.

Again, thoughts and prayers to the retirees that this could affect. And my condolences that you cannot control the ineptitude of your current leadership. You clearly don't have a strong enough vote in who fights for you.

To the union that says strike, I hope I get to laugh at a thread made of your tears.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Judging SOLELY from what I have seen on browncafe, 705's union leadership must be the most incompetent staff the world has ever seen.

Because they stand up for whats right? Please tell me if they are so incompetent, why did the members of 705 receive a better contract than they one you voted yes on?

I really hope there is more going on there than grievances about vending machines and other things people should not be concerned with.

Theres a lot going on here in chicago, at last panel every case was deadlocked by ups! Every case! Simple cases over seniority, air drivers picking up and delivering grounds.

This health insurance issue sounds serious, but unfortunately, it's the same union leading the charge that cries wolf AT LEAST once every six months.

Thank god it the same leadership! They know how to represent the members, and are not in bed with the company like the current ibt leadership!

My best wishes to the people that this actually affects.... not to the current 'failures of amicability' that are fighting for them.

The only hope these retirees have is this current union leadership, as we have seen the ibt turn its back on the members over and over!

Dont worry, we will resolve this with a positive outcome for the retirees, and it wont be because of the lack of support form the likes of you!

Especially take pride because our contract language that was changed was far better than what the national received under hoffa and his cronies!

You are just told it's better...Most of your changes have been happening in the West for over 20 years. You are just playing catch up to much of the country.