clean hairy

Of course a customer will be happy to go to make 2 or 3 trils to the vehicle during a downpour or in bitter cold to get all the stuff they expect!
How long will this thing wait before it marks the delivery as ni1 ?

purehavanne

I don’t think this thing is meant to run a route. It’s meant to take 2-3 hours of work off several routes so they can cut more routes out.

If this thing does get adopted by UPS I guess we just sit and wait for universal basic income. Let the robots do all the work in society. We drink beer instead...

brown_trousers

No it doesn't.

Do you expect businesses to come out to this thing and get their packages? Or to load their outgoing into this thing?

Most houses we deliver to there is nobody home. How does this thing get the package to the porch?

I believe there is a 250 lb weight limit on this thing right now. What is that? 10 packages or less?

It might make sense for pizza or groceries, the customer is home and comes out to the car to get their stuff, but for package delivery, they have a long, long way to go.

So you wont mind if they start sending out automated vehicles delivering some of your stops then?

brown_trousers

I don’t think this thing is meant to run a route. It’s meant to take 2-3 hours of work off several routes so they can cut more routes out.

If this thing does get adopted by UPS I guess we just sit and wait for universal basic income. Let the robots do all the work in society. We drink beer instead...

No worries. If machines take our jobs we can just "pull ourselves up by our bootstraps"

thats how it works... right?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
So you wont mind if they start sending out automated vehicles delivering some of your stops then?

You obviously missed my point. There won't be any automated vehicles to deliver "any" of my stops.

It ain't gonna happen. At least not in the foreseeable future.

How do you expect this automated vehicle to "deliver" these stops? Get to the house, honk the horn and expect the customer, who is not home, to come out and get the package?

Yes, they could put a dent in the pizza delivery business, or grocery delivery, but not UPS, FedEx or the USPS.

I could see Amazon using them for their same day delivery. Order a package and be home to take it off this autonomous delivery vehicle when it arrives.

It’s meant to take 2-3 hours of work off several routes so they can cut more routes out.

Again, how is this thing going to "deliver" this work?

I got it. Get to the driveway, open the roof and eject it with precision accuracy right to the front porch. Or maybe deploy a drone to fly it to the porch.

brown_trousers

You obviously missed my point. There won't be any automated vehicles to deliver "any" of my stops.

It ain't gonna happen. At least not in the foreseeable future.

How do you expect this automated vehicle to "deliver" these stops? Get to the house, honk the horn and expect the customer, who is not home, to come out and get the package?

Yes, they could put a dent in the pizza delivery business, or grocery delivery, but not UPS, FedEx or the USPS.

I could see Amazon using them for their same day delivery. Order a package and be home to take it off this autonomous delivery vehicle when it arrives.

Again, how is this thing going to "deliver" this work?

I got it. Get to the driveway, open the roof and eject it with precision accuracy right to the front porch. Or maybe deploy a drone to fly it to the porch.

UPS doesnt just do residential. We do commercial as well. I could easily imagine large drop boxes in commercial locations that feed into these automated trucks.

And cheaper levels of service that require customers to pick up deliveries from automated trucks.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
UPS doesnt just do residential. We do commercial as well. I could easily imagine large drop boxes in commercial locations that feed into these automated trucks.

And cheaper levels of service that require customers to pick up deliveries from automated trucks.

Never thought of that !!!
I'm sure in the future, they could leave lockboxes outside and one of these picks it up and dumps the contents into the back.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

By the time something like this is ever even on the drawing board, 3D printer technology will enable everyone to print whatever they need and nobody will need UPS.

My job is safe. The next generation is safe, and even the generation after that.

Beyond that, maybe automation will replace the package driver.

But, by then, like I said, we will print anything we need.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
I say bring it. Send one out on my route and in a matter of minutes, Bubba will seize that contraption and convert it into a firewood hauling, mud riding, beer fetching work of art. Complete with a Lynyrd Skynyrd bumper sticker.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
What would be more costly to UPS? Driving into a slight ditch, or running over a pedestrian?

Are you trying to say that it's cheaper to fix an automated vehicle that goes into a ditch as opposed to a real person running over a pedestrian?

You sir, are delusional to equate the two.

Are you also trying to say that an automated vehicle can't kill anybody?

I guess you missed the well publicized stories.

Dr.Brownz

I think if it meant replacing it's entire union workforce over night, they would wave bye to us while purchasing a million of these trucks. Also this could easily replace most routes. I've been in 4 buildings throughout the west coast. Most miles I've ever done on a route is 90. I've covered easily over 100 routes. Most routes to about 40 to 50 miles.

Several over 150 miles routes here and a couple in the 300 club

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
Are you trying to say that it's cheaper to fix an automated vehicle that goes into a ditch as opposed to a real person running over a pedestrian?

You sir, are delusional to equate the two.

Are you also trying to say that an automated vehicle can't kill anybody?

I guess you missed the well publicized stories.
Actually I was referring to the rural routes vs. metropolitan areas. Which one would be first to be implemented full automation?

I was making a point that it would be a lot harder to automate routes in a city than rural. An automated vehicle eventually 100% would make a fatal error. Where as an automated vehicle out in the country would be much more feasible.

I never equated the two. Actually quite the opposite. Maybe next time you shouldn’t trash somebody before understanding what was said. But what do I know

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Actually I was referring to the rural routes vs. metropolitan areas. Which one would be first to be implemented full automation?

I was making a point that it would be a lot harder to automate routes in a city than rural. An automated vehicle eventually 100% would make a fatal error. Where as an automated vehicle out in the country would be much more feasible.

I never equated the two. Actually quite the opposite. Maybe next time you shouldn’t trash somebody before understanding what was said. But what do I know

Didn't sound that way when I read it. And I apologize.

I should have said that you're dilussional "if" you're trying to aquate the two.

I like your second explanation a whole lot better.

I'm sorry!

MAKAVELI

I bet a carton of milk would cost $25 if delivered out of that. Leave it to California to come up with a hair brained skeam like this. I wonder how much taxpayer money was wasted on starting up this company.
Same California people developed Apple and the first smart phone.

rod

Retired 22 years
For those that will use the service, I'm sure this is a good idea.

I'm not a good judge of "new things". Hell---I swore nobody would be stupid enough to pay a dollar for a bottle of someone elses tap water but look where that has gone.