Union Dues question and corruption in the Union

Brain Genocide

Don't get me wrong, I'm for what the union does for the people. It's the media who does more harm than good when a strike is on, I think the media does not tell the people the whole truth to a strike......but coming back to my issue ( and maybe that of other helpers). Some of us can't afford to loose 70% of the first check to dues and taxes, Part time helpers should only pay a weekly due fee in my opinion....I'm only on for 3 weeks, pay the full month. Think the union will pro-rate and send me monies Back??

Listen up fellow teamsters.....we are very very lucky to have our UNION. Get ready for a big fight with UPS in our next contract....also be prepared to strike. Nothin is perfect in life even our Union but the other side is far far worse. Stop whining and wasting energy on calling the union corupt. If you dont like the union get out, its as simple as that. We get one hell of a package deal only having to pay union dues. So insted of calling out the union why dont u call out the company? They are the ones trying to make you pay for your health care not give you raises yearly and tryin to fire you for some cheaper replacement.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I write off my cell phone on my taxes.

You're not suppose to. Courts have ruled that if an item being claimed as a business expense is being used-or can logically be used-for non-business purposes, then it cannot be written off. In other words, if you were to pay for your UPS uniform, you could claim it on your taxes. I, on the other hand, could not claim my street clothes that I wear for the Preload. Since you use your cellphone for non-business calls, it cannot be deducted. If you have a dedicated line for work, you could claim those charges, but if you made even one personal call from that line it'd come under question.

That said, the odds of being audited and penalized over a cellphone are poor. So unless you cheat your taxes in other ways, I wouldn't worry.

We have three part time sups driving seasonaly and I turned in there names and now they are paying dues. The funny thing is they never got their withdrawal card when the went from partime teamsters to partime sup so they have to pay their initiation all over again. Lol lol lol

Brain Genocide

Payday today. I was mentally ready for a financial shock....and boy did I get one today. NO DUE's !! I guess it's because I'm a seasonal helper, or contracted privatly. It was a nice surprise, and I also got a few dollars for the orientation. I bought lunch today

It's quite a shock when the helper gets his first check and $100 is missing.

stink219

Exactly. You "earned" that pension- the Union did not negotiate it. Nobody should pay dues.
Are you kidding me?! The union DID negotiate it for you. Your pension is based on an allotment of your total wage. For every hour you work UPS puts in money to your health, welfare and pension. And guess what? That allotment of funds is............wait for it........NEGOTIATED!! So thank you to our great union, for less than my cell phone, I get job protection, an 80k a year wage, a pension, free benefits and countless discounts.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Are you kidding me?! The union DID negotiate it for you. Your pension is based on an allotment of your total wage. For every hour you work UPS puts in money to your health, welfare and pension. And guess what? That allotment of funds is............wait for it........NEGOTIATED!! So thank you to our great union, for less than my cell phone, I get job protection, an 80k a year wage, a pension, free benefits and countless discounts.
Google "sarcasm" and get back to me.