Trouble brewing in chicago!

Channahon

Why go throught the expense of printing leaflets, why not just hand out the letter written by Local 705?

We have seen the letter by the Local and UPS, does anyone have access to the plan itself? Based on the letter by UPS:

The average annual cost per participant in the UPS Health & Weifare Package for Retired Employees has exceeded $6,250. Under the terms of the Plan, each retired employee will be required to share equally in the cost above the $6,250 maximum by making an additional contribution.This additional contribution is effective February 1,2009.

The key issue is what is written into the benefits plan and was agreed upon by UPS and the Teamsters.

I'm not sure the public and our customers will be very sympathetic to this issue, based on the economy and massive layoffs, so what exactly is the point of passing out leaflets?

To have customers divert their packages to other carriers, as a sign of support?

over9five

Staff member
It does sound like 705 missed that, and is now trying to blame UPS.

Red should find out who was responsible for agreeing to those terms that Channahon posted in bold.

ups79

It does sound like 705 missed that, and is now trying to blame UPS.

Red should find out who was responsible for agreeing to those terms that Channahon posted in bold.

The insurance in retirement is not even close to that if you are an employee. No vision, dental, and to top that off the maximum paid benefit per year is $100,000.00.

705red

Browncafe Steward
The average annual cost per participant in the UPS Health & Weifare Package for Retired Employees has exceeded $6,250. Under the terms of the Plan, each retired employee will be required to share equally in the cost above the $6,250 maximum by making an additional contribution.This additional contribution is effective February 1,2009
From my understanding the diagreement is what you have highlighted in bold. The word each, puts respnsiblilty on all retirees, not just a select few.

The local has filed a lawsuit against ups, click here to view.

http://www.teamsterslocal705.org/UPScomplaint.htm
http://www.teamsterslocal705.org/what_can_brown_do_to_you.htm

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I applaud Local 705 for taking action legally instead of threatening to strike. I can probably say without hesitation, that every UPS union employee is behind this legal recourse 110 %.

Channahon

Red,

Thanks for the info. In reading the complaint, I understand the following:

A class action lawsuit
A $50 contribution till 2013 per retiree
Any increase in monthly contribution should be levied on all retirees in Central States, which would surely bring down the monthly increase to all retirees
And a verbal agreement between UPS and Local #705

So the question now is:

Why in the world of attorneys who negotiate the contract with representatives from both the union and UPS, not put in writing the verbal agreement?

But then again, who knows what goes on behind closed doors?

705red

Browncafe Steward
Red,

Thanks for the info. In reading the complaint, I understand the following:

A class action lawsuit
A $50 contribution till 2013 per retiree
Any increase in monthly contribution should be levied on all retirees in Central States, which would surely bring down the monthly increase to all retirees
And a verbal agreement between UPS and Local #705

So the question now is:

Why in the world of attorneys who negotiate the contract with representatives from both the union and UPS, not put in writing the verbal agreement?

But then again, who knows what goes on behind closed doors?
Chan as a member of the negotiating team for local 705's contract this past year, there were no changes to the spd (summary plan description).

This language has been in there since at least least 2002, and possibly before. I do know in 2002 our medical plan was changed.

Now in the last contract 2008 ups had not presented any changes to any of our current medical, which from what i have been told would have been the time to do so.

Now its in the courts hands, with attorneys charging $500 plus an hour, looks like the losing side (teamsters or ups) will be out some serious coin when all is said and done!

caspers1

Support is growing in Congress to make it easier for workers to join unions. When President Obama says that unions are part of the solution and not the problem, that must send shivers up the spine of all the companies .

over9five

Staff member
You've been too patient, Red. Time to walk! They're laughing at you guys. Show them you won't be stepped on!

Trouble is still brewing, right?

705red

Browncafe Steward
over your giving me way to much power and credit! I'm not that high up the ladder. and in my original post i spelled out the steps that were to be taken. I was a premature in saying there could be a work stoppage within a week.

tieguy

Banned
over your giving me way to much power and credit! I'm not that high up the ladder. and in my original post i spelled out the steps that were to be taken. I was a premature in saying there could be a work stoppage within a week.

See if you can get them to save me a 264 series mac. Love the old bull dogs. :happy-very:

705red

Browncafe Steward
Today was another court date and the judge asked ups what the reitree's that retired after august 1st of 2008 were paying iinto their medical. Ups's response was "they were paying the $50"

from what i have heard the judge replied that you have a problem directed towards ups.

They are scheduled in court again next week.

Tie i have a nice cab over for you, if you need soemwere to stay, my door is open. LOL

Red Dawn

do u every get the feeling that some guy goes to ups and shows them how they could save allll this money. pitches it like a screen play writer would to WB. sales it like ocean front property in Arizona. Ups takes the bait and then realizes we it's going to cost them way more money than it was going to save them. No one can say they made a mistake. In fear of losing their job or pride. So they throw even more money at the problem hopping a slick enough lawyer will get them out of it. It's amazing how usp will spend a dollar to save a dime.
ps ask bellesmom about suit with ups. cost company s@@@ load.