union steward.honoring contract?

JonFrum

I am curious why that is derogatory. I am salaried and that never has bothered me nor hourly when I was one.
These two terms are a universal (not specific to UPS) way of replying to whether a person is paid a salary regardless of hours worked or whether they get paid by the number of hours worked.
It has nothing to do with whether a person is in the Union or not. Non-Union hourly employees are referred to as hourly as well.
What term would you suggest to be used for employees that get paid by the hour?
Article 37 requires Management to treat "employees with dignity and respect at all times." That means referring to employees by their name, or by their job title, (sorter, preloader, etc.,) or by their revelant status (part-time, full-time, Local Sort, etc.,) depending on the situation.

Except perhaps in the Payroll Department, there is almost never a situation where an employee is to be referred to by his payroll method.

Chinese workers didn't like to be called Coolies. Dark skined people don't appreciate being called Darkies. A hard-working husband doesn't like to learn his spoiled, high-maintenance wife calls him "my Meal Ticket." And I'm sure low-level Supervisors and Managers wouldn't like upper Management or especially "Hourlies" calling them "the Saleried Help." It's demeaning.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Article 37 requires Management to treat "employees with dignity and respect at all times." That means referring to employees by their name, or by their job title, (sorter, preloader, etc.,) or by their revelant status (part-time, full-time, Local Sort, etc.,) depending on the situation.

Except perhaps in the Payroll Department, there is almost never a situation where an employee is to be referred to by his payroll method.

Chinese workers didn't like to be called Coolies. Dark skined people don't appreciate being called Darkies. A hard-working husband doesn't like to learn his spoiled, high-maintenance wife calls him "my Meal Ticket." And I'm sure low-level Supervisors and Managers wouldn't like upper Management or especially "Hourlies" calling them "the Saleried Help." It's demeaning.

Chinese workers didn't like to be called Coolies. Dark skined people don't appreciate being called Darkies. A hard-working husband doesn't like to learn his spoiled, high-maintenance wife calls him "my Meal Ticket."

This appears to be a strange, dysfunctional attempt to relate racism to "hourly versus salaried" categorization. I simply don't understand it ... sorry.

And I'm sure low-level Supervisors and Managers wouldn't like upper Management or especially "Hourlies" calling them "the Saleried Help." It's demeaning.

I'm referred to as Salaried or if I was referred to as Salaried Help ( BTW, I've never heard "Help" applied to any employee classification) it would not bother me because that is what I am. It certainly isn't demeaning.

I am paid a monthly salary and as such the amount of time I work is irrelevant. An hourly employee is paid by the hour for time worked so time worked is very relevant. I always assumed when I heard the term "hourly" that this meant, as a management employee, I had to be aware of the hours worked to accomplish a defined task or deliverable. I work with consultants who are paid by the hour and I am very careful to not to cause them to work additional hours and to make sure the deliverable I need is very important and needed. I don't have that concern with salaried employees.

BTW, there are salaried employees that are not management if that is what your rub is.

A salaried employee is overhead or fixed cost while an hourly employee is variable cost.

I really don't understand the concept you are talking about. I will give it some thought ... I'm always willing to learn and understand new concepts.

JonFrum

A part-timer who is guaranteed 3.5 hours, and a full-timer who is guaranteed eight hours is not really an "hourly." You have to pay them a contractually guaranteed minimum salary equal to 3.5 or eight hours even if their shifts end before that. (Assuming they invoke their guarantee.) This applies to almost all inside bargaining unit employees (part-time, full-time and Article 22.3.)

I also object to Supervisors and Managers telling workers "I own you" when referring to their time on the clock, and to the fact that the employee is not allowed to punch out even after the guarantee is up.

Managers and Supervisors don't get paid literally by the hour, but they do have very strong expectations that they must put a certain amount of hours in. Try working ten or twenty hours a week and see how long that is allowed to last.

JonFrum

And finally, to state the obvious: So-called "hourlies" don't even get paid by the hour. We get paid by the minute, (one sixtieth of an hour,) or by the timeclock "click," (one one-hundredth of an hour.)

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
So I guess we're "minuties", or something like that? I'm an hourly employee and I've never had a problem with being called that. And John I do hope you're being humorous and not pedantic. Per the contract we are paid at a negotiated hourly rate, not a minute rate or a click rate, thus we are hourly employees.