Union presidential debate

2old2load

Anybody watch this? And if you did what is your reaction? Personally i was looking for obrien to have an easy win but i dont think so now, Vairma had valid points.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck

hope this helps

Big Rigger

I don't know who started that thread but some one should buy him a beer!
Prob either V or H?
I got an email yesterday supporting V and it was more nitpicking about O. No substance. It called the TU slate OZ//TDU. Evidently the subliminal dividing is what V is incorporating while accusing O of that himself. Although I'm not a TDUer they exist because of disgruntled membership over the years. Looks like the pot is calling the kettle black.
In addition, V attacked the Vote No movement just like other (non UPS) BAs did. We never heard of that in 2013 until TeamCare was being forced down our throat. Where was the disconnect? Trust. It has been lacking for years. We never got ANY info about TeamCare until well after the first vote (not to mention that two whole regions were allowed to vote on our healthcare but they weren't subject to having it themselves) and information was left out such as the one punch per week vs one punch a month. What did that all precipitate? More distrust.

V pounds on UPSers, blaming us for the dissention amongst the rank and file but it's the crap that got forced down UPSers throats the last contract that poured more fuel on the fire. Every 22.4 driver needs to remember that when it's time to vote because the company is raking in major profits, the bonuses have been big for non-union employees and the stock price has more than doubled since March of 2020 all primarily benefiting the management not the blue collar workers working in 150° trucks and trailers and at risk of Covid every day they're on the street.

V says that O's "chest bumping" style is wrong. I believe that shows how out of touch he is in the work environment UPSers endure every day. Maybe he needs to get into a package car for a few months during the summer and deliver what UPSers have to handle (by hand, not palletized) and he'll lose a few pounds and gain some respect.

He said he got Sysco a good CBA? I talked with a Sysco driver who was truly aggravated about them caving in to the concession of discipline for distracted driving when they allowed cameras in the cabs a few years back. UPS drivers need to take note and research who they think will fight against technology that will unduly discipline a driver. Every disciplinary concession will slowly increase the fear factor in the already stressful environment members endure and it looks like V isn't concerned about that as much.

I hope every minority black, Hispanic, and female member remembers that you are "token" people in Vairma's eyes unless you are on his slate. That is his current mindset according to the debate, not old news, and that was a very telling statement.

This is my opinion only from the debate I watched this morning. I respect the opinions of folks that like VH but humility and honesty means a lot to members who elect leadership and I didn't see those qualities in V. This election, imo is going to have a major effect on working conditions, disciplinary action, and pensions going forward. Choose wisely.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Prob either V or H?
I got an email yesterday supporting V and it was more nitpicking about O. No substance. It called the TU slate OZ//TDU. Evidently the subliminal dividing is what V is incorporating while accusing O of that himself. Although I'm not a TDUer they exist because of disgruntled membership over the years. Looks like the pot is calling the kettle black.
In addition, V attacked the Vote No movement just like other (non UPS) BAs did. We never heard of that in 2013 until TeamCare was being forced down our throat. Where was the disconnect? Trust. It has been lacking for years. We never got ANY info about TeamCare until well after the first vote (not to mention that two whole regions were allowed to vote on our healthcare but they weren't subject to having it themselves) and information was left out such as the one punch per week vs one punch a month. What did that all precipitate? More distrust.

V pounds on UPSers, blaming us for the dissention amongst the rank and file but it's the crap that got forced down UPSers throats the last contract that poured more fuel on the fire. Every 22.4 driver needs to remember that when it's time to vote because the company is raking in major profits, the bonuses have been big for non-union employees and the stock price has more than doubled since March of 2020 all primarily benefiting the management not the blue collar workers working in 150° trucks and trailers and at risk of Covid every day they're on the street.

V says that O's "chest bumping" style is wrong. I believe that shows how out of touch he is in the work environment UPSers endure every day. Maybe he needs to get into a package car for a few months during the summer and deliver what UPSers have to handle (by hand, not palletized) and he'll lose a few pounds and gain some respect.

He said he got Sysco a good CBA? I talked with a Sysco driver who was truly aggravated about them caving in to the concession of discipline for distracted driving when they allowed cameras in the cabs a few years back. UPS drivers need to take note and research who they think will fight against technology that will unduly discipline a driver. Every disciplinary concession will slowly increase the fear factor in the already stressful environment members endure and it looks like V isn't concerned about that as much.

I hope every minority black, Hispanic, and female member remembers that you are "token" people in Vairma's eyes unless you are on his slate. That is his current mindset according to the debate, not old news, and that was a very telling statement.

This is my opinion only from the debate I watched this morning. I respect the opinions of folks that like VH but humility and honesty means a lot to members who elect leadership and I didn't see those qualities in V. This election, imo is going to have a major effect on working conditions, disciplinary action, and pensions going forward. Choose wisely.

I was surprised that O’Brien did not attack Varima on his Hoffa endorsement, at least Vairma admitted that he was endorsed by the previous administration. I guess he had no other choice.

Both were nervous at first and the questions were not deep.

Big Rigger

I was surprised that O’Brien did not attack Varima on his Hoffa endorsement, at least Vairma admitted that he was endorsed by the previous administration. I guess he had no other choice.

Both were nervous at first and the questions were not deep.
Seemed like O'Brien took the higher road more often. Mud slinging was not going to help the membership make decisions and I believe Vairma attacked Sean too often, claimed what he accomplished in Colorado over and over without giving any details, and successes in both camps should've been cited and then woven into how they would apply those successes into their leadership roles as GP.

542thruNthru

Seemed like O'Brien took the higher road more often. Mud slinging was not going to help the membership make decisions and I believe Vairma attacked Sean too often.
I agree. It seemed Vairma was slinging more mud than O'Brien. That's the problems with debates though. The topics never really seem to actually be discussed.

Whereistheunion

Hoffa folks must go, our last 2 or 3 contracts were full of give backs. It's time we get a contract that benefits us. I'm with the Sean O Brian slate, NO more sleeping with company. UPS has the resources to make our work lives flow smoother we got to squeeze it out of em.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Hoffa folks must go, our last 2 or 3 contracts were full of give backs. It's time we get a contract that benefits us. I'm with the Sean O Brian slate, NO more sleeping with company. UPS has the resources to make our work lives flow smoother we got to squeeze it out of em.

Hoffa is retiring in March...It could be that no matter who becomes president of our Union the bureaucracy in place will be hampering any positive changes for their membership.

I agree O’Brien appears to be the front runner if you are not happy with what went down with the 2008, 2013 and the pathetic 2018 contracts.

UPS has over 300, 000 potential voters, less than 250,000 teamster members even voted in the last election out of 1,300,000 + worldwide. We control who will be getting into office bottom line, it is a matter of getting people to exercise their right of vote.

meritocracy

Sean O'Brien did great and made me a lot more confident in my support for him. Vairma's attacks were weak and he comes across as a weak guy in general. When he tried to paint O'Brien as a corrupt union boss who threw his members under the bus just because some of Sean's members got arrested at a picket that really pissed me off. If you aren't getting in trouble that means you aren't fighting, you're sitting around giving foot rubs to the bosses of the corporations we negotiate with.

Whereistheunion

Our new CEO, makes the same repeated statement " We UPS will deliver value to our shareholders" She authorized a 5 Billion dollar share buyback plan last quarter. If UPS can do that, UPS has the resources to make our work lives smoother and better and deliver value to it's employees. Our benefits and pay are some of the best, but our work conditions are some of the worst in the industry. The 9.5 language is a joke and this 2 teir work system is mostly Bull- 💩 could go on and on. We need STRONG representation, the New CEO needs a powerful welcome message, from our UNION.

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
Our new CEO, makes the same repeated statement " We UPS will deliver value to our shareholders" She authorized a 5 Billion dollar share buyback plan last quarter. If UPS can do that, UPS has the resources to make our work lives smoother and better and deliver value to it's employees. Our benefits and pay are some of the best, but our work conditions are some of the worst in the industry. The 9.5 language is a joke and this 2 teir work system is mostly Bull- 💩 could go on and on. We need STRONG representation, the New CEO needs a powerful welcome message, from our UNION.
At times UPS feels like a Japanese "black company"

Reywas3

Thought O'Brien was more confident and better spoken.

It comes down to an establishment vs outsider type of vote.

Personally, I can't vote for someone who accepts Hoffa's endorsement.