union steward.honoring contract?

jerry

article 22. section 1.if i stay behind at building waiting for extra work if any im currently preload/air driver. why does my union steward oppose of me driving?.is he violating the National Master Agreement?at the time the building is empty no one with more seniority.im ussually last one to leave.

packageguy

The way I see it, you can only do air or preload, no ground. SO WHY WOULD YOU STAY BEHIND. ALL DRIVERS ARE GONE, ON ROAD. WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING FOR.

jerry

air is always left behind. everyday.all drivers are gone. management ends up delivering packages. so why not me get the extra work?

packageguy

air is always left behind. everyday.all drivers are gone. management ends up delivering packages. so why not me get the extra work?

If that's the case, YES you're right I would do the samething. I don't like supervisors doing our work. Your steward should honor that.

jerry

thank you. seems like you're the only one that agrees. example today 7/12/2012. air pkgs left behind i go brown up. union steward sees me goes over to management tells them they cant use me because of seniority. he looked around and no one to be found. steward insisted disscussion whent on for a while i ended up going home and managment with diad board and packages in hand. what can i do? been going on for years now. union with me or against me????

packageguy

thank you. seems like you're the only one that agrees. example today 7/12/2012. air pkgs left behind i go brown up. union steward sees me goes over to management tells them they cant use me because of seniority. he looked around and no one to be found. steward insisted disscussion whent on for a while i ended up going home and managment with diad board and packages in hand. what can i do? been going on for years now. union with me or against me????

I WOULD PUT A GRIEVANCE IN FOR SUPERVISORS WORKING. you will get paid, one way or another. Don't be afraid to put in grievance. By you not putting one in they will keep doing it. Do yourself a favor, PUT IN A GRIEVANCE.

As far as your steward, you should notify your union hall. Let them know what's going on. Sounds like your steward cuts deals

jerry

i have. but management is willing to give me work they have no problem with that. my problem is not with management but with my union steward. he keeps on bringing up some list of ppl in his friend circle and inssists on using them. but when they do call they say no to work. so wouldnt that be disrupting service/work stoppage by union steward? article 4

packageguy

i have. but management is willing to give me work they have no problem with that. my problem is not with management but with my union steward. he keeps on bringing up some list of ppl in his friend circle and inssists on using them. but when they do call they say no to work. so wouldnt that be disrupting service/work stoppage by union steward? article 4

The best way to settle this, call union hall and let them know what's going on.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
In my area we call that "solicting work". When you are done please leave the building. If we need you we will tell before you leave or will call you. Yes, I do call my air drivers.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In my area we call it "initiative".

What the OP should have done is ask his mgt team if they needed help and to let them know they could call him at home if they needed help later in the day. The center manager will remember this and keep him in mind if the need arises in the future. If he was told he was not needed he should have left the building.

just_a_number

i had this problem a few years back....write down the tr# of the pkgs left in....next day get ur steward and ask him to track them and see who is del. them...if steward wont help call ur b.a. if he doesnt help me got to the national labor review board dont let them walk all over u

just_a_number

In my area we call that "solicting work". When you are done please leave the building. If we need you we will tell before you leave or will call you. Yes, I do call my air drivers.
call it what u want boss...i think we see it as a union member making sure union work is being done by union members not sups helping ur bonus out

Billy Boxtosser

I WOULD PUT A GRIEVANCE IN FOR SUPERVISORS WORKING. you will get paid, one way or another. Don't be afraid to put in grievance. By you not putting one in they will keep doing it. Do yourself a favor, PUT IN A GRIEVANCE.

As far as your steward, you should notify your union hall. Let them know what's going on. Sounds like your steward cuts deals

Sounds like our steward!! :-(

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
In my area we call it "initiative".

What the OP should have done is ask his mgt team if they needed help and to let them know they could call him at home if they needed help later in the day. The center manager will remember this and keep him in mind if the need arises in the future. If he was told he was not needed he should have left the building.

I don't think we are hearing the whole story here. I am the first to file on a sup working, but there are other parts of the contract that need to be followed as well. The most important part of any contract is seniority, and it sounds like that is what the steward is trying to protect. He may be going about it the wrong way though. The op hanging around to get the extra work is a clear attempt to run an end around the seniority of others. I would allow the op to do the work and have the top seniority person file a grievance for the time worked as a start.

nwupsman

There are two things at play here. The violation of management working is correct but handled incorrectly. Management must contact qualifies air drivers in seniorty order by phone, text, etc. drivers are resposible for seeing who shuttles what out to them. If management is shuttling air/ground out to drivers then the driver is resposible for filing a grievance against that supervisor. Even though he might noy get paid for it our ultimate goal is to either add another driver to the payroll or stop the practice off sending out left ins to drivers. Now if you want to stay around on the premise that they will get to your name on the list of qualified people to call then you can. In truth they are should have a sign up list for this extra work posted if they are doing it everyday. I agree with the shop steward on this one.

QKRSTKR

I don't think hanging around is a crime. He knows there may be extra work so makes himself available. It's the companies job to make sure senority is followed. If the OP is worked and senior people wanted the work or were not called it's up to them to file. OP isn't doing anything wrong if senior people don't want the work. I agree were not hearing the whole story here. UPS runs its operation. Not the stewards. So if UPS sends out the OP with extra air work, what it the steward gonna say about it? What can he file on?

JonFrum

For what it's worth, UPS has a policy of prohibiting "hourlies" (as they derogatorily like to call us) from hanging around off the clock. Employees are to show up for work only a few minutes early, and leave shortly after they have punched out.

UPS doesn't always enforce this policy fairly, but it is useful to them to prevent union or campaign activity (unless it's pro-Hoffa), as well as leaving the field open to supervisors working when the inevitable left-behind packages are found, or an emergency pick-up must be made.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
... "hourlies" (as they derogatorily like to call us) from hanging around off the clock.
I am curious why that is derogatory. I am salaried and that never has bothered me nor hourly when I was one.
These two terms are a universal (not specific to UPS) way of replying to whether a person is paid a salary regardless of hours worked or whether they get paid by the number of hours worked.
It has nothing to do with whether a person is in the Union or not. Non-Union hourly employees are referred to as hourly as well.
What term would you suggest to be used for employees that get paid by the hour?