two pay raises this year??

vantexan

That's possible. Could also reduce guaranteed minimum hours. Or they could change the OT standards, such as eliminating the automatic OT for all hours worked over 8 in one day.

It depends on which path they want to take. Raising insurance would make nearly everyone mad. Adjusting the minimums would make a few people mad. Doing something to OT would make a decent number of people mad. The idea would be to offset the new pay progression as much as possible while upsetting the fewest people.
They've already eliminated plenty. Ground is self sustaining too. And fuel prices should be much lower for many years to come so they're saving billions there. Why not kick some back to the employees, especially since they've taken the company to the brink of being a laughingstock?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
They've already eliminated plenty. Ground is self sustaining too. And fuel prices should be much lower for many years to come so they're saving billions there. Why not kick some back to the employees, especially since they've taken the company to the brink of being a laughingstock?

They are going to be paying more to the employees.

59 Dano

Because there is no way FedEx will fork over that much in a year in raises.

They probably won't give many people double bumps (kicked up to a higher market level, then a raise on top of that), but I can see $2 raises. Not saying how probable they are, but that I wouldn't rule them out... with strings attached.

MondayLates

3) Each employee's current rate of pay will be bumped up to the next step in the progression and then go from there. I can't see this being received very well by anyone other than new hires at bottom of range.

The paperwork I have says that each employee will top out in a "maximum of 10 years," but that could easily mean 10 years from the start of the step plan. This will be expensive no matter which option is used, so there will be an offset somewhere (FPP elimination was part of it) which could be a reduction in the number of market levels.

It could be structured like Southwest's ramp agent step plan was (and still is, I think). There was a 15 year plan, and around $15 or $16 difference between bottom and top. The difference between day one and the 14th step was around $11 and you got a huge raise on the last step. It wouldn't be surprising for our plan to be more heavily weighted toward the latter steps.

This is exactly how it will happen. All of this information circulated last year, here is the thread about it:

http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/10-step-plan.366626/

Ten year employees are not going to get topped out. Whatever rate you're at now, you'll just be moved up to the next step (see the attachment--first post in the thread above). I have ten years and I will be at step three. Plus they haven't even defined the steps. It could be one year per step, it could be more. I can't imagine they will even stick to this scheme anyway. Look at all of the different schemes we've had since we lost the merit raises. It's confusing by design. They want you to have hope.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
This is exactly how it will happen. All of this information circulated last year, here is the thread about it:

http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/10-step-plan.366626/

Ten year employees are not going to get topped out. Whatever rate you're at now, you'll just be moved up to the next step (see the attachment--first post in the thread above). I have ten years and I will be at step three. Plus they haven't even defined the steps. It could be one year per step, it could be more. I can't imagine they will even stick to this scheme anyway. Look at all of the different schemes we've had since we lost the merit raises. It's confusing by design. They want you to have hope.
Bingo! We have a winner!

59 Dano

I only believe what I see on my paycheck. Until then, it's just more smoke being blown up everyone's behinds.

Oh, they'll do it. If they weren't, they'd either ignore the issue altogether or address it only in the most vague way possible ("committed to providing competitive compensation with regular pay actions to better suit our employees' needs and reward outstanding work blah blah blah").

They've gone so far as to put it in writing, including a reasonable amount of specifics, and distribute it -- without sneaking any "escape hatch" language into it. No way in Hell they paint themselves that deep into a corner if they haven't already started the ball rolling. No one really knows what the plan will look like but they are going to do as much as they've told us.

SmithBarney

Oh, they'll do it. If they weren't, they'd either ignore the issue altogether or address it only in the most vague way possible ("committed to providing competitive compensation with regular pay actions to better suit our employees' needs and reward outstanding work blah blah blah").

They've gone so far as to put it in writing, including a reasonable amount of specifics, and distribute it -- without sneaking any "escape hatch" language into it. No way in Hell they paint themselves that deep into a corner if they haven't already started the ball rolling. No one really knows what the plan will look like but they are going to do as much as they've told us.

I agree because they are losing large amounts of quality employees, employee retention for employees less than 15 yr, is extremely low.
They are finally figuring out that paying to train all these people who eventually quit because of wages, is costing ALOT more than paying a fair wage.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
They probably won't give many people double bumps (kicked up to a higher market level, then a raise on top of that), but I can see $2 raises. Not saying how probable they are, but that I wouldn't rule them out... with strings attached.

After all the "raises", we'll be where we should have been...back in 1982. Anything we get will be taken away elsewhere Shill. You know that.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I agree because they are losing large amounts of quality employees, employee retention for employees less than 15 yr, is extremely low.
They are finally figuring out that paying to train all these people who eventually quit because of wages, is costing ALOT more than paying a fair wage.

I don't think they've figured it out yet. Fred doesn't like to part with even a penny, so it will prove interesting to see what happens.

El Morado Diablo

Our SM threw out a number, $25,000, as an average of what it costs to hire and initially train a new employee. The company has had years to address the pay problem. The only reason they are doing anything now is because they've reached the tipping point where turnover is costing them more than depressing wages is helping them.

We were STRONGLY encouraged to give positive scores on the SFA acknowledging the 6% pay increase last October and the upcoming step levels. It was suggested poor scores could cause upper management to question the wisdom of future pay increases. This went over like a lead balloon in our workgroup. One of our newer couriers spoke in private with the SM after the meeting and said all the new hires felt the SM was trying to coerce them into giving good scores on the SFA. The SM denied it but I think the writing is on the wall that management is under pressure to deliver good scores on this years SFA.

Express Courier

Our manager said we all will get notice to do sfa but we can decline to do so if we want. The first time I've heard that live and in person.

My first thought was he's scared but people that want to send a negative message will want it.

Second thought. It's a TRAP! haha

Third thought. I like my manager.

Last edited: