Uniform Standards

hoser

Industrial Slob
1) I think that you would be surprised about how MANY customers really DO care about these things. Can't tell you how many times my customers have told me that I look more professional than FedEx and especially DHL drivers. It's all part of our image.

2) I do care and I agree that standards should be followed.

Well it's perspective I guess. I do a downtown run full of bike messengers. These guys look "rough" with their piercings, tattoos, and dress, but all the receptionists (varying from the middle-aged soccer moms, the daft 30-somethings, and the bombshell 20-somethings) LOVE these guys and they treat them like gold. They offer them water, coffee, ask them about their day, and they talk about various stuff if there's ever a second to spare. And although these guys look rough, they're really nice and considerate to their clients.

You know why they're so loved? The actual service. The receptionist picks up the phone, a friendly bike messenger (who TRULY WANTS their business-they're getting paid piecework) shows up in under 10 minutes, and their bank run is done within the hour. The dreadlocks, tattoos, piercings have no effect. These offices want the job done right, and they don't care about what decorations are on that guy's body. All they ask is that the guy is nice and he does what they need.

This is my perspective into it, based on my white-collar downtown loop. Btw, I find all the guys with crazy piercings are the nicest.

3) Sad, but true. Although a few of us still look like that.
It's sad that the 6'1'' white buzz-cut UPS driver image is no longer reality and our workforce is becoming more socially and racially diverse?
:dots:

upsguysavannah

It's sad that the 6'1'' white buzz-cut UPS driver image is no longer reality and our workforce is becoming more socially and racially diverse?
:dots:

Nice try, but no... it's sad that so many of our drivers are becoming fat and not keeping up their appearances and adhering to uniform standards like we used to!

under the radar

A Trained Professional
Nice try, but no... it's sad that so many of our drivers are becoming fat and not keeping up their appearances and adhering to uniform standards like we used to!
Amen savannah!

By the way, I was going to talk to my ctr. mgr. today about this but he was busy dealing with a theft problem and I thought I should give him some room.

jds4lunch

What the hell is YOUPS??
........I follow every other appearance standard, but I refuse to pay $6 a pair for horribly made socks that are far too long for sneaker wearers.

There are some drivers in my centre that were given UPS ankle socks, but since mine are the regular length, I just roll them down under my heel so they don't stick out of the top of my shoe. We might have to wear the socks with the shorts, but nothing says how we have to wear them.

Dirty Savage

Paranoid Android
You wanna talk awesome uniforms? Today I stopped to chat and have a quick smoke with a fellow employee. Whilst we were chatting, he raised his arms above his head to stretch and it was revealed that he had giant holes in his armpit area of his shirt. I was like, dude wtf?

As for myself, I have holes in the right sleeve of all my summer shirts due to getting literally hung up on the outside door handle of my p5.

There's a couple of people at my centre that have shirts so old and thread-bare that, at the right angle, you can see right through them. One of them has a shirt with the olympic logo on it, so that tells you how old that sucker is.

Most people here don't shine their shoes. Indeed, I wear shoes that cannot be shined (but they are damned comfortable). In the winter I wear big-ass Sorel's because, seriously, it's winter and you NEED those. Actually, we were personally told by the president of UPS Canada that we could wear whatever the hell we wanted to stay warm in the winter unless, and I quote, "it was hot pink with 'screw the man' written down the side".

Most of us wear our hats to the point where they become almost camoflauged with all the sweat and dirt. I know my last one was turning green when I finally ditched it.

There is one guy here who wears his shoes until his toes poke out . . . and then he wears them for another two months!

Sadly, I could go on and on.

loserupser

Two minute Therapist
I believe the drop in uniform appearance, started with the dirty truck look. We are being shown thats it ok to be substandard. My truck at times has gone over two months without washing!!! It all begins at the top.
PLEASE!
wash the
TRUCKS

Torn77ag

I wear black ankle socks too and follow every other uniform rule. Its stupid to wear those cheap socks that you have to pay for and they look dumb as well. I dont think customers care about our socks.lol!!

hoser

Industrial Slob
nice try? i'm not out to get you, i just mis-read what you said, and i took this interpretation seriously.

and i agree that everyone's getting fatter. but remember, our society is becoming more suburbanized, reliant on automobiles and the drive-thru. that's what you get when you build suburbs and highways to support these suburbs...

ditto44

I haven't noticed any drivers here in Florida out of uniform, however the package cars look horrible, they must only get washed once a month or so. It leaves a very bad impression on the public.:dissapointed:

The Brown Santa

Ping Pong Ball
1) I think that you would be surprised about how MANY customers really DO care about these things. Can't tell you how many times my customers have told me that I look more professional

Can't tell you how many customers really compliment me on my exposed tattoos on my legs....

It's 2007, not 1907....

maninbrowns

what color is the shirt under our uniform shirt supposed to be? i can't remember if we can choose white or brown? or white or black? also what the crap is up with the pants? i wear a 30 ok? the smallest size they have are 32 i can deal with that but they were out so i had to take 34 LONG and hem and take in the waist. that's ridiculous talk about being slack on the standard. they told me i can wear them like they are or if i feel like it i can have them altered. like it shouldn't be an option. also how can i stay on after the season? i am busting my :censored2: but want to make sure i can stay on. any hints or insdes?:happy2:

rod

Retired 22 years
what color is the shirt under our uniform shirt supposed to be? i can't remember if we can choose white or brown? or white or black? also what the crap is up with the pants? i wear a 30 ok? the smallest size they have are 32 i can deal with that but they were out so i had to take 34 LONG and hem and take in the waist. that's ridiculous talk about being slack on the standard. they told me i can wear them like they are or if i feel like it i can have them altered. like it shouldn't be an option. also how can i stay on after the season? i am busting my :censored2: but want to make sure i can stay on. any hints or insdes?:happy2:

A 30? Man your going to fall through you underwear if you don't put on a few lbs.:peaceful: