Trying to figure out union stuff

jlynnp0770

I am fairly new to UPS. Started as a driver helper, never really intended to come on permanent, but management kept asking me, so I said yes (best decision for me as I love the morning workouts!).
Every time I mention Union at my center, I barely get answers. I just want to know when I become part of the Union, how I find out what they are doing for me, how much dues are, etc. I have not been part of a Union since I was a teen working in a factory where they took union dues and other than representing those with possible disciplinary actions coming to them, I don't remember much about union.
I received a package with information about union 401k and Roth plans, which I signed up for almost immediately, but just cannot get other information about how to contact the union or what other benefits are available from the union.
Suggestions on where to look?

Wit Cho Yo Goofass

Ask someone who’s been there a while to point you towards a steward on your shift. Hey should have been introduced to you during orientation & you should have also been given of list of contacts of said union stewards.

qdg2

Find the veteran worker strangely staring at supervisors working. He is your steward.
Maybe. We have a few folks that are not stewards but regularly file.

BTW, we have so many pt supes working...more than regular folks(hourlies).....it's just standard here.

I actually asked an hourly one day why the part time supervisor (working beside her) was doing such....she said "why are you asking me". Again, it's just become normal.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck

BTW, we have so many pt supes working...more than regular folks(hourlies).....it's just standard here.

I actually asked an hourly one day why the part time supervisor (working beside her) was doing such....she said "why are you asking me". Again, it's just become normal.
Just think, if you filed a grievance, you could afford another handtruck….

gringo flamingo

This is rampant at my hub down south. I don't dare file a griev though because we have the good ol boy system and I'd be dealt with, but Jesus it's makes my blood boil. They actually cut unloaders towards the end of shift and the supes finish unloading. 🤬

gringo flamingo

A set of balls could help in this situation
That sounds fun and all, but our steward is simped up to mgmt, i have good health care and can't afford to lose my job during a recession. I've seen people with more seniority than myself disappear and nobody knows why, they're just not there one day. Only people that file at my hub are drivers.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
This is rampant at my hub down south. I don't dare file a griev though because we have the good ol boy system and I'd be dealt with, but Jesus it's makes my blood boil. They actually cut unloaders towards the end of shift and the supes finish unloading. 🤬
Don’t dare file? SMH

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
A set of balls could help in this situation
Testicle-Lock-Box (2).jpg

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
That sounds fun and all, but our steward is simped up to mgmt, i have good health care and can't afford to lose my job during a recession. I've seen people with more seniority than myself disappear and nobody knows why, they're just not there one day. Only people that file at my hub are drivers.
Do you live your whole life being scared to death

gringo flamingo

Do you live your whole life being scared to death
No, but i also know when to not poke the dog. Over half the kids in my hub ain't even union and wouldn't be a witness anyway. Even high seniority part timers won't file because they like their positions and don't want trouble. If you work in a closed shop in a strong union state i wouldn't expect you to understand. Btw I'm a little too old and thick skined to be bothered by your comment so it was a waste of your time, but hey, you gave it a try slugger.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
No, but i also know when to not poke the dog. Over half the kids in my hub ain't even union and wouldn't be a witness anyway. Even high seniority part timers won't file because they like their positions and don't want trouble. If you work in a closed shop in a strong union state i wouldn't expect you to understand. Btw I'm a little too old and thick skined to be bothered by your comment so it was a waste of your time, but hey, you gave it a try slugger.
You should be old enough to know that nothing will change unless you stand up to them. You must like getting screwed I guess. Closed shop or open, you can still man up.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
These problems don't get better until someone makes them better.
Have you talked to the driver steward(s)?

If they have the backbone to run grievances through, go through them.
And if that doesn't work, call the union hall, figure out who your BA is, and explain the situation to him/her.

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
Become the steward. File Article 37’s, Article 21’s, and a couple Article 4’s of the NMA, and maybe a couple ULP’s (Section 8[§ 158.]) to the NLRB for violating the NLRA if they go after you. Simple as.