two pay raises this year??

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Our SM threw out a number, $25,000, as an average of what it costs to hire and initially train a new employee. The company has had years to address the pay problem. The only reason they are doing anything now is because they've reached the tipping point where turnover is costing them more than depressing wages is helping them.

We were STRONGLY encouraged to give positive scores on the SFA acknowledging the 6% pay increase last October and the upcoming step levels. It was suggested poor scores could cause upper management to question the wisdom of future pay increases. This went over like a lead balloon in our workgroup. One of our newer couriers spoke in private with the SM after the meeting and said all the new hires felt the SM was trying to coerce them into giving good scores on the SFA. The SM denied it but I think the writing is on the wall that management is under pressure to deliver good scores on this years SFA.
Our SM is expecting 96% in my station. :rofl:

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I'll gladly pay taxes to live here. The positives truly outweigh the negatives imop.

Out of curiosity, I went to a tax website to see what our state tax liability would be. YOWZA! I'd love to have SoCal weather, but I wouldn't pay $8000 to get it.

59 Dano

One of our newer couriers spoke in private with the SM after the meeting and said all the new hires felt the SM was trying to coerce them into giving good scores on the SFA. The SM denied it but I think the writing is on the wall that management is under pressure to deliver good scores on this years SFA.

They are always expected to deliver good scores for each section of the SFA.

59 Dano

It was suggested poor scores could cause upper management to question the wisdom of future pay increases.

Good scores could give the idea that everyone is content with the compensation.

The problem with giving poor scores is the risk that it'll be seen as, "They're just going to always oppose everything so there's no point in trying." The SM is playing to that and no one knows for sure how strong that possibility is.

MAKAVELI

Out of curiosity, I went to a tax website to see what our state tax liability would be. YOWZA! I'd love to have SoCal weather, but I wouldn't pay $8000 to get it.
It's all relative. Cost of living may be higher here but it all depends on what is important to each person. Some people like the extra money to buy nice toys some people like to be able to enjoy the outdoors you're around.

vantexan

Good scores could give the idea that everyone is content with the compensation.

The problem with giving poor scores is the risk that it'll be seen as, "They're just going to always oppose everything so there's no point in trying." The SM is playing to that and no one knows for sure how strong that possibility is.
From what I've seen in numerous stations giving poor scores about the pay hasn't increased the pay at all. They just want good scores for propaganda purposes. The only thing that appears to have finally gotten them to budge is the high turnover rate. Twentysomethings would rather take a little less pay than to hump all day for a no future job.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
From what I've seen in numerous stations giving poor scores about the pay hasn't increased the pay at all. They just want good scores for propaganda purposes. The only thing that appears to have finally gotten them to budge is the high turnover rate. Twentysomethings would rather take a little less pay than to hump all day for a no future job.
The problem at my station is there are a bunch of younguns who still believe the hype they've heard about FedEx and a lot of foreign born people for whom, compared to the working conditions where they come from, FedEx is great. Last year our scores on pay and benefits were pretty high. And I'm in an expensive market.

SmithBarney

Well about 80% of our work group is topped out, so they all think our wages are great. Then when you mention that you make half of what they do.. they just say "we all started down there" except I didn't just start, I've been here 10 years...

Remember the SFA is and always has been completely voluntary enjoy the free food and dinners, and say thanks but no thanks.

59 Dano

Remember the SFA is and always has been completely voluntary enjoy the free food and dinners, and say thanks but no thanks.

Why not take it, even if you're going to go full negative? Two or three people tanking it with negative results to everything will definitely draw much more attention to your manager than two or three people not taking it. I don't understand what people think is gained by not taking it.

MAKAVELI

Why not take it, even if you're going to go full negative? Two or three people tanking it with negative results to everything will definitely draw much more attention to your manager than two or three people not taking it. I don't understand what people think is gained by not taking it.
Because not taking it is telling management take your bull :censored2:, lip service, fake ass survey and shove it where the sun don't shine.;)

vantexan

Because mgmt wants 100% participation that they can point to for propaganda purposes. If you work 10+ years with no real improvement in your situation you have every right to feel it isn't worth the time or trouble.

vantexan

Well about 80% of our work group is topped out, so they all think our wages are great. Then when you mention that you make half of what they do.. they just say "we all started down there" except I didn't just start, I've been here 10 years...

And when they made your pay it was worth considerably more than now.

overflowed

I've lived in both states with and without. I think you must have punched in incorrect numbers or you are not just a manager but run the region. Seems way off.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I told my manager that if what they say is true, that if every question effects his score, it's in his best interest for me to NOT take it. He didn't have a response to that.

Express Courier

I saw a long time manager who I know was a good manager (not my manager tho) get tanked on sfa and he took it personally and applied for another location. He's gone and new manager is an idiot. Good job on that one dummies. They made it worse lol.

MAKAVELI

I saw a long time manager who I know was a good manager (not my manager tho) get tanked on sfa and he took it personally and applied for another location. He's gone and new manager is an idiot. Good job on that one dummies. They made it worse lol.
SFA is a joke. It's a game played by management to control the masses. If a majority refuses to participate we take control of the game. I really can't understand why most don't understand the game management plays.

overflowed

The people you think are good managers will be drivers again next year. All the good managers I've met don't last long. At least they will be topped out though.