two pay raises this year??

Express Courier

The people you think are good managers will be drivers again next year. All the good managers I've met don't last long. At least they will be topped out though.
I used to be under him. He was a good manager. Is doing just fine at his new station. A bit of a sneaky snake though but in general a good dude. Now they have a complete doofus running their work group, I'm literally laughing as I type this.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The problem at my station is there are a bunch of younguns who still believe the hype they've heard about FedEx and a lot of foreign born people for whom, compared to the working conditions where they come from, FedEx is great. Last year our scores on pay and benefits were pretty high. And I'm in an expensive market.

Bingo. I just mentioned this in another thread. We've got Third World couriers from all over the place, and FedEx is great compared to Vietnam or other countries where working conditions and wages make FedEx look like a paradise.

Most of them try hard, but aren't very successful as couriers because of the language barrier, poor driving skills, and some cultural factors like treating women badly or body hygiene.

They all love FedEx though.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Bingo. I just mentioned this in another thread. We've got Third World couriers from all over the place, and FedEx is great compared to Vietnam or other countries where working conditions and wages make FedEx look like a paradise.

Most of them try hard, but aren't very successful as couriers because of the language barrier, poor driving skills, and some cultural factors like treating women badly or body hygiene.

They all love FedEx though.
And worst of all, they have a different concept of what good customer service entails.

Express Courier

There are a few workers from (i dunno, Russia area) that work at my station and they are solid as hell. One is a cute female that works her tail off. I was filling in for her one time and the people on her route raved about her.

dezguy

Well about 80% of our work group is topped out, so they all think our wages are great. Then when you mention that you make half of what they do.. they just say "we all started down there" except I didn't just start, I've been here 10 years...

Remember the SFA is and always has been completely voluntary enjoy the free food and dinners, and say thanks but no thanks.
Add to the fact that it used to take 14 months to top out. I wouldn't be so bitter about our pay either if I had been at top out for the vast majority of my career.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
There are a few workers from (i dunno, Russia area) that work my my station and they are solid as hell. One is a cute female that works her tail off. I was filling in for her one time and the people on her route raved about her.
Sorry, I guess I should have said a lot have a different concept of customer service. We have some good ones too.

McFeely

Huge Member
They asked me if I wanted one last year, I said no, I prefer the OT.

It would have been nice to have been given the choice. We had 5 this peak at my station and I got the tweaker for one day on my route. 1 hour into our P1 cycle dude REALLY needs to go piss and we're in the middle of the county roads.

I can run a route faster without a runner getting in my way, honestly. Unless she's hot :D

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
SFA is a joke. It's a game played by management to control the masses. If a majority refuses to participate we take control of the game.

Just trying to picture a collection of employees with "control of the game." What happens when you have "control of the game"?

Is it like in a movie, with a bunch of sweaty couriers in well-worn clothes and with nasty looks on their faces, in a room with no a/c (only an old fan), standing behind their "leader" as he "takes control of the game" from a guy (obviously terrified) in nicer clothes, as his 3 or 4 flunkies sit behind him, looking worried?

Or is it just a few of you standing outside before your start time, puffing on cigarettes, bragging about not taking the SFA? You make it sound so dramatic, I hope it's not like that.

MAKAVELI

Just trying to picture a collection of employees with "control of the game." What happens when you have "control of the game"?

Is it like in a movie, with a bunch of sweaty couriers in well-worn clothes and with nasty looks on their faces, in a room with no a/c (only an old fan), standing behind their "leader" as he "takes control of the game" from a guy (obviously terrified) in nicer clothes, as his 3 or 4 flunkies sit behind him, looking worried?

Or is it just a few of you standing outside before your start time, puffing on cigarettes, bragging about not taking the SFA? You make it sound so dramatic, I hope it's not like that.
If it's no big deal, then why the song and dance? Why the barbecues and endless meetings? Please tell us Dano ?

vantexan

Trying to understand the logic of that statement. What, exactly, is the "propaganda" benefit of 100% participation?
Because when FedEx gets rated on the various lists of best places to work, that is one of the criteria used. Why do you think mgmt pushes for 100% participation? Is it because they really are interested in our opinions? When hiring they can point to that to convince people to sign on. I know, the black helicopters told me.

vantexan

When couriers refuse to take it in greater numbers the company knows it's authority is slipping away. Way back when we hopped to everything they asked of us because it was a job worth keeping. After more than a decade of bald faced lying we realized that anything they want from us is because it benefits them, not us, and if there's a possibility of losing the job, so what? They have no moral authority.

MondayLates

SFA is not about hourlies. It's a tool for upper management to judge the loyalty of operations managers. That's it.

The new pay scheme is not a result of low SFA scores on the paid fairly question. It's them doing the absolute minimum to address turnover rates that are affecting their bottom line.

overflowed

SFA is not about hourlies. It's a tool for upper management to judge the loyalty of operations managers. That's it.

The new pay scheme is not a result of low SFA scores on the paid fairly question. It's them doing the absolute minimum to address turnover rates that are affecting their bottom line.
Deep shate right there, took some thought. I give you much props. And yes, you hit the nail on the head.