Trying to keep my job

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
They fired you for stealing time...looks like you were on their SL. Plus the drug use, plus you mentioned in a post you've been fired before this. How many chances do you need....8 years in, you should know how to play the game.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Moral of the story: Don't piss off your helper

I hope it works out for you. There are plenty of job opportunities for former UPS drivers.
The pay and benefits might not be as good but the stress is gone.

Also, Marijuana is as addicting as any other drug. Don't be fooled and don't let this drug cost you another job.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Moral of the story: Don't piss off your helper

I hope it works out for you. There are plenty of job opportunities for former UPS drivers.
The pay and benefits might not be as good but the stress is gone.

Also, Marijuana is as addicting as any other drug. Don't be fooled and don't let this drug cost you another job.
I think the helper was just the last straw....if he was a good employee, and I told manangement that Heff made a joke about using coke, they're not going to call you in the office and ask you to pee in a cup based solely on my word.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I think the helper was just the last straw....if he was a good employee, and I told manangement that Heff made a joke about using coke, they're not going to call you in the office and ask you to pee in a cup based solely on my word.

Agreed
I can see the helper telling the helper coordinator that he made a drug joke. But how does paying your phone bill through your phone get you fired.
I mean what steward or BA would let a driver get fired from a helper saying he was on his phone for 2 minutes paying his bill.

That is ridiculous and only shows the target on his back has many previous holes in it.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I don't know if it matters but I always ask helpers if they are management or corporate spies. I figure if I'm observed doing anything wrong and they were spying I can say THEY lied about their position. IDK maybe we are all a little too paranoid, maybe not.

I hear you on this. Every single one of them I've worked with for the last 12 peaks as a driver shows up on that first day without clue #1 on how to do the job - thus they could be an OCS, could be a center manager, could be LP, could even be the CEO.

You just don't know.

And to the OP: a few words to the wise if you do somehow manage to keep your job:

1. Don't ever discuss your personal life around anyone at UPS, joking or not, and especially not around management.

2. Find a new vice that won't show up on a piss test - because you will be on their radar for a VERY long time.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
This is simply propaganda and just an opinion with no basis. Scientifically and based upon observation, opiates and other drugs such as cocaine, amphetamines and etc are far more mentally and physically addictive , and of course dangerous. Nice try working that in, though. ;)

upschuck

This is simply propaganda and just an opinion with no basis. Scientifically and based upon observation, opiates and other drugs such as cocaine, amphetamines and etc are far more mentally and physically addictive , and of course dangerous. Nice try working that in, though. ;)
By say "far more" you are admitting Heff's post is correct.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
We have a seasonal helper whom was (and continues to through the free period) , doing drugs in the bathroom in our hub. I'll be damned if I go down that road with reporting it or even speaking about it with anyone, but that's this company in a nutshell. I'm not passing judgment here, she is out of her mind on drugs and everyone knows it...but just 'sayin, you have to be on a VERY hot-seat to be drug tested at UPS. If this woman is out of her mind on drugs and it's passable, then there is something to be said for the behavior the OP committed.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I hear you on this. Every single one of them I've worked with for the last 12 peaks as a driver shows up on that first day without clue #1 on how to do the job - thus they could be an OCS, could be a center manager, could be LP, could even be the CEO.

You just don't know.

And to the OP: a few words to the wise if you do somehow manage to keep your job:

1. Don't ever discuss your personal life around anyone at UPS, joking or not, and especially not around management.

2. Find a new vice that won't show up on a piss test - because you will be on their radar for a VERY long time.
If you do your job and don't break the rules...it wouldn't matter if management was in the.jumpseat. I've doubled as a helper and some of the BS a few drivers pulled...I was relly surprised. I'd never rat on a fellow teamster...but some guys are just asking for trouble.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
What do you mean by that? Not all of the post was incorrect, just the last portion. Obvious misinformation is obvious, that's all I was saying. It is well documented that drugs such as heroin and other opiates such as oxy-contin are not in the same domain as marijuana.

HOWEVER, I suppose if meaning "dangerous" you mean dangerous to your career ; okay, touche.

upschuck

What do you mean by that? Not all of the post was incorrect, just the last portion. Obvious misinformation is obvious, that's all I was saying. It is well documented that drugs such as heroin and other opiates such as oxy-contin are not in the same domain as marijuana.
You don't think that his drug use couldn't cost him another job? Why do you keep responding to the first part of his post then? Have you been indulging?

I personally think that you should be able to do anything you want, but the penalties need to be stiff, if it infringes on other people's rights. None of this he wasn't in his right mind, so give them a light sentence crap. This is the land of the free, after all.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck

HOWEVER, I suppose if meaning "dangerous" you mean dangerous to your career ; okay, touche.

How about "dangerous" as in using a mind altering substance and then driving a package car through neighborhoods with kids and dogs playing in the streets? I mean are you being serious?

ArcherUTR

Your logic mobile is broke.

And to claim that marijuana is as addictive as crack, heroin, narcotics, alcohol, meth...is asinine.

It is a psychological crutch, not physically addictive nor can you overdose.

JustAnumber1

To all those that have tried to help, thanks. To all those that say my story doesn't add up, well sorry y'all can't do math cuz that is the story, nothing has been omitted or changed. As far as having a target on my back, yes, I probably did, I have been fired several times in the past for tardiness but it has been many years since the last time. I pissed off my helper and in turn she tried ( successfully) to get me in trouble. so I appears I've lost my job, it is what it it is and as much as I hate being in the position I'm in now, im certain that everything will turn out for the best in the end. There were many days I went out with a horrible load, worked as hard and fast as I could, only to be told in the end that it wasn't good enough. Story of my life at ups, super keep saying to follow your methods and if you did it this way it would work yet I've never ever seen a shoe willing or able to demonstrate the methods for any length of time. They may for a minute or two but once they start to get behind then they disappear again. I'm not looking for sympathy but it amazes me how many people seem to take pleasure in mine and others misfortune, I've been fired, like many others, and it seems that some actaully get satisfaction out of telling my job is gone. I'm a drug addict? Because I smoked a joint with a friend on Saturday night before the test on Monday, (actually I was with a fellow upser) I'm an addict? How many of you stone throwers are on a prescribed narcotic? Probably taken during work hours. I was not high on the clock, nor have I ever been. All these posts about the harms of weed, blah blah blah. Yes I lost my job for weed but I don't feel like I'm some addict that needs help, I do t see anything wrong with it, it's illegal, you got me there but I don't regret it from a morale standpoint, yes I regret losing my job but I don't think I'm some horrible addict that is a danger t society. I'm an honest, hard working person that prefers to smoke a joint and feel fine the next morning as opposed to getting drunk and climbing into the seat of a ups truck with a pounding headache and the longering affects of alcohol. Of course, that's legal I know. Millions of Americans feel the same as me. It's proven in pole after pole that the majority of people don't consider weed harmful. To all those that crucify weed smokers, you're out of touch with reality and the changing moores of society.

ArcherUTR

It sounds like the OP was on the short list.

He''s also an 8-yr driver who uses his phone for navigation...but then again it's hard to find a Mapsco these days and seems to be the new rookie way.

OP you need to calm the :censored2: down. You need to come up with a plan and a backup plan. It seems like the Brown Cafe is your main plan.

Your helper thought that you were behaving like you were on drugs and talking about drugs. It is extremely odd that she would go to management to explain this. Either she is a crazy person, you are crazy person, or very unluckily you both are.

Last edited:

PT Car Washer

Have you lost your job? You may not have smoked enough to break the threshold for being terminated. As far as being terminated for stealing 2 minutes of time that is bogus and can be beat. Are you willing to change if you get out of this mess? If not you will just be back here again in a couple months with another story about how you are being mistreated.

upschuck

Your logic mobile is broke.

And to claim that marijuana is as addictive as crack, heroin, narcotics, alcohol, meth...is asinine.

It is a psychological crutch, not physically addictive nor can you overdose.
Your logic mobile is off too. I never said it was as addictive, just that they respondent agreed that it was addictive, by their wording.