Trouble brewing in chicago!

705red

Browncafe Steward
Just read the letter !!!!

WOW !!!

Apparently "subtle" is not in Steve's vocabulary. I would be embarassed that this guy is running the show. All you in Chicago want to know why UPS and your locals don't get along. There it is.

I stand by my last sentence in post 125 of this thread !!!!!
Are you kidding me? Is this not your post?
Can't you all see the handwriting on the wall !!!!!!!!

UPS has the unions by the balls and we don't have a choice anymore. UPS is smart and has a gameplan to destroy the unions. The union has given up so much control, drivers can get fired for just about anything now. You have to give UPS credit, I never thought I'd see the day they would rip us apart.

For years ups controlled the union here, since it was ran by freight and they did not care about ups. After taking it in the rear from ups and the teamsters, Steve and a few other brave soles decided to run a slate to put power back in the members hands.

Now during the time leading up to the election, some of us were being targeted by ups and the union would uphold the terminations.

Cars were vandalized in our driveways, I'm sure this was done by the then current slate of teamsters.

In doing so Steve was the first ever to win an election over an incumbent.

After taking office ups tried the same games, they wanted to trade grievances, suspensions, terminations like they were baseball cards. Steve said no!

This slate of ups reps that we have now is the best to ever represent ups members. When someone is in trouble, they know at least they will have a fair shake and that's all any of us want.

Well after a few months ups grew tired of Steve and the slate, because they were doing what they ran on and promised to do. So ups started deadlocking everything, and in doing so ups ran up a pretty expensive bill on lost arbitration's. Now ups deadlocks only to try and resolve the problem before it goes to arbitration.

We typically have about 8 to 10 termination hearings at panel every month, this past January, with the new arbitrator sitting there (which is the first time due to the new language we gained in the contract) not 1 termination at panel! Not one!

All Steve and the guys want is the contract honored, because we the members want it. But instead ups violates at will, drags employees out for years in arbitration, costing them to lose their families, houses, medical insurance etc.

But you guys expect us to treat these bastards with respect!

I have seen alot of people that have made comments complain in the past about the teamsters being useless and ups controls them and we are always sold out.

Yet you are quick to throw Steve under the bus for doing what a lot of you wish your union leaders would do, and stand up for whats right!

Imagine what hoffas letter would say? You know the retirees would be done if it was up to hoffa.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Red

Putting thoses 2 posts together like that takes them out of context.

First off no one has posted the letter that UPS sent your retirees. We have seen the union letter which STEVE shows how unprofessional he is. There needs to be a resolution on these bi-annual strike threats and company pressure tactics.

You need outside help (not psychiatric) to get these struggles taken care of. The current management on both sides have proven to everyone they can't get the job done.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Can't you all see the handwriting on the wall !!!!!!!!

UPS has the unions by the balls and we don't have a choice anymore. UPS is smart and has a gameplan to destroy the unions. The union has given up so much control, drivers can get fired for just about anything now. You have to give UPS credit, I never thought I'd see the day they would rip us apart.

Red

Putting thoses 2 posts together like that takes them out of context.

That was your psot from this thread heff, i did not take anything out of context. Go back to teh first page and reread what you wrote!

First off no one has posted the letter that UPS sent your retirees. We have seen the union letter which STEVE shows how unprofessional he is.

To get respect you must give respect! When the company illegally alters the cba and tortures the retiree's the way they are, they will get no respect! If not you will be treated the same way!

There needs to be a resolution on these bi-annual strike threats and company pressure tactics.

You need outside help (not psychiatric) to get these struggles taken care of. The current management on both sides have proven to everyone they can't get the job done.

So you condone the company violating the contract at will?
Its ok for the company to wlak all over your rights!

Are you married? Would you stay with your spouse if they broke your wedding vows repeatly?

redshift1

"So you condone the company violating the contract at will?
Its ok for the company to wlak all over your rights!"

No "wlaking" allowed.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I agree the union has weakened. I don't think many people would disagree with that statement. If you can't see that your area again has become wildfire ready to take all of us down with you, then shame on you.

I understand you take personal pride in your local. I applaud it. To fight fire with fire, eye for an eye, nothing will get done. By your comments, you don't want Hoffa there anyways so just use the legal system. But you've already said it will take too long, so strike votes will begin before you even try.

Chicago is already out of hand. If UPS did break the contract by upping the fee by 600 %, bring it to the government. Let them shed light on this in the public eye. Nothing will ever get done, if you just quit trying because it will take too long !!!

thelus

Package Car Whipping Boy
i believe this is a picture of UPS corporate hq when they learned they messed with the wrong local:happy-very:. i stand behind steve 100%. i voted him into office and he has not disappointed me once
Omgonoz.jpg

JonFrum

I received an Adobe PDF copy of this letter which was 471kb. Too large to post. I used the convert-to-text feature and it apears below, (without the UPS shield.)

Note that the increases are huge, single out Local 705 retirees only, and if you don't pay on time, your loose coverage forever!!!

UPS Health & Welfare Package for Retired Employees
Local 705

January 2009

Dear Plan Participant,
The average annual cost per participant in the UPS Health & Weifare Package for Retired Employees has exceeded $6,250. Under the terms of the Plan, each retired employee will be required to share equally in the cost above the $6,250 maximum by making an additional contribution.This additional contribution is effective February 1,2009.

Your contribution amount may change from year to year. As a result of the recent annual evaluation of the average annual cost per participant, your cost share beginning February 1,2009, will be greater than your previous cost share. Your cost is determined by which of the four coverage categories you elected under the Plan. Your monthly costs by coverage category beginning February 1,2009, are as follows:

You Only-$157.58
You Plus Spouse-$315.17
You Plus Children-$315.17
You Plus Family -$472.75

You are normally billed quarterly and should have already received your first bill and remitted payment for 2009 coverage. Within the next two weeks, you will receive an adjusted bill that will show your new cost for retiree coverage for the remainder of the quarter, less any payments already received. Each quarterly bill in the future will cover your cost share for a full three months.You may choose to pay your bills by automatic direct debit bank draft. For information about this option, call the UPS Benefits Service Center at I -800-UPS-1508.

If payment is not received by the due date on your billing statement, your coverage under the Plan will terminate on the last day of the month for which full payment was received. You will not be able to regain eligibility.
If you have any questions, please contact the Benefits Service Center.

Sincerely,

UPS Plan Administration

redshift1

Jon, this appears to be less than previously stated. For a single person about 1200.00 per year and for family a maximum of about 4800.00 per year over previous years do you see this the same way?.

thelus

Package Car Whipping Boy
Ok, From my understanding of whats going on is this, and ill put it into simple terms, UPS went and violated 705's contract and its promise to retirees. local 705's response was to send out a letter to the retirees and file a civil lawsuit in federal court. that's what i'm picking up from 3 stewards and a BA. now as for the letter i agree with Steve, they are heartless bastards. they see employees as a number, you are your employee id number to them not a face not a name, just a number like a prisoner. hell i once said hi to a district manager at the addison building once walking down the primary and the guy didnt even look at me:dissapointed: i've learn something being the nice guy at ups means nothing to ups, they will never ever be nice to me but ill still try to be nice for my own soul:proud: oh btw i added the photo taken of scott davis after he found out 705 doesn't take crap from anyone.:teethy:
OH_NOES_fire.jpg

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Jon, this appears to be less than previously stated. For a single person about 1200.00 per year and for family a maximum of about 4800.00 per year over previous years do you see this the same way?.

It actually works out to about $1900/yr for single and $5700/yr for family coverage. Compare this to the $600/yr that single subscribers currently pay and you will see that this is a huge increase and I understand the anger in the local but there have got to be other avenues to explore other than a strike or a poorly written letter.

Channahon

The average annual cost per participant in the UPS Health & Weifare Package for Retired Employees has exceeded $6,250. Under the terms of the Plan, each retired employee will be required to share equally in the cost above the $6,250 maximum by making an additional contribution.This additional contribution is effective February 1,2009.

The key issue is what is written into the benefits plan and was agreed upon by UPS and the Teamsters.

Is there anything written into the plan, that states no increases in benefits costs will ever be assessed to retirees?

Channahon

Is the payment a monthy or quaterly figure? Not familiar with the plan, but in reading the letter, it looks like a quarterly billing for the amounts stated for elected coverage.

FAVREFAN

The key issue is what is written into the benefits plan and was agreed upon by UPS and the Teamsters.

Is there anything written into the plan, that states no increases in benefits costs will ever be assessed to retirees?
So, if it's the costs over $6,250 each year.....this will go up every year from here on out. Health care costs NEVER go down. So this is just the beginning of annual rate increases?

705red

Browncafe Steward
It actually works out to about $1900/yr for single and $5700/yr for family coverage. Compare this to the $600/yr that single subscribers currently pay and you will see that this is a huge increase and I understand the anger in the local but there have got to be other avenues to explore other than a strike or a poorly written letter.
I agree with you on a better way than a strike, but the letter is written perfect! I have not heard 1 complaint from a retiree that has received it.

Earlier you spoke on doing a leaflet, and passing it out. I brought up this idea and it looks like we will be doing this in the next week or so. Kudos to you, its actually your idea.

We will be handing it out an ups stores and customer counters to start. We are putting together a list of bigger ups accounts that we could hand to their employees as they drive in to the lot. This should put a little more pressure on ups!

Thanks upstate!

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I agree RED that your retirees got hosed on this. Keep everyone posted on what the local is doing to counteract this disgrace.

Eventually we will all be in the retiree's shoes, we need to set a precedent so no company (UPS included) can rewrite part of the contract on their own

I was thinking about it all day RED. You guys just signed the contract 4-5 months ago. How can they think they can raise any benefit fee by that much percentage? Fight the good fight !

pemanager

Last week ups sent out letters to all of our retiree's raising their medical coverage from $50 per dependant to $300 per. The problem here is that at no time during negotiations did ups discuss any changes to the retiree medical as in raising the deductible.

As of today ups has been sent a letter to resolve this within the next 24 hours or teamsters local 705 will be filing a federal lawsuit against ups, a unfair labor practice charge and after the ulp if filed a 72 hour notice to strike will be sent to ups. Its quite possible that a work stoppage would happen in chicago as early as the middle of next week.

I just do not understand how atlanta allows these issues here in chicago to get to this point. Labor here just shows a total disregard for the contract and more importantly the retirees who have served this company for enough years to be able to retire.

Now they expect a retiree whos pension is lets say $3,000 a month and who has himself and wife with one child covered to fork out $900. Thats a third of his pension on an already fixed income!

Way to take care of your people ups! Please show some respect for the past employees, or its quite possible us current employees will have to earn that respect for them!

From the actual letter as posted by Jon Frum:

You Plus Family -$472.75

You were off by almost 100% and the monthly costs do not appear to be by dependant in Jon's letter. Do you have something to substantiate $50/dependant or could that be off by 100% also?

kingOFchester

We will be handing it out an ups stores and customer counters to start. We are putting together a list of bigger ups accounts that we could hand to their employees as they drive in to the lot. This should put a little more pressure on ups!

Thanks upstate!

Just what our customers want to hear.........they will love to know that their delivery company and employees are at odds that could leave them stranded when it comes to their packages. Not sure this is the best avenue to go down.

I'm just saying.......

One other comment, not sure there is a better option, just that all options kind of have a bad taste.:sad-little: