Trying to keep my job

JustAnumber1

I wasn't sure if I could have a lawyer replace my ba. So thanks for that information. As it happens, my best friend is a lawyer and would be willing to do anything to help me. Unfortunately he is not an employment lawyer and has very little experience in that regard but he is more than willing to argue on my behalf. ( for free!!!!). He just knows very little about how to defend me in this situation, he has friends that are more experienced in this area and I'm sure he could get them to help me. It that throws the for free part out the window. Even if I got the friend of mine discount, I'd have to pony up some money. Problem with that is I'm currently unemployed!!! Would hate to spend my nest egg trying to get my job back and be unsuccessful in the end, that would add insult to injury for sure.

JustAnumber1

I do see your point and it's the exact point my ba said. In rebuttal though, so a feeder driver fails a random test, they are entitled to one rehab by contract. The liability argument kinda goes out the window doesn't it? I mean if I'm such a liability and the company can't take a chance that I may hurt myself or someone on the preload, how can they take a chance with someone driving an 80,000 lb truck after they become aware they've used drugs?

542thruNthru

I do see your point and it's the exact point my ba said. In rebuttal though, so a feeder driver fails a random test, they are entitled to one rehab by contract. The liability argument kinda goes out the window doesn't it? I mean if I'm such a liability and the company can't take a chance that I may hurt myself or someone on the preload, how can they take a chance with someone driving an 80,000 lb truck after they become aware they've used drugs?

The difference is his test was random and he was never asked if he has a drug problem. So they allow him to rehab. They asked you if you wanna rehab. You said no. You should have said "yes I have a problem with marijuana and would like to rehab."

Like I said man they may take pity on you.

JustAnumber1

They actually fired me for theft of time as well, I paid my phone bill on the clock. I was driving, im an rtd driver, phone was cut off, didn't know where my next stop was and in order to find my next stop I needed Google maps, obviously I had to pay my bill before I could use google maps, so I called and pd my bill, used saved card info, took all of 2 minutes, they say that's theft of time. I am currently terminated for that, haven't been officially terminated for failed drug test yet but I will fail it and I anticipate that termination letter will be forthcoming as I will not pass drug test. I've busted my ass for this company, I've never been high at work or on the clock and they completely kicked me to the curb. I realize I'm just a cog in the machine, ups is a huge company and they won't miss a single delivery whether I'm there or not. It just sucks that aka or manager who knows nothing about me or my deranged since of humor comes in and fires me without any hesitation. I know people come and go at ups, I know he has a job to do, I just wish it was left in the hands of my center manager or the supervisors that can vouch for my work ethic and not some guy who on,y shows up to fire people he knows nothing about

JustAnumber1

They tricked me!!! My stupidity I realize now. They asked me if I had a problem in the context of herion. I said no cuz I do not have a problem with herion. I was naive, I thought it would be obvious i don't do herion and it is. Dude knows I don't do herion. So I answered no, I don't have a problem, which is the truth. Never even contemplated taking a drug test and failing for weed at the time. Never thought I would be asked to take a drug test. For the record, test will be clean for herion!!!! But I will fail for weed and so I guess they got me!!!! Of all the things I've gotten away with in life, from speeding tickets to trouble in school I've caught a lot of breaks, to lose my job over a poor attempt at humor is crazy. Maybe that's karma

UnconTROLLed

perfection
They actually fired me for theft of time as well, I paid my phone bill on the clock. I was driving, im an rtd driver, phone was cut off, didn't know where my next stop was and in order to find my next stop I needed Google maps, obviously I had to pay my bill before I could use google maps, so I called and pd my bill, used saved card info, took all of 2 minutes, they say that's theft of time. I am currently terminated for that, haven't been officially terminated for failed drug test yet but I will fail it and I anticipate that termination letter will be forthcoming as I will not pass drug test. I've busted my ass for this company, I've never been high at work or on the clock and they completely kicked me to the curb. I realize I'm just a cog in the machine, ups is a huge company and they won't miss a single delivery whether I'm there or not. It just sucks that aka or manager who knows nothing about me or my deranged since of humor comes in and fires me without any hesitation. I know people come and go at ups, I know he has a job to do, I just wish it was left in the hands of my center manager or the supervisors that can vouch for my work ethic and not some guy who on,y shows up to fire people he knows nothing about
Yeah, the whole background story would have been useful in the beginning. Lying by omission is no good. :P

P

pickup

no, I did not admit to doing drugs in the meeting, I admitted to taking a prescription pain pill, which I have a valid prescription for. I'm sure my test will be positive for marijuana. They asked me if I had a problem with herion, I told them no. I don't have a problem with herion, I've never done herion, never seen herion, don't know anyone that does herion. I made a joke in reference to herion and my helper that day told management. That led to me being interrogated and I refused help when they asked because like I said, I don't need help for a drug I've never even seen!!!! Once I realized they were going to test me, I asked to go into a treatment program because I knew I would be positive for weed. They would not allow it because they said I had already refused help. I understand the language of the contract, I understand that asking for help once a test is imminent is too late. My argument is that the test was unwarranted because of the contract language. Contract says I must be observed by 2 supervisors to have to submit to a reasonable suspicion test. So company wants to adhere to contract language in regards to me asking for help after it's too late but disregard the language about the protocol for reasonable suspicion.
no, I did not admit to doing drugs in the meeting, I admitted to taking a prescription pain pill, which I have a valid prescription for. I'm sure my test will be positive for marijuana. They asked me if I had a problem with herion, I told them no. I don't have a problem with herion, I've never done herion, never seen herion, don't know anyone that does herion. I made a joke in reference to herion and my helper that day told management. That led to me being interrogated and I refused help when they asked because like I said, I don't need help for a drug I've never even seen!!!! Once I realized they were going to test me, I asked to go into a treatment program because I knew I would be positive for weed. They would not allow it because they said I had already refused help. I understand the language of the contract, I understand that asking for help once a test is imminent is too late. My argument is that the test was unwarranted because of the contract language. Contract says I must be observed by 2 supervisors to have to submit to a reasonable suspicion test. So company wants to adhere to contract language in regards to me asking for help after it's too late but disregard the language about the protocol for reasonable suspicion.

I was thinking this through, at some in this meeting or conversations, did you talk to two supervisors , not necessarily in the same meeting or place? If so, you might have had two supervisors observe you.

I got this off the net : I cut and paste the appropriate portions:

What do you do if you suspect an employee is under the influence of drugs or alcohol at work? This guide will walk you through the steps management should take to properly execute and document situations under a drug and alcohol testing policy. These steps were written with the assumption that your organization has a clearly written drug and alcohol policy that includes drug and alcohol testing for reasonable suspicion. A general policy statement is not enough to permit testing; if your policy does not include testing for reasonable suspicion, you may want to consult your legal counsel to determine if this is a type of policy your organization should implement.

Step 1: Identifying employee

Concerns that an employee is under the influence often come from co-workers or even clients or vendors before it is noticed by a supervisor or manager. You do not want to send an employee for testing based on hearsay or gossip, but you should document the complaint or concerns of co-workers who bring this information forward. Take a few extra minutes to ask what the employee observed, when it was observed and if others witnessed this or commented on this situation. You also want to know if this is something that has happened in the past (a pattern of behavior) or new behavior.

Step 2: Observations by management

Firsthand observation should be made by two members of management. Immediately upon notice of this type of concern, the supervisor or available manager or HR personnel should go to this employee’s work area for firsthand observation. They may be able to observe the employee from afar, but usually they will need to talk with the employee directly to observe any smell of alcohol, eye dilation, slurred speech or other behaviors.

Step 4: Observations by another person

The manager or HR person who performed the initial observation should seek a second member of management or HR to confirm initial suspicions. This second observer should perform his or her own firsthand observation of the employee.

Step 5: Documenting observations

Both observers should clearly document their observations, including any abnormal behaviors. You want to be as specific as possible in your description, but do not attempt to diagnose the situation. For example, an observation may include:

• Odors (smell of alcohol, body odor or urine).
  • Movements (unsteady, fidgety, dizzy).
  • Eyes (dilated, constricted, watery, involuntary eye movements).
  • Face (flushed, sweating, confused or blank look).
  • Speech (slurred, slow, distracted mid-thought, inability to verbalize thoughts).
  • Emotions (argumentative, agitated, irritable, drowsy).
  • Actions (yawning, twitching).
  • Inactions (sleeping, unconscious, no reaction to questions).

Step 6: Assessing situation

After the situation has been clearly documented, you need to assess what you know and observed to determine next steps. If both observers witnessed behaviors that create a suspicion and the documentation supports this, then proceed with step 7. If there is disagreement, you may need to bring in a third party to also observe and help make a determination. You may decide that you don’t have anything that leads you to a reasonable suspicion of use of drugs or alcohol outside of an employee complaint. You do not want to send an employee for testing unless you have documented concerns that support a reasonable suspicion.

Step 7: Meeting with employee

You will want to meet with the employee and a witness; often the meeting includes the employee, supervisor and human resources. During this meeting you should clearly explain what has been observed or documented by management. Then explain that in order to rule out the possibility that the employee is in violation of the company’s drug and alcohol policy, you will be sending the employee for a drug and/or alcohol test. Explaining it in this manner shows the employee that you haven’t jumped to any conclusions, but are just following your procedures; and if the employee is not under the influence of drugs or alcohol at work, the test will prove this. If you have not obtained a drug testing consent previously, you should have a consent form available at this meeting for the employee’s signature.

Me again: So in the course of these meetings, they could have "observed" you, and made note, truthfully or not of some signs, such as eyes dilated, slurred speech, emotions. Very arbitrary but guess who the arbitrators are in this case?: the supervisors.

I am sorry to say but in my opinion, you don't have a case.

CHALLY9TX

No offense but your story is getting weirder. And how did they find out you paid your phone on the clock? Are you currently under working termination?

JustAnumber1

The whole story is that I had a helper. I think I said that this job will make you want to do drugs. We'd be better off to just get some herion and say to hell with it. It was a joke, I was not serious. I was frustrated because I was delivering out of a Ryder truck and couldnt find a single package at any stop. Of course my helper didn't know me or my since of humor. I really took for granted that she wouldn't think I was serious. Obviously she did. I didn't lie about anything, nor have I intentionally omitted anything. I guess my helper then documented everything I did or said the rest of the day. So I get to a point where I'm unfamiliar with my the street my next stop was on and I needed to use my phone to look it up. Had to pay my bill in order to do that, I sat at last stop, pd bill, used phone to find next stop. Ups considers that theft of time. Took maybe 2 minutes and I was doing it in service to the company. Never crossed my mind to clock out and honestly even if it did I wouldn't have clocked out, I had no need to pay my bill except for needing to find my next stop, guess I should have just sheeted it up as no such street? Cuz that's the more ethical thing to do right? I'll never conced that paying my phone bill so that I could use it to the benefit of ups is theft of time.

JustAnumber1

i guess I'm more or less venting, I understand that I'm pretty much screwed. I do feel that I've been wrongfully terminated, at least from an ethical standpoint as I understand that legally ups is probably well within their rights to fire me. I just hate that I've wasted 8 years at ups, I've let opportunities slip by thinking ups was a good career choice. The management is despicable and I've seen firsthand that they will lie, cheat, do whatever they need to so their numbers are good, or to pass the buck to some other employee. I've not been there long enough to remember the days the older guys talk about, when ups cared about their employees and the service they provided. I've been a proud upser, I've purchased stock since I was eligible, I've strived to make the company profitable, not only because it served my own interest in terms of the stock doing well but also because I take pride in my work. I've not been a model employee I'll admit, I have been tardy on server occasions, aside from that, I have worked hard for ups, I have been a good employee, I have gone the extra mile and in the end, a bad sense of humor and a seasonal helper with an attitude is all it took for ups to decide I don't deserve to works there.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Yeah, sorry I don't buy it...there is more to your story. As an employee, if I went to management and said hey I was just talking to that driver, John and he made a joke about doing heroin....are they going to call him in the office and say, we suspect that you're high and have a heroin problem, we need you to go take a drug test? Naaah....

browner89

Unless you live in one of two states, Marijuana is illegal to smoke without a prescription. This isn't a moral argument either, just how it is.

You broke the law, you told UPS you didn't, and then agreed to take a drug test which will prove you lied. Even if they tricked you into taking it for another substance. UPS outsmarted you and can now give your job to someone who will be making half of what you make if you've been there 8 years.

UPS isn't as profitable as they are by being kind to their employees, if you give them a reason to pay someone a lot less to do the same work they'll take it.

They won the game, simple as that.

Unfortunately for you, it sounds like you're screwed. As it was stated, the feeder driving failing and getting rehab will, or should, remove him from the streets until he completes his rehab and is deemed to not be a risk, you don't get that benefit that he did because you were dishonest in their eyes. He owned up to his "issue" even if he found it a big joke.

This is why drugs are not worth it, even if they seem harmless to you, it probably just cost you your 8 year career, that's pretty harmful for something you can live without.

Again, I'm not being the moral police, but I sense stupid. I also agree with BB58, your story keeps having more added. Starts out as "going to be fired for failing a drug test" "fired for failing drug test" "fired for stealing time actually, drug test will be added later" etc.

It's hard to trust it, no offense, you didn't know your helper, we don't know you.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Something about this doesn't add up. UPS takes the word of a helper over an eight year veteran driver? If I were paranoid, I would think they are using helpers as spies and snitches to get drivers. I guess we just can't trust helpers.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Something about this doesn't add up. UPS takes the word of a helper over an eight year veteran driver? If I were paranoid, I would think they are using helpers as spies and snitches to get drivers. I guess we just can't trust helpers.

We had a helper show up at the center in the middle of the day crying. Turns out the driver had made an inappropriate sexual comment to her. He no longer works here.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I don't know if it matters but I always ask helpers if they are management or corporate spies. I figure if I'm observed doing anything wrong and they were spying I can say THEY lied about their position. IDK maybe we are all a little too paranoid, maybe not.

Indecisi0n

i have read many posts and can't find an answer to my questions. I was made to take a reasonable suspicion drug test for a comment I made to a helper. I honestly don't expect to pass it. I am not here to be lectured about the morality of marijuana which is the way so many of these discussions seem to go. My question pertains to the contract, specifically where it says I must be observed by 2 supervisors trained in what to look for. This obviously was not the case as I was required to take the test because of a remark I made to a helper, a poor attempt at humor. My ba says that what the company did is ok and that that part of the contract is apparently irrelevant in my case. He says that the union will not even fight on my behalf. What good is the contract if the company can do whatever, whenever they want regardless of what the contract says? Any insight or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks to all
The contract is crap because it can't get druggies off the hook for being high? Funnest thing I heard all day.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Ya think?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Was the helper a narc?

giphy.gif

M

Mike hunt

i have read many posts and can't find an answer to my questions. I was made to take a reasonable suspicion drug test for a comment I made to a helper. I honestly don't expect to pass it. I am not here to be lectured about the morality of marijuana which is the way so many of these discussions seem to go. My question pertains to the contract, specifically where it says I must be observed by 2 supervisors trained in what to look for. This obviously was not the case as I was required to take the test because of a remark I made to a helper, a poor attempt at humor. My ba says that what the company did is ok and that that part of the contract is apparently irrelevant in my case. He says that the union will not even fight on my behalf. What good is the contract if the company can do whatever, whenever they want regardless of what the contract says? Any insight or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks to all
It probably wouldn't hurt to call the NLRB and start the process. Maybe you can get something worked out that you will be placed in the sap program because the process wasn't adhered to. It's worth a try.